Re: POTENTIAL SOLUTION? - NOPE!!
hopscotch117

Not such a good day, community:

Here is my problem.  I had no issues with my Thunderbolt until I got the latest software update from Verizon Wireless.  My phone used to pick up a 4G LTE signal correctly.  Now after the update with the supposed fixes, my phone will stay at 4G LTE only for a while and then will go 3G.  Once it is at 3G it stays there unless I reboot the phone.  Once in a while I can just go to the "Network settings" menu and it will automatically change back to 4G LTE even though I didn't make any changes.  I would just go to the menu.  Most of the times, however, I have to reboot.

Update info:

Source:  Verizon Wireless

Name: 2.11.605.5

Code: 200

Date: 10/29/11

Time: 08:51 AM

Description: This software update includes enhancements and improvements to your HTC Thunderbolt.

When I called customer service, they weren't of much help.  I was told that I may need a new device even though it is a software issue!  Seriously?  So I am going to have to get a new device and re-install everything, lose all my application data, buy a new Zagg screen protector, and waste many of my precious hours because their update is faulty?  This is the kind of reasoning that drives me crazy.

Anybody else have issues like this?

0 Likes
Re: POTENTIAL SOLUTION? - NOPE!!
sBenett

I upgraded about two weeks ago, and am still having issues with 4 / 3 / 1X switching.  It seems to me that the CSR's don't know anything about this.  I have been passed through at least 6 different people and they all tell me something different.  Several factory resets, sim card, and now 2.3.4 update and the issue persists.  **bleep** VZW people?!  The latest solution is to exchange my T-Bolt for a refurb...yeah I bet that solves the issue!  The only thing I have found to reconnect data is to switch off/on mobile network - but that's ridiculous.  Can I just get a reliable connection, is that too much to ask?

T-Bolt 2.3.4

Colorado Springs 80904

0 Likes
Re: Thunderbolt drops 4G off and on
dmc271
Enthusiast - Level 3

Search the Market for LTE OnOff.  Lock your phone into "LTE only" mode. This is what I have to do to keep it from reverting to 3G, and it works.  If you lose the 4G signal, it will revert to 1X, so if you're traveling in a 3G area, you need to undo the setting (easily done in LTE OnOff).

It's not an ideal solution (in terms of convenience), not even close. But, I'm convinced that the first-gen 4G chips are faulty. Often, when I lose 4G, the only way to get it back is to reboot, which means power-cycle the LTE chip.

I lost 4G this morning after placing the phone in my pocket. It was stuck in 1X for the longest time; even after driving to within a 1/4 mile of the 4G tower--yes, I could see the tower quite clearly--it was still stuck in 1X mode. The only thing that restored 4G was a power cycle of the phone.

This is not an issue that's isolated to the TB. Based on posts here, it seems to happen on every 4G LTE phone. Unless all of these different manufacturers are all writing the same buggy code, the only logical conclusion is that it's a hardware issue. If so, then there's only one piece of hardware shared by all of these different manufacturers: The LTE chipset.

0 Likes
ekloot

I thought I read that Motorola uses their own LTE chipset?  I could be wrong though.  I've read that motorola bionic users experience some of the same problems.  If the problems aren't because all the LTE chipsets are the same and have some sort of bug...then the other conclusion would be that the verizon 4g network just isn't completely stable yet. 

0 Likes
djysrv
Enthusiast - Level 2

The issue of the stabilty of the network has been raised in a number of post in this string and elsewhere in the forum.  Another frequently mentioned cause is that there are differences in how the phone connects to the network based on what' s happening with the towers.  Some have suggested that Verizon's network isn't Verizon equipment end-to-end which could account for variability in signal strength and phone response.

In my travels to various large cities identified by Verizon as offering 4G service, I find the Verizon network is strong is some and a disappointment elsewhere. 

For instance, on the runway of the Detroit airport, standing outside a commuter jet waiting for checked baggage, I got 1X service!  If Verizon can't provision a major U.S. airport, that's a real problem.

In Washington, DC, I got 3G service inside the Washington Reagan airport terminal, but 4G service outside on Connecticut Ave NW north of the downtown business district. I got 4G in Rockville, MD, but no service in Arlington, VA.  

In Cleveland, OH,. I get 4 G service in the Beachwood suburbs but 3G or even no service in Ohio City just across the river on Carnegie from the downtown.  I got 4G service at Progressive Field (Cleveland Indians baseball).

Signal strength may play a role.  I have yet to see 4G service with 1 bar and usually lose it while driving when there are just 2 of 4 bars.  4G seems to work best when there are 4 bars.  That's sort of a "duh" moment, but it also may be an indication how densely the towers are distributed in the network service or what is supported inside its so-called market areas.  

I wonder if Verizon is putting up enough 4G towers or just the bare bones in each market in order to get more markets proving at least some 4 G service? The cost and revenue implications should be obvious.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
The strength of the 4G LTE network connection can't be determined by the number of bars the phone is showing. Those bars are only reflecting the voice signal strength.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
B33
Legend

What ann says is true with the Bars but whats kind of bad with the 4G an it's a flip of the Coin you've Got 7 phones with 4G some of the Top one's.  but we've still got alott a phones that are 3G only An The iphone is one of them So is the BB's. So Verizon has to Thread the needle for both bands an make it work for both.  Now say if the iphone an our BB's were 4G that would make it a need to get the 4G moving in a faster yet pace as there would be more customers for the need of it. An hopefully there are more cities comming on line very soon.  But i can imagine how frustrating it is when you expect your 4G to work an it does'nt.

0 Likes
Chris3164

Good Evening.  I am now on my third HTC Thunderbolt and all three have had this same problem.  I have tried all the "fixes" that I have found on the internet and on this website.  None of them work.  I cannot get a refund or let out of my contract with Verizon.  There must be some way to either solve this problem or make Verizon set us free.  I am currently looking into filing a lawsuit against Verizon.  This are getting that desperate.  I am also tired of customer service people that promise to call or email back with a solution and I never hear from them again.  Is there anyone at Verizon that is going to fix this problem?  It is against the law to take money and fail to provide the services that were promised.  Do we really have to go so far as legal action?

0 Likes
Chris3164

Good News!  I spoke to Verizon again this evening about this problem.  The guy I spoke with says they know there is a problem but have no idea when it will be fixed.  Verizon is as useless as a screen door in a submarine. 

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

Sorry to hear that so many are still seem to be having issues, but I can say honestly that since the KC 4G being switched on earlier this month I have had no issues anymore with reception issues... No buffering, signal dropping or any other connection issues..

As for CS, not every situation has been perfect but I have had good luck with them following up with me on issues and taking care of a good number of them in a timely manner, I have learned that sometimes it is just the person you reach when you call or visit the company that determine the level of customer service, I know this shouldn't be the case but it does happen..

After dealing with Sprint CS for years I cant say that I am happy completely with the service I have but I can say its WWWWWAAAAYYY better than others..

Good Luck on a solution..

0 Likes