Thunderbolt drops 4G off and on
SeaJohn

My Tbolt won't stay in 4G mode.  It will do fine for a few days, and then drop to 3G, or sometimes 1x, and occasionally, nothing.  I'm right in the middle of OKC where there is great 4G coverage.  My wife also has a TBolt, and hers is locked solid to 4G at 20Mbps, while mine won't even acknowledge 4G's existence.  Same thing when comparing it to 2 other people at work with Tbolts.  After an undetermined amount of time, I'll look at it, and its back to 4g.

I have LTEOnOff, and I've tried toggling between CDMA only/LTE mode/CDMA +LTE/EvDoAuto, but it doesn't help.  I've tried toggling in and out of Airplane mode - no help.

When I started typing this, it was in 3g.  Now it's showing nothing. 

Verizon's attempted explanation is that I'm probably on the edge of 4g/3g, but I can't accept that when other's phones don't have this problem right next to mine.

Are there any solutions, other than to get my phone warrantied out?

Now it's on 1x.  :<  My wife's is on 4g.

0 Likes
Re: Thunderbolt drops 4G off and on
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

There is at least one other thread here about this problem. 

http://community.vzw.com/t5/ThunderBolt-by-HTC/Reduced-Radio-and-4G-Data-Reception-Post-Update/td-p/...

I've seen threads mentioning the same problem on other forums. I also don't believe it has anything to to with location since I tether my laptop to my TBolt at work and I had a good consistent 4G connection until the latest update. Now it's in 3G the majority of the time and only goes into 4G for short periods of time. Another one of those Android inconsistencies that affect some phones and not others. Unlike you however, if I put mine in LTE mode, I usually get 1x first, then after about 1-2 minutes, it goes to 4G and stays there pretty consistently.

I don't plan on trading my still new condition phone in on a CLN any time soon. I am only guessing that they'll want to send you a CLN phone to replace the one you have, but from what I've read on the forums, the chance of getting a CLN phone in actual like new condition is a bit of a crap shoot. I'll wait it out until the next update. Hopefully that will be Gingerbread unless they come up with another interim OTA that fixes this problem.

0 Likes
SeaJohn

I called tonight and talked to a very helpful Verizon rep who said that there are only 3 causes for this - a network problem (which would cause a lot of people to call in), a phone problem, or a simcard problem.  Tomorrow I'm going to get my sim switched out to see if that fixes the problem. 

One interesting thing, my phone had been off 4g for several hours.  As soon as I dialed 611, it *poof* switched back to 4g!

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3
Ever since the mr2 update my tb has been dropping to 3G or 1X every couple of days. Sometimes just power cycling corrects the problem, other times it requires a restart( sometimes 2!). I lose data connection when this happens too(SMS, MMS, Internet). Mine was ok(livable) before they messed it up with the last update. VZW get your act together! I paid full retail for this very expensive phone and believe it should work without jumping through hoops. Oh, I'm in one of the initial rollout 4G city's Rochester NY so there should be no reason for my 4G phone losing 4G coverage. I've also done battery/sim pulls, toggle to airplane mode and back, factory reset(royal pain) so its up to VZW to fix their software problem that I'm frustrated living with. I'm tired of "soon" and other canned answers.
0 Likes
jboslooper

Thank goodness i'm not alone in this problem!  I bought the Thunderbolt the day it came out and at the time I lived in the Detroit area.  I never had any issues with service or my phone.  Since then I have moved to the Dallas\Forth Worth area and have had nothing but problems since with my service.  The phone seems to switch between 4G/3G and 1X frequently and even more frequently, the data connection will just drop altogether (No Data Symbol, Just Signal). 

I have attempted to explain this to several Verizon reps but they are "stumped".  The most recent phone call I made was 2 hours long and I just don't have that kind of time to sit on the phone and troubleshoot on a weekly basis.  I have updated the phone to the most recent software release and there are a few things that work better, but now, there are other issues that need to be addressed.  

STILL I am having the constant signal issues of switching between networks and dropping altogether.  If I attempt to use a 3rd party app to turn off 4G altogether, I then cannot get SMS messages but turning off 4G altogether defeats the purpose of purchasing this phone int he first place. 

This is a serious issue and needs to have a knowledgable team to address this specific issue.  Any VERIZON REPS READING THIS??  Let's get this fixed!!

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

"If I attempt to use a 3rd party app to turn off 4G altogether, I then cannot get SMS messages but turning off 4G altogether defeats the purpose of purchasing this phone int he first place."

I wanted to say that you can, or should be able to turn off 4G without using a third party app by going to Settings/Wireless & networks/Mobile networks/Network mode and clicking on CDMA only which will only use 3G and not jump from 4G to 3G.

"This is a serious issue and needs to have a knowledgable team to address this specific issue.  Any VERIZON REPS READING THIS??  Let's get this fixed!!"

I also agree with your last comment and if you refer to the link in my first post, a Verizon rep did respond and as far as I  know, no one has heard for the rep since. I very seldom see a rep respond with a solution after their first one or two posts.

http://community.vzw.com/t5/ThunderBolt-by-HTC/Reduced-Radio-and-4G-Data-Reception-Post-Update/td-p/...

If I continue to have problems with it, I'll try another Factory Reset, but I really don't think that's going to help to fix the problem any more than it did the last time HTC had me do one because they didn't have any other suggestion for fixing my problem.

Your best bet may be to just keep calling Verizon tech support and bugging them until they actually do something. One of the first things they will probably tell you is to uninstal the third party switching app. I've already done that an it doesn't work, so I'm still using one to force it into 4G. You might also use the same tactic by going to your Verizon store repeatedly and complaining, just because I tend to get more help and better responses from the reps in the stores and they will sometimes do things that the phone customer support reps won't, or say they can't. At least that's been my experience, but maybe I just have good store reps. They tend to try harder to make me happy.

0 Likes
SoonerFan701

I also live in OKC and I am having the exact same problem. I have to restart the phone to get my connection back. Did not have any of these problems until I loaded the last update. My wife makes fun of me and my phone because I spend more time cussing at it than using it since I had to wait for the TB to come out and buy it the day it came out so I could have the latest and greatest. Now it is a very expensive paper weight. Very upset about all the money I paid for this phone and it seems with every update it is getting worse.

0 Likes
SeaJohn

An update: I haven't gone by to get a new sim card yet, but my phone's been staying in 4g with no problems until today. I've been streaming music from my home server (Subsonic's a great program BTW!) all day, and a couple of hours ago, I looked down, and the phone was in 3g mode.  I tried switching in and out of Airplane mode and power cycling the phone, but it didn't budge.

Based on my experience above, I started dialing 611, and it kicked back into 4g.  I didn't connect; just clicked on the Phone button on the home screen and pressed 611.  That's the first phone call I've made today.  

It could easily still be coincidence, but I'm going to keep waiting on the sim swap and see if the same thing happens in a few days.

0 Likes
novatian

I have the Samsung Droid Charge, and have this EXACT same issue... it actually got MUCH worse in the last 24 hours in terms of the phone, almost making it unusable... It switches constantly from 4G to 3G to 1X -- in the same exact location (my house)... which shows in the 4G coverage area.  Recently, voice calls have been going SILENT while remaining connected to the other line, or dropping altogether when I have 4-5 bars.  This has happened a dozen times or so in the last day!

I was freaking out a few minutes ago because the phone WOULD NOT dial out and/or was locking, freezing as it switched back and forth between 3G/4G/noG/service... I'm sitting nervously on a call that has a huge revenue impact to my business and it is teetering on 1 bar with 4G, while it started off at 4... and I haven't moved since the call started!!

So what the heck is going on Verizon?  Seems like they are having stability issues with their 4G coverage, probably due to dynamic bandwidth and traffic levels to their towers.

0 Likes
batherto

I am glad to see I am not the only one having this issue!

I finally got so fed up with my phone constanatly switching from 4GLTE to 3G to 1X (just in the last week or so) I thought I would check here. I don't have any new symptoms or cures to add sadly, but  I wanted to post to say its nice to know I am not the only one in this boat, and I wish Verizon had better communication with customers. I think I am even still waiting for Verizon to send me a message saying that the Thunderbolt was actually realeased for purchase, since I signed up to be notified.

0 Likes