Re: Thunderbolt drops 4G off and on
patt3332
Enthusiast - Level 3

Seajohn, sorry, that may be my fault since I said that I thought Christina's tip may have helped me. I didn't mark it solved, but possibly Christina did. Just because I thought it might have helped me, doesn't mean it helped anyone else. I think some of us are now getting a good data connection and some still aren't. I started having more trouble after I got the Gingerbread update early Friday morning, but after several restarts, I finally got a steady 4G signal on Sunday that still hasn't dropped out. I still don't know if Verizon was coincidentally working on the network at the time of the update, or if all of the restarts I did made a difference, but the phone was also doing some other odd things that have also straightened out since Friday. Maybe the update and the phone just needed time to get use to each other. I probably should have taken Ann's advice and done a factory reset before the update, but the two I've done weren't that much fun and didn't fix anything.

Right now, the only thing I've noticed missing is still the voice mail notification.

0 Likes
Fatdog1028
Enthusiast - Level 2
You guys are not alone in your issues. I live on the outskirts of Omaha, which us now 4g. My home is in 3g coverage. I had a Verizon rep suggest that I switch my thunderbolt to cdma only to conserve the battery. I informed that I paid full retail price for the phone so that I can get 4g whenever possible. That was quite a testimonial for the quality of their network.
0 Likes
djysrv
Enthusiast - Level 2

About 10 days ago my HTC Thunderbolt started dropping 4G connections, in fact, had no connection, when moving from one tower to another.  After several calls to Verizon they told me to downshift the phone to 3G service only. The reason they said is that a firmware fix is scheduled soon (?) which will resolve the problem.

My feedback to Verizon is that I upgraded to the HTC unit to get 4G service, and not to have a 3G brick with an extended battery.  I'm in the 4G service area in Cleveland.

The 3G service works flawlessly except in major airports.  On flights to DCA, CLE, and DET I got 1x service and that's standing on the runway ramp to board a regional jet.

BTW: Delta now bans "airplane mode" on their flights for cellular devices.

0 Likes
SeaJohn

@patt3332: No problem, I just didn't want Verizon to think it's been fixed, when the issue is still occurring.

However, since nothing else seemed to work, I've now tried a non-Verizon-recommended solution.  So far, I've gone 5 days without losing 4G, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

0 Likes
patt3332
Enthusiast - Level 3

My 4G is still working fine most of the time, but I would be interested in what your non-Verizon -recommended solution is. Any chance of posting it without causing problems? If not, feel free to PM me.

Thanks

0 Likes
SeaJohn

Annnnndd...On day 7, I'm back to 3G.  So much for that solution (2 posts up).  (My friend's Tbolt is showing 4G right next to mine).

I hope Verizon/HTC is really working on this, and not just pointing the finger at each other.  

0 Likes
patt3332
Enthusiast - Level 3

SeaJohn, I was just wondering if your friend's TBolt is stock and running the new Gingerbread, or do you both have the same configuration?

0 Likes
dhp58
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm in a 3 g only area, did not get the Gimgerbread update, but have lost my connection off and on since last week, and today have had no better than 1X all day, when I've actually had a connection. I really don't want to do a factory reset because I don't think it will really help. My husband has an Incredible 2 and he has a connection when I've had none, and it's a solid 3 g. Haven't had any problems until now.

0 Likes
SeaJohn

@patt3332: I know 3 other people with TBs: 2 with stock Froyo, one Verizon GB.  All exhibit this behavior occasionally.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

To be honest I have came to the conclusion the network isnt made to handle the LTE traffic that is demanded and the this is causing issue with the network due to network overload...  Also the seem to have to take parts of the network offline when they are doing mauntenance updates to add additional towers to handle the traffic...

I hope they do something to resolve this soon because its getting to the point that Grandfathering long time customers into data plans and hotspot plans doesnt mean a thing if we cant get a stable connection..

0 Likes