Re: Thunderbolt only has 2.6GB of internal memory available
troadey
Yes we did by a phone with 8gb however, they advertised it as usable memory. They are trying to get iPhone users over to HTC . So that is a bait and switch when u advertise it as available memory .
0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend
Sorry man it wasn't even advertised as it being completely accessible. All the advertising wad about it having a 8GB eMMC and nothing more. I believe you assumed it would be without looking.
0 Likes
androidburn

Tidbits, I just looked at all the marketing that came out and even the manual. There is absolutely NOTHING listed about the internal memory storage whatsoever. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before - there are no specifications in the manual either. Fascinating. The complete lack of any spec for RAM makes me wonder whether some crafty person said "let the street provide the wrong information and we just won't say anything and won't be responsible for the overhyping." Oddly enough, their entire sales and support staff is absolutely convinced it has 8GB of internal memory and raves about the 40GB of storage. 

In the store, every sales employee says exactly what has been on the street for months -- the device has a huge 40GB of storage, no different than the Incredible if you had one, 8GB of internal memory less the amount lost to standard formatting. I've had calls with Verizon Wireless and went into the store -- they insisted this will be fixed with a software update and I should hold onto the phone. At the end of the day, the representations made by employees of the company are the only thing that matters. 

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

androidburn wrote:

Tidbits, I just looked at all the marketing that came out and even the manual. There is absolutely NOTHING listed about the internal memory storage whatsoever. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before - there are no specifications in the manual either. Fascinating. The complete lack of any spec for RAM makes me wonder whether some crafty person said "let the street provide the wrong information and we just won't say anything and won't be responsible for the overhyping." Oddly enough, their entire sales and support staff is absolutely convinced it has 8GB of internal memory and raves about the 40GB of storage. 

In the store, every sales employee says exactly what has been on the street for months -- the device has a huge 40GB of storage, no different than the Incredible if you had one, 8GB of internal memory less the amount lost to standard formatting. I've had calls with Verizon Wireless and went into the store -- they insisted this will be fixed with a software update and I should hold onto the phone. At the end of the day, the representations made by employees of the company are the only thing that matters. 

You further prove my point.  You do have 40GB of total space.  They may have raved about the internal storage, but they not once mentioned you could use all of it, and it's SAFE to assume you won't use all of it as things are always loaded.  Sorry, but it seems more like someone looking to complain about something.  IF it bothered you that much return the device.  Nothing is stopping you from doing so, but yourself.

We can go on and on about this, but it has always been this way since the very first computer designed.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

Tidbits.....Perhaps you would be more upset about this usage of internal memory if you had the Thunderbolt! I notice your devices are listed as 2 iPhone4's and a D2G.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

RobB772 wrote:

Tidbits.....Perhaps you would be more upset about this usage of internal memory if you had the Thunderbolt! I notice your devices are listed as 2 iPhone4's and a D2G.

No I wouldn't be hell bent.  If it bothered me this much I would have returned it.  Take my money back and my upgrade back and wait for something else.  I have been in the IT field for nearly 20 years, and I see no difference as what the industry is doing.  People have not shown something that dictates otherwise.  Why are people not in an uproar at the fact other device manufacturers do the same thing.  Everyone one has less user space than what they actually advertise these devices have.  The Droid 2 Global has 16GB on board, but not all of it is user accessible...  I am not bothered buy it, and when I was using it MOST of my data was on the SD card.  I believe with most apps being less than 7MB and few games sitting larger there's plenty of room even sitting at 2.6GB.  Most of the games tend to give you 1/2 or less of total and put the rest on your SD card.  Let's Golf, Rock Band, and such for example.

Also my cousin does have a TB, and if you want I can take a short video of him stating 2.6GB doesn't bother him.  I thought about buying one outright and my decision about not buying one wasn't based on "user space", but more in line the polished aspect of the OS.  I knew it had 2.6GB of internal memory, but also has 32GB of external in which most of your user data will, and should end up.

Edit:

I would like to point out based on the original post.  What you guys are complaining about HAS nothing to do with if you believe you should get more or not.

He claims the TB has a 4GB eMMC and his own math contridicts him.  4.6 and 4.3 are greater than a 4GB eMMC.  It should be somewhere around 3.6.  One shows 1GB more than what his max capacity should be, and the other 700MB over what the max capacity should be.  So it CAN'T be a 4GB eMMC.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

If your only answer is to return things maybe you've never heard of the adage that "the squeeky wheel gets the grease"

I could root this device in under an hour but that would void my warranty and jepordize OTA fixes. I too understand the technology, I started my career in electronics when computers and communication equipment were wire wrapped circuit boards and have spent recent years in the high speed digital electronics field (41 years total)

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

RobB772 wrote:

If your only answer is to return things maybe you've never heard of the adage that "the squeeky wheel gets the grease"

I could root this device in under an hour but that would void my warranty and jepordize OTA fixes. I too understand the technology, I started my career in electronics when computers and communication equipment were wire wrapped circuit boards and have spent recent years in the high speed digital electronics field (41 years total)

How often does the squeeky wheel gets the grease?  Money talks more than a squeeky wheel.  So far I see a lot of complaining throughout the Android world and I see people waiting months to years for something to change.  I guess it isn't working don't you think?  It's been 3 years and it's time for a different aproach.

Since you been in this field for 41 years total then you should know what I am talking about.  Regardless what manufacturer out there the max capacity is ALWAYS shown and advertised.  Does that mean all of it is always user accessible? 

Actually rooting doesn't jepordize OTA fixes.  You will get them regardless.  You will get the source code(most android manufacturers provide them), and chances are you will be updated faster than OTA and be higher up in the food chain.  Right now you can up 2.2.3, or 2.3 on your device if you are rooted, but what is the TB on? 2.2.1...  How long do you think it'll take before we get 2.2.2, 2.2.3, or 2.3.

I am already playing with the TB kernel source code and porting over 2.3 for my cousin.  I would try and fix the 3G/4G bug, but where I live there is no 4G close enough, and my cousins TB isn't always here so I not even going to bother with it until the source is released for it, and I will add it to my 2.3 rom for my cousin.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

meh, it takes a lot less time than that.  And if I were concerned about OTA fixes, I wouldn't have gotten Android.  Before the Thunderbolt, I had the Fascinate and it took forever for them to "officially" fix the gps issues.  And they still don't "officially" have Froyo eventhough it's been available through other channels for almost a month.  That's neither here nor there though.  I have the Thunderbolt and can't say that I'm really concerned about where those other GB's went.  I have everything on internal storage and still have plenty of space.  It should be more than enough for most people and for the others there's always the 32GB sd card.

0 Likes
androidburn

Tidbits conveniently ignores the part of my statement where Verizon Wireless employees are saying that user accessible storage will be *fixed* -- acknowledging there is a problem and even they believed that "user accessible storage" was 8GB less standard formatting. As you put it, if he bought the phone he'd be screaming like a little girl who skinned her knee. But since he's not apparently affected, he'll argue that a four cylinder Chevy engine put into the body of a Rolls Royce and sold as "a Rolls" is still "technically" a Rolls Royce. Won't get through life very far with that mentality, at least not without a courtroom getting in your way!

0 Likes