Thunderbolt on 3g only
wlittle1969

I am interested to know what experience people have had using the tbolt on 3g only networks - i live in the midwest - Des Moines specifically - and it doesnt look like we will be getting 4g too soon. I want to upgrade to the tbolt, like the features and reviews, but unsure of the performance on strictly 3g. I understand there is an app that can be downloaded such as 4g switch to allow the user to specify what network (i believe to boost battery life).

I currently have an HTC Touch Pro2, and have been mostly happy with it, though the winmo part i am ready to 'upgrade' into android. way more apps and customization.

anyone run one on 3g only?

thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Thunderbolt on 3g only
bearx16
Contributor - Level 1

Being in a corn field in E. Central IL, I run 3g only.  I will first say I am an old geezer and speed is not something that is important to me.  With that said the TB is meeting my needs in getting what I need to do.  GPS is quick enough locking on to satellites, web pages load fast enough and I am not tech savvy so lag is not something I am aware of.  I guess I could have said things work and get the job done to my satisfaction, to keep this short and simple.

Hope this info. helps you.

Forgot to say the switch can be found in settings.  AZSALUKI put me onto LTE OnOff app.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
bearx16
Contributor - Level 1

Being in a corn field in E. Central IL, I run 3g only.  I will first say I am an old geezer and speed is not something that is important to me.  With that said the TB is meeting my needs in getting what I need to do.  GPS is quick enough locking on to satellites, web pages load fast enough and I am not tech savvy so lag is not something I am aware of.  I guess I could have said things work and get the job done to my satisfaction, to keep this short and simple.

Hope this info. helps you.

Forgot to say the switch can be found in settings.  AZSALUKI put me onto LTE OnOff app.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Omaha area here. Tbolt is nice and zippy here even if it is just a 3G network here for now.

Omaha is supposed to get 4G LTE by the end of the year.

+1 on the LTE OnOff application

The switch added after MR2 is under Settings > Wireless & networks > mobile networks > network type

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I have ran mine 3G only because KC doesnt have 4G yet but it is reported by the end of the year but I was able to go to Corporate store and use 4G for a little and boy I can say I cant wait for it to be released in the area...  In my opinion the data speeds are still noticable in 4D on the TB..

You shouldnt have any issues running in 3G only...

0 Likes
wlittle1969

Cool - thats great! Looking forward to both the TB and 4G! My TP2 has lived its life though, it was locking up alot so I did a factory reset to tide me over (helped some i will say - cleaned the cobwebs out of it).

I have never been unhappy with my TP2 web access speed, and will say it has been nice as a hotspot when internet is gone or too slow when I travel out of town for business. super for browsing and email, which is good enough for me. sounds like it will be even nicer when i can scream along at 4g!

thanks for the switch info in settings - much rather use whats provided than add an app!

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
Actually the application provides for a few more choices that have come in handy since myself and others have gotten the Tbolt.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes