Re: Thunderbolt only has 2.6GB of internal memory available
Tidbits
Legend

androidburn wrote:

Tidbits conveniently ignores the part of my statement where Verizon Wireless employees are saying that user accessible storage will be *fixed* -- acknowledging there is a problem and even they believed that "user accessible storage" was 8GB less standard formatting. As you put it, if he bought the phone he'd be screaming like a little girl who skinned her knee. But since he's not apparently affected, he'll argue that a four cylinder Chevy engine put into the body of a Rolls Royce and sold as "a Rolls" is still "technically" a Rolls Royce. Won't get through life very far with that mentality, at least not without a courtroom getting in your way!

Says who? a lowly tech?  If thatt was true then why doesn't HTC or Verizon as a company make a statement?  Right... The "news" sites would be all over it, but I randomly see someone say "A tech told me it will be fixed."  I'd hold onto that statement like i'd hold onto a viper.  If I were you I'd wait for an official statement. 

As far as a chevy engine in a royals royce...  yes it would still be a royal royce...  simple being if it was advertised as having a chevy engine it would still be.  If not there is a bait and switch, but as I already pointed out based on the initial post you bought a device with a 8GB eMMC and that's what you go regardless of what's user accessible.  That's the industry standard and no IT guy can deny it.

As a side note most of this stuff is off topic.  The topic is to whether or not the TB has a 4GB or 8GB eMMC.  As I have already pointed out and proved based on the evidence presented that if it had a 4G eMMC then we'd have 3.6GB if we take out the usual amount for Android we'd have 2.XGB of user space without factoring bloatware, and the radio being larger in size which should give us close to 2GB of empty space. The earlier chart shows there is at LEAST 4.6GB of partition space known(There could be hidden partitions) which already points out we have something LARGER than a 4GB eMMC(as how can we have 4.6GB of space when a 4GB max capacity is 3.6)..  They don't make a 5, 6, or 7GB eMMC so it has to be a 8.

So far complaining hasn't been working...  Just look around... There is 100x more complaints about Android so I don't see how complaining some more is going to help.  I am willing to bet if 100K people bought the TB and then 90K people returned their TB because of these issues that it would be fixed quicker than complaining about it for a few months.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Tidbits ...Why are you so adamant in defending something you have no stake in?

There is no "official" site, that I know of, provided by Corporate Verizon or HTC to log complaints. Sure grousing here probably isn't going to get Verizon to do anything, BUT it is a place consumers come to to research future purchases.  Accurate information is important and Verizon / HTC don’t seem to want to clarify the Thunderbolt specs .

Not including the disclaimer that only ~2.6GB of that internal memory is user accessible is borderline if not outright deceptive. Dance around and use all the euphemisms you want, you don't advertise 8GB eMMC internal memory, load it up with uninstallable applications then expect no complaints....just not gonna happen.  Also Verizon and HTC employees who are responding to consumer questions are acting as agents of the corporation and need to be held to that standard. If they're telling a customer that it has "X"GB of available internal memory or it's being addressed in future fix., unless those are true corporate should not sit back and allow that just makes them more culpable.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

oh boy.  here we go again.  Sounds like the whine and cheese "they promised me Froyo" Fascinate crowd. 

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

maybe they need to stop overpromissing and under delivering. Elsewise people have the right to hold their feet to the fire

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

RobB772 wrote:

maybe they need to stop overpromissing and under delivering. Elsewise people have the right to hold their feet to the fire

maybe people need to understand what a promise is, and what is involved to make a promise.  I have never seen in a Verizon commercial let alone a REP aloud to make a promise for a company without proper authorization.  No lowly rep will be aloud to make any promise without documentation to do so.  Also I have never heard Verizon stating they promised the TB will have 8GB of user storage have you?

Just because someone says something doesn't make it a promise.

I could simply state...  RobB772 promises to give $1,000,000 to the first 10 people to send him a private message.  Do you have to honor that promise?  No, as I was not allowed to make promises on your behalf.  Regardless if someone works for a company they'd still need authorization to make any promises, and I know for a fact service companies even state you cannot make any promises before even considering employing anyone.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i have a "30 gig" zune that i can actually use about 27 gigs of. i have a pc with "160 gigs" that i can actually use about 152 gigs of. and i have an htc incredible with "8 gigs" of internal storage that i can actually use about 6.6 gigs of. that's just how it is. i do find that 2+ gigs out of a supposed 8 gig device is a bit misleading. however, if it bothered me that much, i'd simply return it and move on. maybe they knew this and it's one of the reasons they threw in the 32 gig sd? who knows...but if it's that big of a deal you can return it. 

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Perhaps some people here have spent too much time justifying shady practices. Most of America's population are tired of corporations hiding behind weenie words. As had been stated here in numerous posts they could have mitigated all of this with a disclaimer about actual user available internal memory. Also if my employees wer "promising" (sometimes in hard copy...email) things that the corporation knew were untrue it it their responsibility to stop and correct that process. To date I've seen or received no retractions or clarifications on a corporate forum (you yourself say not to believe what employees tell us in person). Remember If ya always do what you've always done you will always get what you've always got. In other words if you don't compain about being deceived or hoodwinked you encourage more of the same.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

Someone keeps going off topic...  The topic if you read the first post was about whether or not the thunderbolt had an 8GB eMMC or not.  Not if you believe you should have more user accessible memory...  So if you want to discuss that by all means make your own thread :smileyhappy:

This thread should be considered closed due to the fact that a 4GB eMMC couldn't store no more than 3.6GB of physical data, and everything points to there being over 4.3GB of data...  which already rules out a 4GB eMMC.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

RobB772 wrote:

Perhaps some people here have spent too much time justifying shady practices. Most of America's population are tired of corporations hiding behind weenie words. As had been stated here in numerous posts they could have mitigated all of this with a disclaimer about actual user available internal memory. Also if my employees wer "promising" (sometimes in hard copy...email) things that the corporation knew were untrue it it their responsibility to stop and correct that process. To date I've seen or received no retractions or clarifications on a corporate forum (you yourself say not to believe what employees tell us in person). Remember If ya always do what you've always done you will always get what you've always got. In other words if you don't compain about being deceived or hoodwinked you encourage more of the same.

Actually yes they should, but I guess you never owned a business larger than your backyard.  They can't keep tabs on everyone in their company and with the way people cry "invasion of privacy" and a slew of other things it makes it tougher for large companies to keep tabs.

Just because of rep does something he isn't supposed to doesn't make the whole company shady.  Anyone can call any business shady as at some point of their existance they'll end up getting someone who doesn't care for the company or their job.  It happens.

Sure they could have mitigated some of it, but as a lot of other people stated... A lot of this could have been mitigated by you returning your device and getting your upgrade back and waiting it out or looking for another device...  You are well within your return period.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Obviously you can't read

Original post is asking why 8GB internal memory has only ~2.6GB availaqble to the use. Title of the OP is:

Thunderbolt only has 2.6GB of internal memory available

It goes on to ask reasons why. Others post the inconsistancies in information supposedly coming from "Corporate sources" ( a group which verizon sales representatives fall into, as well as representatives answering emails on the corporations behalf, tech specs posted by manufacture and Verizon)

Perhaps you are expending too much effort defending the indefensible. Hence the tendency to try to bully or denigrate anyone who doesn't fit your narrow fanboy mold.

pssst....resorting to those tactics makes you look unintelligent:smileywink:

0 Likes