Why don't smileys work in Kit Kat?
JonnieChimpo1
Enthusiast - Level 1

It seems like smileys no longer work. Smiley Happy or 😘 no longer translate into graphic symbols. Seems like it is a deliberate choice by Google on all Kit Kat phones to use emoji now embedded into OS. Makes no sense though that smileys don't function. They don't work in the stock Messages app or Hangouts but 8Sms does have an option to turn them on. Anyone seeing this problem?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Smileys no longer work in Kit Kat?
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

JonnieChimpo1 wrote:

I am using Google Keyboard but I have tried the HTC Sense keyboard.  It's not only that a colon and right parenthesis won't show this Smiley Happy but that even looking back at my old texts, they don't translate into graphical images.  Here is what happens when I type them manually or select them from Google Keyboard emoji screen.  I have a feeling this is by design now.

2014-02-09 02.51.39.jpg

You are using the last tab of smiley choices. Select the smiley character (second from the left) to get the yellow colored emoticons. It is the same thing on the HTC keyboard.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using the stock keyboard or a replacement keyboard?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JonnieChimpo1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am using Google Keyboard but I have tried the HTC Sense keyboard.  It's not only that a colon and right parenthesis won't show this Smiley Happy but that even looking back at my old texts, they don't translate into graphical images.  Here is what happens when I type them manually or select them from Google Keyboard emoji screen.  I have a feeling this is by design now.

2014-02-09 02.51.39.jpg

0 Likes
stapel_eliz

You mention 8sms. Does this app allow smileys to be inserted? Does it allow old messages to display the emoticons as smileys rather than as keyboard characters?

Thank you.

Eliz.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

Sometimes if you see something as in the Smileys and you make changes updates and such and then go there gone a simple power cycle of the phone can possible restore them..  ya might give that a try. b

0 Likes
soldierone
Enthusiast - Level 2

You are not alone. HTC has their own little software to make these smileys, and its gone. My girlfriend has an HTC phone without Kit Kat, the smileys still show up on her phone, but they no longer work on mine. What a pain, how do we downgrade?

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

JonnieChimpo1 wrote:

2014-02-09 02.51.39.jpg

You are using the last tab of smiley choices. Select the smiley character (second from the left) to get the yellow colored emoticons. It is the same thing on the HTC keyboard.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

soldierone wrote:

You are not alone. HTC has their own little software to make these smileys, and its gone. My girlfriend has an HTC phone without Kit Kat, the smileys still show up on her phone, but they no longer work on mine. What a pain, how do we downgrade?

I have a friend with the HTC One running KitKat and the smileys work on their phone.

0 Likes
soldierone
Enthusiast - Level 2

Dunno why mine is doing this then. Wish I can just downgrade, this update obviously didn't work right on my phone 😕

0 Likes