Re: Thunderbolt ICS Update
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't seen the activation screen yet, thankfully. I haven't seen the 1xRTT since the first half hour after booting the phone. I will see how it goes the next few days. I plan on switching back to the Nexus when my billing cycle switches over.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
TBoltOwner
Contributor - Level 1

Almost did a factory reset today, but then I deleted theScore (formerly Score Moble) app, which I noticed as one that always ran in the background whether  had it open or not.  The phone's been unbelievably fast since then...hmmm.........

0 Likes
wendellmn

My replacement phone downloaded the ICS update while I was driving home. Since then it has been incredibly slow. It took 5 minutes between trying to dial a number and the number actually dialing.

0 Likes
TJC1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got the same problem today, and re-booting it fixed the problem. But it didn't fix any of the other problems. ICS is slow, big and has really killed the whole experience of owning this phone. My T-bolt was just perfect on Gingerbread. Now it's a slow-motion catastrophe.

jabo1234
Enthusiast - Level 1

So Ive been watching and reading all the post. First I would like to say, don't forget how much everyone was looking forward to the update. You wouldn't know it by reading the post. Second, yes, ICS does load some of the apps a bit slower. However, the overall performance is not slowed enough for complaints unless you have too much junk on the phone in the first place. I use my phone for work and personal and have numerous apps and some are very heavy. Everything still works fine. I did have to update a couple for the new operating system but nothing major. The added features have more than made up for any minor slow downs. I am still very pleased with the Thunderbolt and have no legitimate complaints with the performance of ICS. I also think that if you clean up your system and make sure your apps are compatible with ICS you will find that you too have nothing to complain about.

TJC1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I wish it were only one app causing my problem. But there is no way to tell without deleting 100+apps. Since the update, Google Calendar does not sync. Every outgoing text message take 5-10 to exit--IF it does exit, as many do not. Also, I am not getting half the incoming texts. After going through a lengthy diagnostic with HTC--including putting the phone in safe mode--it was determined that the OS is the culprit and nothing can be done about it other than maybe doing a factory reset, which I refused to do. If basic internal apps like the weather, messaging, and the phone operate in slow motion or operate only part of the time when in safe mode, then a factory reset will do nothing to improve performance. The HTC rep told me to wait a few weeks for Google to (maybe) put out a service release, but doubt anything (other than a reversal back to gingerbread) will help T-bolt owners now. ICE is wayyyy too big and heavy for a phone this old. Shame on Google for forcing this onto the unsuspecting masses, and especially for not very thoroughly testing ICE on the T-bolt before doing so. They have all the money in the world, and should have parted with a spec of it for testing and refining. I suggest everyone call HTC customer service and complain. They are compiling a list of complaints and will send them to Google. Maybe it will help, who knows.

Palmettoprisssc
Enthusiast - Level 1

How do you do a hard reset at home? Is this taking the battery out? I can see that I have messages but I can't get to them unless I go into people and choose to send message and then I can see the message that they sent me.

wendellmn

when i did the factory reset, I powered down my phone, then held the volume key like i was lowering the volume and powered it up again. that will bring up the boot screen and i did a factory reset. this does erase everything on the phone though, so back up what you want saved.

I will say that after doing this and reinstalling my apps the phone is working much better than it was. it's useable now and I'm still learning how to do some things different with this ICS update. some things I do like about it.

0 Likes
msg452
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've been following this thread, and holding off on the update for as long as I could, for worry that it would trash my phone to the point that it would be unusable.  I really like the Thunderbolt, and have held off on upgrading to anything else because the others I've looked into seem to be missing some features that I like about this phone, even the new DNA, unfortunately.

I'd been turning my phone off at night so the update wouldn't download and install, but I forgot on Friday and it finally caught up to me on Saturday morning, and I was forced to update.  Knew I couldn't hold off forever.  As a side note, we're a business customer, and I don't particularly care for that forced upgrade policy/procedure, but I have to say that after giving the ICS update some time to settle in, and after a few restarts and making a few adjustments here and there, updating some apps, etc., figuring out what's changed, etc., it's actually working quite well and a rather pleasing update.  to the people experiencing problems, that's really crummy, I can understand the anxiety and frustration, and yes, try the factory reset as noted in post 246 here above mine.

One of the things that was holding me back from allowing the update was that I was thinking I'd lose the functionality of the softkeys on the bottom of the phone.  this key functionality is one of the things that has set this device apart from others for me, esp the iPhone and some other Motorola devices at the time the Thunderbolt was released.  I had the HTC Eris before that, which is where I got hooked on HTC's Sense UI.  I'll follow HTC for as long as they keep up the pleasing, intuitive, and functional interfaces that are tasteful and not contrived, cheesy, or overdone.  I just wish Verizon would let HTC do its thing and not cripple its devices with the bloatware and this business of the omission of the memory expansion on the DNA, but that's another conversation.

Anyway, just dropping in a few lines to say that it seems to be working okay for me, and I'm actually enjoying it.  For the screen capture function alone, it was worth it.  I've been wanting this for ages.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

htc has a big event tomorrow and i'd LOVE to see them roll out a "One" line of devices that will be fairly universal across all carriers (much like the galaxy line from samsung). i think they need to do this to stay in the game. i've had 2 htc's and loved both of them and while Sense is a bit heavy, in my opinion it is still the best Skin out there for an android device. i went with the gsiii for my wife and the note ii for me this past fall though, because verizon didn't get a version of the One line and, as you mentioned, the DNA has no sd slot, which makes it unusable to me. i'm really hoping they give us something that will make me go back to htc for my next phone. they make a solid product. with all of the issues the tbolt had, it was the first LTE phone on the market, and it was htc that brought it. personally, my tbolt was just fine. had very few problems with it, but i no longer used it by the time the official ICS update was pushed.