Re: Want Nexus right now? Get a Rezound!
kidwolf908

jtown wrote:

kidwolf908 wrote:

This is a very good post and makes a lot of sense with the exception of one thing:

HTC has officially stated that the Rezound will be upgraded to ICS in Q1-2012.  Honestly I would rather have Gingerbread for a while longer while the Nexus early adopters work out the ICS kinks.

Verizon's update won't be Q1.  :smileyhappy:  I'd expect Q2 at the earliest.  That's assuming HTC doesn't push the date back.  Tho there is something to be said for not being the first one to try something.  If the Rezound had a slider keyboard, they would probably win me over but, without it, I may as well get the thinner, lighter phone with a bigger screen and dive in head first.  If the Nexus doesn't come out by the end of the year, I'll probably get a RAZR and hope it gets ICS by Q2.  Again, thin and light being the key selling points for me.  And the RAZR has better docking options than the Rezound so, while it has fewer pixels in-hand, it can be connected to a large external display.

Darnit.  Now I'm thinking I should go back to the RAZR which I was going to buy before I started reading up on the Nexus.  :smileyhappy:

I'm not sure what you mean here by "docking options."

The Rezound has an MHL port that can be converted to full size HDMI with a $10 converter cable.

Honestly the RAZR isn't even in this race.  That ship sailed with the qHD screen and non-removable battery.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

kidwolf908 wrote:

This is a very good post and makes a lot of sense with the exception of one thing:

HTC has officially stated that the Rezound will be upgraded to ICS in Q1-2012.  Honestly I would rather have Gingerbread for a while longer while the Nexus early adopters work out the ICS kinks.

lol.  Is this your first android phone?  One thing that will save you a lot of frustration is to not listen to the eta's given by the manufacturer and to not expect an update.  Buy a phone for its capabilities now, not what is expected in the future.  iirc HTC claimed the Thunderbolt would get the GB update in quarter 2 of this year.  It was almost November before the update actually came.

yes there are likely to be aosp roms but those roms almost always depend on leaked builds and source code release to actually function properly instead of just being another buggy mess.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i know the updates for the nexus "should" come straight from google......but if it's a samsung devices, with verizon bloat, then can't we assume that the updates will have to go throught them......and their awesome track record (samsung) of updates?

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

No one seems to know exactly how the OTA's will be handled right now.  It does look like the Verizon Nexus will indeed be supported in AOSP though. http://groups.google.com/group/android-building/browse_thread/thread/90c844f8eae5e4a9/f777946fdc2a5d...

0 Likes