Want Nexus right now? Get a Rezound!
kidwolf908

Just wanted to pop in here and say for all of you harping on the nexus debacle, why don't you just get a Rezound instead!?

Let's look at the facts:

Rezound has better:

Camera (both front and back)

Processor

Screen (Arguable, but I would rather have a real 720P Super LCD and not a PenTile checkerboard)

Higher PPI (pixels per inch)

Storage (removable SD card and 16GB built in)

Build quality

Nexus has better:

Android Version

Screen (if you MUST have a pentile AMOLED)

...?

The major thing that the G-Nex had over other phones is that it is a "pure" Google Experience, but since VZW is loading bloatware, even that isn't a selling point anymore since you have to root to get rid of it anyway.

Now that the Rezound is much closer to being unlocked, why not switch?!?  It's not like Samsung's build quality is anything to write home about and the battery life won't be any better on 4G.  Plus, there will be ICS roms for the Rezound in no time!

I'm just saying... Nexus is overhyped and not worth the wait IMO.

0 Likes
Re: Want Nexus right now? Get a Rezound!
gnexus

How much is Verizon paying you?

0 Likes
sb4663
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Rezound is a heavy brick...

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

There's so much wrong with the OP that it gave me a headache.

Camera- meh

Processor- dual core OMAP 4460 > snapdragon S3

Screen- wash.  The fact that it's pentile is neglible at that resolution

Bloat ridden Sense- it's nice eye candy but that's about it

Not to mention the rezound still doesn't have S-OFF and development is pretty much guaranteed to lag behind the Nexus

Granted the major selling point of the Nexus (Stock ICS + google updates) is a bit up in the air at the moment with the belief that Samsung will be providing the updates for our model.

0 Likes
kidwolf908

Waaaah.  Sorry it isn't a plastic disaster like the Nexus...

Personally, I enjoy a phone that feels substantial enough that I won't crush it with my hands.

Obviously this is all opinions here, but I see so many people whining about the Nexus being delayed and it just blows my mind that people don't see that there is already a high-end superphone on VZW 4G in the Rezound.

Also, OMAP4 is not > Snapdragon S3.  OMAP4 is more power hungry and the S3 has a better GPU than the Nexus.  Adreno 220 > SGX540.

Also, I agree that Sense isn't for everyone, however, I don't mind it one bit as I wait for S-OFF.  However, the handy developers over at XDA have created a fool-proof tool to debloat and de-sense the Rezound.  Allowing you to run whatever launcher you would like without Sense even loading.  And it disables/freezes all the verizon apps that you wish to get rid of.

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

The Rezound's a thick piggy of a phone.  Notice how the static promo shots don't show it from the side?  Thick enough to have a slider keyboard yet it doesn't.  What's up with that?  And I want ICS because that's the future of Android.  But I don't want some third party ROM that's going to give Verizon a way to ignore any problems I may have with my service (and they obviously have a lot of 4G issues).  I'm in the market for a phone that I'll be using for the next two years.  I'd rather have it be on the leading edge of next year's OS than the trailing end of last year's OS and I want to be able to vent at Verizon with full, righteous fury if I have any problems.  :smileyhappy:

As far as build quality goes, I'll take my chances.  I've had cell phones since the mid 90s and only one of them died before I was done using it.  Not dropping them on concrete or in the toilet seems to be the key.  Unless it's made of paper mache, it should last for 2-3 years without any special effort.

So I'll wait a little longer for the phone I want.  It can't be that much longer.  The phones have already been manufactured and shipped to the stores.  Every day they sit in the stores is a lot of money lost.

0 Likes
kidwolf908

This is a very good post and makes a lot of sense with the exception of one thing:

HTC has officially stated that the Rezound will be upgraded to ICS in Q1-2012.  Honestly I would rather have Gingerbread for a while longer while the Nexus early adopters work out the ICS kinks.

jtown wrote:

The Rezound's a thick piggy of a phone.  Notice how the static promo shots don't show it from the side?  Thick enough to have a slider keyboard yet it doesn't.  What's up with that?  And I want ICS because that's the future of Android.  But I don't want some third party ROM that's going to give Verizon a way to ignore any problems I may have with my service (and they obviously have a lot of 4G issues).  I'm in the market for a phone that I'll be using for the next two years.  I'd rather have it be on the leading edge of next year's OS than the trailing end of last year's OS and I want to be able to vent at Verizon with full, righteous fury if I have any problems.  :smileyhappy:

As far as build quality goes, I'll take my chances.  I've had cell phones since the mid 90s and only one of them died before I was done using it.  Not dropping them on concrete or in the toilet seems to be the key.  Unless it's made of paper mache, it should last for 2-3 years without any special effort.

So I'll wait a little longer for the phone I want.  It can't be that much longer.  The phones have already been manufactured and shipped to the stores.  Every day they sit in the stores is a lot of money lost.

0 Likes
techjunkie64

kidwolf908 wrote:

This is a very good post and makes a lot of sense with the exception of one thing:

HTC has officially stated that the Rezound will be upgraded to ICS in Q1-2012.  Honestly I would rather have Gingerbread for a while longer while the Nexus early adopters work out the ICS kinks.

This is a very good point, but has VERIZON (who ultimately controls when/if an update gets relesed) guaranteed you, in a contractual manner, that you will receive ICS before April 1?

0 Likes
kidwolf908

Fair question and the answer is no.  However, you can bet Rezound owners will be clamoring for it and system upgrades are usually one of the only things Verizon will give in to.

It doesn't really matter to me since I would greatly prefer any custom ROM or AOSP ROM over a Verizon-branded and bloated ICS.  But for the average user that enjoys OTA updates, you have a valid point.

techjunkie64 wrote:

This is a very good point, but has VERIZON (who ultimately controls when/if an update gets relesed) guaranteed you, in a contractual manner, that you will receive ICS before April 1?

0 Likes
jtown
Contributor - Level 3

kidwolf908 wrote:

Verizon's update won't be Q1.  :smileyhappy:  I'd expect Q2 at the earliest.  That's assuming HTC doesn't push the date back.  Tho there is something to be said for not being the first one to try something.  If the Rezound had a slider keyboard, they would probably win me over but, without it, I may as well get the thinner, lighter phone with a bigger screen and dive in head first.  If the Nexus doesn't come out by the end of the year, I'll probably get a RAZR and hope it gets ICS by Q2.  Again, thin and light being the key selling points for me.  And the RAZR has better docking options than the Rezound so, while it has fewer pixels in-hand, it can be connected to a large external display.

Darnit.  Now I'm thinking I should go back to the RAZR which I was going to buy before I started reading up on the Nexus.  :smileyhappy:

0 Likes