Re: Thunderbolt only has 2.6GB of internal memory available
B33
Legend

Sounds Like to me the is T-Bolt is one more step closer of going in the T-Pot an thats sad :smileysad:

0 Likes
troadey
I work for Verizon and its not " word of mouth " or what's been advertised is why we say it has 8 gb. That's what we were told by Verizon. When they send us information saying it has 8gb's of eMMc then that's of course how we are going to push it. It's deceiving to the customer and make the employee took bad. And I'm sure that's what HTC told them that's what it had so they relayed it to us that way. Just like AT&T advertising the iPhone 4 . Customers assumed it was a 4G iPhone.
0 Likes
wgragg1

Ok, I am NOT advocating this, but I remember a few years back that there was a lawsuit over hard drive capacity and another over monitor size where the respective manufacturers were taken to task for the way they advertised the specs on those devices.  It turned out that the class action suit forced the manufacturers to be more explicit in their specs so that somewhere on the packaging they had to state the actual viewable size of a monitor screen and give the actual number of bytes available on a hard drive. 

In my mind, it was some way for some lawyers to get rich and they found some gullible consumers to agree to be represented.  Lawyers got millions, members of the class got just a few dollars each (if that much).  The actual plaintiffs may have gotten a few thousand.

I wonder if HTC and or Verizon may be the subject of a similar frivolus suit?

0 Likes
androidburn

(1) Many of us upgraded our HTC Incredible. That came with the same reported 40GB potential storage and 8GB internal memory. We were able to use most of it. Nobody questioned why a bit less than the norm wasn't available. The HTC Thunderbolt has LESS THAN HALF of the available storage. Verizon Wireless is now blaming HTC for this "misinformation." No offense but that is about the biggest crock of nonsense I've heard in a long time. Did all the "extensive" testing that Verizon Wireless swears is the reason for delays of phones appearing on the network just not happen at all? Did thousands of people just miss the fact that most of the internal memory was missing? Nobody read hundreds of reviews touting this phone as having a huge 40GB of storage and 8GB of precious internal memory (most useful for HD recording)? Please.... don't insult our intelligence. Someone is trying to set a new standard and say "eMMC memory is different than other memory." And how many of us are to know that? It seemed to have fooled hundreds of industry pundits too prior to release.

(2) Verizon Wireless gets paid by app developers to dump apps that we may not want into the phone's memory which we cannot delete. Let's take Golf for example -- which takes up over 100MB of that internal memory. Don't you think that we should know about this beforehand? There is no way any consumer can know how much user accessible storage is available because Verizon Wireless will determine this on a phone to phone basis. So what's next? 32GB eMMC with 5GB of user accessible storage and 20GB of preview demo apps?

(3) Nobody has clarified this issue. I've had my phone for 2 weeks and Verizon Wireless' only official word to me (via a store employee who didn't believe me and called in and spoke to them for 30 minutes) was that it was being fixed in a software update. I keep hearing different things -- it is a formatting problem, it isn't a formatting issue since the new system is taking up most of the space, etc. Nobody knows and the folks at Verizon Wireless obviously know about it -- I looked in the store and it is the ONLY phone without any internal memory amount listed.

(4) Time is money. I had no idea about this issue and invested time with this phone. Tidbits obviously has endless time, perhaps he lives with his parents and doesn't have a job. But this is a problem that could have and should have been avoided. Returning the phone is not the only issue. Deceptive business practices are similar to the way many "rebates" work -- they know that once the money is gone, most consumers won't want to go through the hassle of getting their money back. And will just getting money back compensate you for all that lost time, accessories you've bought, etc.? NO. 

Let's just say that the longer this goes on without any official explanation, the larger the problem becomes. They could become the poster boy for deceptive practices in the industry. I wonder whether some group of people are responsible and thought they could report record earnings, higher profits.... and big bonuses being paid. Bad idea. In tech, most people aren't stupid. Be assured that Sprint won't make the same mistake with the new 3D.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

RobB772 wrote:

Obviously you can't read

Original post is asking why 8GB internal memory has only ~2.6GB availaqble to the use. Title of the OP is:

Thunderbolt only has 2.6GB of internal memory available

It goes on to ask reasons why. Others post the inconsistancies in information supposedly coming from "Corporate sources" ( a group which verizon sales representatives fall into, as well as representatives answering emails on the corporations behalf, tech specs posted by manufacture and Verizon)

Perhaps you are expending too much effort defending the indefensible. Hence the tendency to try to bully or denigrate anyone who doesn't fit your narrow fanboy mold.

pssst....resorting to those tactics makes you look unintelligent:smileywink:

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but the Thunderbolt was advertised and sold to have 8GB eMMC internal memory + 768MB of RAM + 32GB memory card. While the amount of RAM and the SD card are correct, there has been some debate (elsewhere) that the phone only has 4GB eMMC internal memory, or that if does have 8GB, that a lot of this is unaccounted for.

That's from the first post.  There is no question within the first post.  Obviously you can't read yourself big boy.  The discussion is about the internal memory of the Thunderbolt whether it is 4 or 8.  Then the 3rd post by Sammyboy is a print out of space which is greater than 4GB.

Then the OP posted just after showing claims that the TB has a 4GB eMMC.

So what now?

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

androidburn wrote:

(1) Many of us upgraded our HTC Incredible. That came with the same reported 40GB potential storage and 8GB internal memory. We were able to use most of it. Nobody questioned why a bit less than the norm wasn't available. The HTC Thunderbolt has LESS THAN HALF of the available storage. Verizon Wireless is now blaming HTC for this "misinformation." No offense but that is about the biggest crock of nonsense I've heard in a long time. Did all the "extensive" testing that Verizon Wireless swears is the reason for delays of phones appearing on the network just not happen at all? Did thousands of people just miss the fact that most of the internal memory was missing? Nobody read hundreds of reviews touting this phone as having a huge 40GB of storage and 8GB of precious internal memory (most useful for HD recording)? Please.... don't insult our intelligence. Someone is trying to set a new standard and say "eMMC memory is different than other memory." And how many of us are to know that? It seemed to have fooled hundreds of industry pundits too prior to release.

(2) Verizon Wireless gets paid by app developers to dump apps that we may not want into the phone's memory which we cannot delete. Let's take Golf for example -- which takes up over 100MB of that internal memory. Don't you think that we should know about this beforehand? There is no way any consumer can know how much user accessible storage is available because Verizon Wireless will determine this on a phone to phone basis. So what's next? 32GB eMMC with 5GB of user accessible storage and 20GB of preview demo apps?

(3) Nobody has clarified this issue. I've had my phone for 2 weeks and Verizon Wireless' only official word to me (via a store employee who didn't believe me and called in and spoke to them for 30 minutes) was that it was being fixed in a software update. I keep hearing different things -- it is a formatting problem, it isn't a formatting issue since the new system is taking up most of the space, etc. Nobody knows and the folks at Verizon Wireless obviously know about it -- I looked in the store and it is the ONLY phone without any internal memory amount listed.

(4) Time is money. I had no idea about this issue and invested time with this phone. Tidbits obviously has endless time, perhaps he lives with his parents and doesn't have a job. But this is a problem that could have and should have been avoided. Returning the phone is not the only issue. Deceptive business practices are similar to the way many "rebates" work -- they know that once the money is gone, most consumers won't want to go through the hassle of getting their money back. And will just getting money back compensate you for all that lost time, accessories you've bought, etc.? NO. 

Let's just say that the longer this goes on without any official explanation, the larger the problem becomes. They could become the poster boy for deceptive practices in the industry. I wonder whether some group of people are responsible and thought they could report record earnings, higher profits.... and big bonuses being paid. Bad idea. In tech, most people aren't stupid. Be assured that Sprint won't make the same mistake with the new 3D.

So waste more money while stomping your feet?  Sorry if my time was that important to me and would cost me so much money the phone would be out of my hands faster than kids finding candy in a candy store.  I have better things to do than to complain about a phone I could return.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

But then they'd have to find something else to complain about.  We'd probably see a million threads all "zomg verizon charged me $35 to return piece of junk. wah wah wah."

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

It seems the only ones who are OK with being treated as gullible, ignorant consumers are some longtime contributers. Then if you don't agree with said contributers evaluation they resort to calling you crybabies, whinners,foot stompers or other belittling terms. Grow up and realize not everyone believes the emperor has clothes when their eyes and common sense tell them otherwise.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

really? lol....this thread is still going? yes....it has 8 gigs. no....you can't use nearly all of those 8 gigs. yes....you had 3 days to return it at no charge. yes....you have 14 days to return it for a $35 stocking fee. yes.....it's a bit deceiving. AND yes.....you can return it if you feel ripped off. is there REALLY anything else to discuss about this? class action suits, name calling, comparing this to what AT&T did when apple called the device the iphone 4g, etc, etc......really??? it is a phone and if it's not an acceptable phone, return it.  

as a long time contributor i don't feel gullible or ignorant. i may feel that way if it was out of my return window of time before i realized that something about the device i purchased was unacceptable to me. there are plenty of customers who are a bit ignorant as to what they are purchasing. they are the ones who just walk in and buy the latest and greatest before looking into the device at all. it's 2011 and you likely could have had any questions answered about the tbolt by spending an hour online before it was even released. there's also the store model that you can check out before you purchase it. some of you make it sound as though they have one version of the phone they are advertising, but another version they actually give you. the one you got is the same one you could've played with in the store to check to see if it had everything you wanted.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

People just feel the need to complain.  Heck, there were threats of lawsuits because Verizon hadn't released the phone.  Tis a sad society we live in.

0 Likes