Re: Thunderbolt ICS Update
msg452
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I was very disappointed that Verizon didn't take the HTC One devices, as well.  I think that's when I began to lose confidence in the decision makers at Verizon.  Worse, there was no explanation as to why, and HTC fans were left wondering when there'd be another device available to us.  I had to assume it was because something better was coming, but ultimately, it (DNA) wasn't better.  It went too long without any information, in my opinion, and I feel sorry for HTC because that lack of SD expansion killed the DNA for a lot of die-hard HTC users, and many have been forced to move on to other devices, like yourself.

We had a few users up for renewal and had to put them on other devices because there weren't any new HTC devices out at the time, and we certainly weren't going to put them on year old technology to ride out a two year contract.  We went with Galaxy S3's and some Motorola Razr M devices.  The users seem to enjoy them, but I didn't much care for the TouchWiz UI on the Galaxy devices.  I find it to be loose and "wasteful", display wise.  I prefer tighter spacing/density on displays, and I haven't seen anyone top HTC's widgets yet, at least imho with regard to design.  Anyway, before I decided to keep the Thunderbolt a while longer, I had it narrowed down to the Galaxy S3, DNA and the Galaxy Note II, as you mentioned you went with.  The Note II would have been my choice, as I'd played around with the Galaxy Note 10.1, and fell in love with the S Pen - best implementation of a stylus I've seen yet.  Ultimately the Note 10.1 went back to the store though, because I found it too big, and without high enough resolution.  If they make a 7 or 8" Note, I'll look again, but again, another discussion.

The Galaxy does have a nicer camera than the Thunderbolt, in my opinion.  I hope HTC doesn't give up on Verizon, haha, and keeps putting out stellar devices, and that Verizon just steps back and doesn't get too involved.  I think the speculative rumor is that Verizon told HTC to pull the SD capability to be able to nudge users to more streaming use to sell data plans.

Anyway, fire up that old Thunderbolt if you still have it to mess with!  I wonder if it would pull the update down over Wifi.  prob not, as it probably needs to be connected to the VZW network, I think.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

msg452 wrote:

Anyway, fire up that old Thunderbolt if you still have it to mess with!  I wonder if it would pull the update down over Wifi.  prob not, as it probably needs to be connected to the VZW network, I think.

I can confirm the Tbolt needs a active SIM card in the device for it to even look for the update. I can post the picture if you like.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
da4htc

Since the update, I've had to completely reset twice - both times

because of the 16-18 wait between changing applications.

Thankfully, the Google Play store keeps a history of past apps so that I

could reinstall them again. Of course, I have far fewer installed than I

did before the ICS debacle. All was well - until last evening the

dreaded wait for it... wait for it... to change screens started again.

The only thing I did before this was to adjust some of the Google-email

settings as I prefer to use the plain email app. Sigh.... I won't be

happy to have to do this for the 3rd - 50th time.

As for the reset - there is a method of using the volume and off/on

button, but you can also to this via the storage entry under settings --

look at the end for "Factory data reset." It may be a good idea to see

if you have a stored history with your Google Play and Amazon apps if

applicable as it certainly speeds up restoring the things that you liked.

I feel as though I'm being held captive by Verizon - and I know how much

they care about customers. My contract runs out next mo. but I

won't be eligible for less than a $$$$ phone until July. To make it

better, the other user on the account is on the hook, as it were, until

June 2014. Fortunately, the other phone while HTC is a Rezound with non

of the current Thunderbolt issues. I've looked into changing my account

to another carrier - but paying cell phone two bills is not fiscally

prudent. So, I can end and freely walk away from my decades of Verizon

service in a year and a half.

0 Likes
da4htc