Re: Thunderbolt drops 4G off and on
Abejero
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had that problem when it was new 7 mnths ago and found the only solution was to select the phone dialer ad dial *#*#4636#*#*.  Then select "phone information".  Then drag down to the bottom of the page and set Preferred Network Type to CDMA auto (PRL).  This tuns of 4g LTE (which is what we all paid dearly for when we bought it and pay dearly for every month but don't get to use.).When I got the 2.3.4 update the end of September, I thought I could go back to using what I pay for so I turned it back on.  Nope, still no worky.  Had to turn it back off.

At this stage of the game I am not sure there is ANYTHING Verizon can do to make up to us what they have done to us already.  It's like buying a Corvette only to find out that it is only running on four cylinders and then have Cheverolet tell you that they are working on a fix.  Then, six monthes later, they install the fix and now it runs on only two cylinders.  When you complain they tell you it is just too bad but "Coming Soon" is another fix.  And all you can do is quiver in your boots in fear of what the next fix will do to your Corvette.

The "Supervisor" that called me today suggested I/we contact HTC.  I explained that my phone was purchased from Verizon and says Verizon right on the front abd I expect Verizon to fix or replace it.  Personally, I don't care if I never see another HTC ever again.

0 Likes
batherto

Abejero,

Your experience mirrors my own in that support recomended I turn off th 4g LTE (prior to 2.3.4 update), although they said the reason i was dropping was due to the phone not being able to accuratly switch from 3g to 4G LTE when 4g LTE signal was low, and my area was'nt done rolling out (it seemed to make sense because when i went to larger rollout locations like Los Angeles 4g LTE rocked and was always connected). As soon as I got the 2.3.4 I turned 4gLTE back on, salivating at the promised speed, however still experienced times of NO connections as before.

So back to the 3G setting and i seem to now get 3G dropps when i stream data as with on-line radio, which I was not getting before.  

I find the idea that we, as customers should have to take things to the manufacturer, a little silly. I am going to test 4g LTE in another large city this week and if it dropps there I am going to call support again to ask what i can do to get a phone that works because I do love the hardware I just want the functionality i bought the phone for. <sigh>

0 Likes
Abejero
Enthusiast - Level 3

Batherto,

I have a 4G tower literally in my parking area in the back of my building.  I sure don't have weak signal.  LOL  I have all of the bars lit.  I think they are worse than grabbing at straws.  How many bars are you getting?  I also thought that MAYBE I was too close to the tower but, alas, when I go a mile away, all of the same problems exist.  Face it, the phone is the problem, not the signal.  My current solution is to reboot every two hours or so just to see if I have any missing VMs and to make sure the data connection is refreshed so my emails come through, etc.....

After reading all of these different posts, I wonder how the TB gets a rating of 4.5 out of 5?  Hard to believe.  I hate to leave Verizon as they have the best coverage BUT, I think it is time to move my $250 a month to somebody else.  From the last conversation with them, they no longer seem to care if their customers stay or not.  Evidently they have gotten too big for their britches and have too many customers.  The Samsung Galaxy 2S at T-Mobile looks better every day.

0 Likes
tattooedchick
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have to agree with you.  Its the Thunderbolt and Verizon both.  I see problems with all of the 4G devices that Verizon offers.  Just look at the other forumns.  I think android is just a buggy operating system, especially with Verizon.  I picked up a Samsung Galaxy S2 with AT&T.  Loved the phone but the AT&T service didn't work good where I live and work.  So unfortunately, I had to return it.  I figured since I'm going to have to stick with Verizon, because of receptioin issues with other carriers, I might as well get the iPhone.  At least the iPhone does work.  I do hate going to the smaller screen but,  since I don't have 4G here, it will do. 

0 Likes
FV3riz0n

Yeah, I agree with you about them no caring.  They've gotton too big for their britches.  If enough people leave, they will change their tone.

0 Likes
patt3332
Enthusiast - Level 3

That is a very naive attitude. I left AT&T after 15 years to come to Verizon. It had nothing to do with any provider feeling "too big for their britches" or not caring. They are all the same! They are all out to make the most profit possible and if you think any of them care about you, you're dreaming. They only care about your money. The good old days when they would bend over backwards to make you happy to get and keep your business are gone because if you leave to go to AT&T, or Sprint, there are two other dissatisfied people leaving them to go to Verizon. No matter what you might think, they all now have basically the same types of phones, operating systems, plans and customer service. Whatever one does, the others soon follow and if you think one is better than the other in that regard, you are being very short sighted. The only difference between them is which one has the best coverage in your area and in my area, that's Verizon. Other than that, there is basically no difference in any of the providers.

0 Likes
RMLJ
Contributor - Level 1
You do not have to reboot your phone to see if you have voice mail just put the icon for voice mail on one of your home screens. When you open that it will tell you how many voice mails you have. A lot less time to check.
0 Likes
RMLJ
Contributor - Level 1
Great now I'm dropping connection Greensboro, NC anyone else?
0 Likes
xkwisit

According to the rep I talked to this morning because I have no internet access, there is a 4G outage along the entire East Coast.  Even tho I don't have 4G in my area I am still affected & have no internet whatsoever.  But they are working it & it will up & running "soon". 

0 Likes
batherto

Just as a follow up posting , I have been having issues with my Thunderbolt dropping its data connection.

Well I am on a business trip up to Portland OR and the 4g LTE has been working non-stop for 3 days now. 

I am actually very happy with this because now I know that at least its (probably) not the phone. 

Prior to leaving on this trip i had left my phone on 3G mode for the last few weeks because at least it did'nt drop the data. I am actually cautiously optimistic, and will leave my phone on 4gLTE mode once home.

0 Likes