Re: Thunderbolt ICS Update
mdram4x4
Champion - Level 1

sojerner2 wrote:

then give me a hint where to find a discussion on it that will give me a clue...

ICS was forced by Verizon OTA Update last night.

I had no warning and no option to opt out. in fact I thought the Thunderbolt was going to skip ICS

I dislike ICS and want Gingerbread back.

So much so, that if I cannot figure out how to do it I am considering smashing this phone with a sledge hammer and cancelling all of my Verizon accountsand going back to AT&T and re-activating my Moto Razr Flip Phone

Gingerbread was working fine, had everything set the way I liked it, and with everything else in the stresses of life, I didn't have to deal with the stress of a new learning curve and hitting a bunch of brick walls with the cell phone at least.

Now with ICS on the phone a bunch of the functionality has changed an has become quite un-attractive.

Now, after doing a little research I find that there was a way to block the OTA updates, sure wish I had know about that before last night...

So, is there anyway possible to go back to gingerbread?

I mean, from the partition to the kernel, custom rom, etc... the whole nine yards?

Please... there's got to be a way.... just saying you can't is not sufficient.

google search, or XDA

Lightman500
Enthusiast - Level 2

Text messaging appears to be slow in initializing also.  Finally got it to load after a reboot and several attempts to access messages.  Finally just let it sit for 5 to 10 min... messages finally appeared and it seems to have remembered all the messages.

I have not see the "alarm: issue reported in earlier posts.  Timers, clocks, stop watches appear to be functioning correctly.

Apps appear to have changed to accomodate the new format (I assume).  Overall there are pluses and minuses,... but the minuses outweigh the improvements.  Too bad.

Too early to comment about battery life. 

0 Likes
bjroy92
Enthusiast - Level 2

just spoke to verizon.  Of course, there was no easy solution to the lagging except to try a factory reset.  I told him I had already done that.  The only recourse was to wait for HTC to fix it and release a newer update over the next week.  At least he was confident they would fix it.

0 Likes
AAMCSYSTEMS
Enthusiast - Level 1

DONT DOWNLOAD ICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Its even buggier than gingerbread was.  Can barely make calls, i dial, it will connect FIFTEEN MINUTES later!!   I keep kicking myself for not sticking with gingerbread.  Figured ICS works great on tablet, this would be same, shoulda known better.  These are the same people that sent update that caused resets.

Also, with ICS u have LESS memory now. Right now i have about 560 or so max. Before i had 7 hundred and something memory.  When i installed ICS, the phone was so slow it barely worked at first.  I had to uninstall almost 500mb of apps before it would work. And Go launcher barely works with 500mb of memory.

I think its a plot to force Thunderbolt owners to upgrade and get off unlimited data, how else could 5 months of "testing"  result in a phone this buggy.

Its like Apple and Motorola have moles working for HTC to ensure my next phone is not from HTC (congrats guys, your diabolical plan worked) I'll never trust an update from verizon again, guess ill get an iphone, and use my tablet for my android needs.

Sorry had to get that off my chest, bottom line, ICS on the Thunderbolt is a little prettier, but not worth the upgrade!!!!!

budone
Legend

If everyone is not having a lag issue, how can VZW or HTC fix it?

0 Likes
Raptorfortyfive

Downloaded ICS today.apparently a big mistake. sms not working at all. I can send sms and see new sms on the opening screen but it WILL NOT open any sms. How can I get back to the previous version operating system?

0 Likes
siglerwm

I've seen other posts saying that Verizon is aware but has no solution; yet they're confident it will be fixed by HTC soon. I'll believe that when I see it. I've personally contacted HTC but have yet to receive a reply of any meaning. *fingers crossed*

0 Likes
siglerwm

No way to go back...and factory re-set doesn't seem to help. I'm having all the same problems. Hopefully there's a fix soon. I don't know know anyone who doesn't use their text feature besides the fact that it is beyond annoying that the phone won't function like it's intended to. Hard to believe it took this long to develop an update that makes the phone worse...and our provider pushed for its release.

0 Likes
DJBezo2010
Enthusiast - Level 2

I must report that I have not had most of the problems that people are haveing with the ICS update. Once updated the phone was sluggish for and hour or so but it seems to have "settled in". Applications that were sluggish on first run were quicker on subsequent openings. I went and opened every application that I use regularly and waited for it to fully initialize. After that the phone runs pretty good. The SMS app took especially long to open the first time. I suppose because I have an extremely large amount of texts that I have never erased. Once again, after this initial sluggish opening, subsequent openings were normal. Battery life under average use has been 12 hours, two days in a row.

0 Likes
DJBezo2010
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also went into the Play Store and let the phone update ALL apps.

0 Likes