Voicemail on Thunderbolt
cmelby76
Enthusiast - Level 2
Ok guys, I updated to gingerbread and my vm icon won't turn off after a voicemail.. I know there is a patch, but I'm not going through all of that to fix this problem.. I feel that we waited long enough for this update that Verizon should do something about this.. I read they knew about this problem but did nothing to fix it.. Now I have to reboot my phone to clear it, that is just insane...
0 Likes
Re: Voicemail on Thunderbolt
goochman55

i contacted customer support and they say.....  "this isn't a known issue"  what the hell!!!

[edited to comply with TOS]

0 Likes
cmelby76
Enthusiast - Level 2
That's **bleep**, I read on another post that Verizon knew about this before the update was released!!!
0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Once again Verizon does it's imitation of an ostrich. (Practice makes perfect:smileywink:.....If they keep saying they never heard  maybe we'll believe them,  NOT!)

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I understand your frustration but from what I have heard this is the only issue that you have been having and I would say that the update isn't as bad as you're making it out to be...    No update is perfect but it appears that this is the closes that they get because issues is to a minimal, you have one issue and you act as if the update fried your phone.

The voicemail notification is a main function of the device but it is something that can be worked around until a fix is released... The update has a bug and you should give them a little time to push a fix for the problem because I really do not see you having any other choice...  Install Google Talk of YouMail should work for you until the issue is resolved, I prefer Better YouMail myself.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

cmelby76 wrote:
Ok guys, I updated to gingerbread and my vm icon won't turn off after a voicemail.. I know there is a patch, but I'm not going through all of that to fix this problem.. I feel that we waited long enough for this update that Verizon should do something about this.. I read they knew about this problem but did nothing to fix it.. Now I have to reboot my phone to clear it, that is just insane...

if you want to just live with it, then that's your choice. but installing a patch takes all of 2 minutes. "going through all of that" entails googling, finding patch, downloading patch, and installing patch. whether you do it from a pc or the tbolt, it takes a couple of minutes. 

0 Likes
Sborden
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry Wildman i have to disagree, while yes this so far is the only problem i have found with the update, this IS a HUGE {word filter avoidance}.  If you use your phone for business or family and expect to have your phone notify you when you have a voicemail, then the problem isnt a little one.   

For a business person it could end up costing them money.

For family it could be a serious family emergency and you dont get the message.  

This is not something that should have been taken lightly or ignored.

Just my opinion.

0 Likes
cmelby76
Enthusiast - Level 2
Hey Azsaluki, the only patch I can find, you have to copy and paste codes into your phone... So, if you have a different link or site that we all can just go to, download and it will install automatically for us, great. If not, then I think we all shouldn't have to do this. It's up to Verizon to make sure all the features are working correctly before releasing the update...
0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

cmelby76 wrote:
Hey Azsaluki, the only patch I can find, you have to copy and paste codes into your phone... So, if you have a different link or site that we all can just go to, download and it will install automatically for us, great. If not, then I think we all shouldn't have to do this. It's up to Verizon to make sure all the features are working correctly before releasing the update...

sorry....the poster on this forum that cited a patch must have altered his device. i assumed it was a simple apk that would be a download and install for anyone. after actually looking into it, i now realize that it won't work for most users. but the developer that fixed it also posted the code everywhere...so if verizon has ANY inclanation at all, they can fix it and push a simple update. i'm guessing that will take them a couple of months though.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

AZSALUKI wrote:

cmelby76 wrote:

sorry....the poster on this forum that cited a patch must have altered his device. i assumed it was a simple apk that would be a download and install for anyone. after actually looking into it, i now realize that it won't work for most users. but the developer that fixed it also posted the code everywhere...so if verizon has ANY inclanation at all, they can fix it and push a simple update. i'm guessing that will take them a couple of months though.

This is why I did not suggest the fix because the device has to be modified just to be installed.  Another thing to consider that the patch is designed for a modified build of the OTA version so it isnt guarenteed that it will function the same on the stock unmodified build...

Sborden wrote:

Sorry Wildman i have to disagree, while yes this so far is the only problem i have found with the update, this IS a HUGE {word filter avoidance}  If you use your phone for business or family and expect to have your phone notify you when you have a voicemail, then the problem isnt a little one.   

For a business person it could end up costing them money.

For family it could be a serious family emergency and you dont get the message.  

This is not something that should have been taken lightly or ignored.

Just my opinion.

I understand that this is a major function of the device but I veiw things from a developer point of view and I understand that it is simple to modify a line of code to resolve another bug and cause another (Even in features that worked previously)....  Each line of code branches out commands to other options of the software and I would not put it pass a programmer modified a option line that caused the voicemail notification to become unstable.

I use my device for business but I choose to use Better YouMail anyway so this issue does not effect me but my only point was that if writing sofeware was simple everyone would do it, its nice to give credit to them for refining and creating a stable build for updateing minus this one issue...  There is no reason to start blasting with all guns when the developers havent had the chance to fix the problem.  This does not make things happen any diffrently..

0 Likes