WiFi and 4G
frr

If you have a WiFi connection, does it automatically turn off 4G?

If so, why?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: WiFi and 4G
patt3332
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll take a couple of stabs at it.

Turning on WiFi always turns off my 4G connection.

1. If you have a good WiFi connection, turning off 4G so it isn't searching for a connection will conserve your battery.

2. Depending on the WiFi connection, it's probably close to the speed of your 4G connection and you don't need both connections at the same time.

There are probably other reasons, but those are the first two I thought of.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
patt3332
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll take a couple of stabs at it.

Turning on WiFi always turns off my 4G connection.

1. If you have a good WiFi connection, turning off 4G so it isn't searching for a connection will conserve your battery.

2. Depending on the WiFi connection, it's probably close to the speed of your 4G connection and you don't need both connections at the same time.

There are probably other reasons, but those are the first two I thought of.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

That answer covers the question just fine in my opinion..

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i would also think that turning off the 4g (or 3g for that matter) would ensure that the data is transfered through the wifi connection and does not consume part of your allowed data (if you aren't on an unlimited plan).

0 Likes
patt3332
Enthusiast - Level 3

AZSAULKI, I forgot about 4G affecting you data plan if you're not paying for unlimited. Thanks for adding that.

0 Likes
mattht2

I have the same problem, but it's an issue.  Either my WiFi or my 4g is on, but neither is on at the same time.  The problem is that if one of them doesn't have a strong signal, it does not default to the other one.  I have to switch one off and turn the other one on.  They both used to run at the same time.  I bought a battery saver app that caused one of them to turn off.  I uninstalled the app and I'm still stuck with neither of them working at the same time.  Can this be fixed?  It's very inconvenient.

0 Likes
abbeyrae8

thank you for this info! I wanted to confirm that when I am connected to WiFi, I am not eating into my monthly data allowance.  The post above states this. Am I reading this correctly?

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Live WIFI connection always connects over the data connection when in range and once you get away from WIFi the data connection will automatically power on and connect to the mobile network.

0 Likes