Thunderbolt Firmware update/Reboot issue
thundrblt

I updated the phone a week ago when I found under my "phone software update", in hopes of an upgrade.  Instead, my phone constantly restarts on it's own.  I have searched this issue out over the net, and it seems that I am not the only one with this issue.  As far back as a month ago, these reports started to leak out onto the net, with the update = phone issues.  I called my local Verizon store asking for assistance, and if they will replace the phone with another Thunderbolt, since this is not an issue that was my fault.  I have had this phone for two months, and I have had not issues with it, until this firmware update; so this is what I told the rep and she said that I can return it if it was within the 14 days of purchase.  I was forwarded to the 800, Verizon number for Tech support.  Instead, I got another CS rep.  He was unaware of this restart issue with the Thunderbolt, which I was surprised to hear since these reports have been out there for about a month now.  The guy was kind of vague on a solution, he basically said to do a factory reset, which I knew about that, I just wanted a little more info on a fix with this issue.  He said since I was on my Thunderbolt, they couldn't do the reset; again, already was aware of this, I just had questions.  I asked to speak to an actual Tech, because the CS rep said he could not answer my questions because he flat out did not know the answer and Techs may know more.  He said he was not going to forward me to speak with a Tech because I was on my Thunderbolt.  I stated that I just had a question, I did not want to do the factory reset at this time. 

Long story short,  I ended up getting completely frustrated because I knew more about this issue than anyone I spoke to, who works for Verizon.  I asked to speak with someone who possibly would be my best chance at having my question answered, and was refused this option. 

The way I see it, I paid over $200 for this phone, and I am paying around $200 per month for my plan.  My phone does not work like it it supposed to, and it's because of some faulty software that was sent out by VZ, or HTC. 

Who else has had this same situation?   Hopefully not many, I have been a VZ supporter for a long time. I would hate for this to change now.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Thunderbolt Firmware update/Reboot issue
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

Homie I fell you on this I to have been a long time VZW customer and the level of support on this issue is sickening. Unfortunately the problem is wide spread but for some reason the techs that know the issue is from the update can't explain why they are still pushing it to phones. My best recommendation is don't take a replacement and return it if you feel its not working for you. The replacement refurbished phones do the same thing and if you're not to late to return it you might consider that. 

check out these topics:

http://community.vzw.com/t5/ThunderBolt-by-HTC/Do-not-let-tech-support-replace-your-Thunderbolt/td-p...

http://community.vzw.com/t5/ThunderBolt-by-HTC/HTC-Thunderbolt-shutting-itself-off/td-p/511932

http://community.vzw.com/t5/ThunderBolt-by-HTC/Latest-Update-quot-Mecha-quot-FAIL-Want-Data-Charge-R...

Basically there are a lot of posts about the many issues with the Thunderbolt right now. It's up to you to decide to stick it out or jump ship. 

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Get another one and don't update if ur not in 14 day. Finally 2 replaced with update now I have a great one without.
0 Likes
SuperKNZ

This problem is driving me crazy.  Before the update, my phone used to shut down randomly (not restart). So I rush to update and what do I get? it restarts  3-4 times a day. I tried their Factory reset and it was a waste of time and replacing the device seems to be a bigger waste.  I pre-ordered the phone and now I'm stuck with this dud.

We should make this issue public so Verizon will do something about it. :smileymad:

0 Likes
thundrblt

I'm with you on that one.  If you call in to the 800 number, or any VZ support, they don't care enough about your problem.  THey give you some generic, scripted answer to your problem, and you end up running in circles with no fix, or solution. 

The cellphone companies are getting away from keeping customers satisfied, and  providing products that last, and do what they say they can do.  They are taking advantage of us, because, people like myself, pay a lot of money for their products and service;  you do not get care or concern for your satisfaction, as you pay for their stuff.  Greed is consuming the cellphone market, and the bigger companies buying out the little guys, isn't helping.  Instead of keeping prices at an affordable rate because they have such a huge share of the market, they (as in ATT & VZ), are creating somewhat of a monopoly. 

0 Likes
Brad6432
Enthusiast - Level 1

Potential class action if there is no resolution?

I understand, updates can be tricky. But ignoring customers, and not having a back out solution is irresponsible.

There should always be a way to back out of an update.

0 Likes
Kai89

I have had this exact same problem! I got this phone in April...and a few weeks ago I did the STUPID software update and my phone will randomly shut off and turn back on all day long. I went to the verizon store..they said they have not even heard of such a thing..sent me a replacement...within the HOUR of having this replacement..my phone shuts off once again. I go back to verizon..the guy working there informs me it is the apps I have downloaded? Okay..that is the whole purpose of this phone..is to download apps..plus I think I had two apps downloaded at the time? Then he tells me I need a new battery..? (I dont think he knows what he is talking about) so I finally call customer service...they were very kind and understanding..but confused as to why my phone would do this..so I was transferred to tech support..the guy said they would send me ANOTHER replacement..I said no. So he transferred me to HTC directly..and the guy I talked to there gave me a warranty and repair #? it is 1-800-229-1235 (for anyone else who wants to call) He told me they have had some other customers with this same problem and are aware that the software update is causing these phones to shut off. The HTC company have been sending out new phones that do NOT have the update on them. I will be calling tomorrow when they are open. Hopefully I will finally get some answers.

0 Likes
colfrmb

Same problems here. I just sat here at my computer and watched as my phone rebooted all on its own and I wasn't on a call or anything.  It really makes me mad when it reboots when I am on a call...  Also having problems with the GPS taking forever and being severely inaccurate and I do not want to have to turn on wifi every time I need GPS.  Stupid workarounds.  Okay, my old DROID never took this long to work and it never rebooted on its own.  Is it the 4G network or the phone? 

A week ago I actually had time to pursue this with VW tech support but I didn't have access to another line so, of course, we couldn't work on it.  "work on it"  I know it will be a total surprise to whatever techie takes the call gets the story...

0 Likes
budone
Legend

I have not DL'd the update on the VZW site. reading these comments and comments from friends keep me from doing so. However instead of getting a new/ maybe refurbed phone from HTC, wouldn't a master reset delete that update from the phone??? Granted everything else is gone also, but if you are going to get another device, either way you will have to load the apps and all again. 

I did just look at my phone, it came with that build and I am not having any issues.....knock on wood, plastic, steel, aluminum......

I jinxed myself, no sooner I say all the above, I look over and I see my phone light up thinking I have a call coming guess what, reboot...... 

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

once the update is on there, it stays. a hard reset will reset it to the same (updated) version that it had  :smileysad:   (i'm fairly certain? maybe someone can confirm?). some have had success returning it for a refurb and getting the old version....but it's a roll of the dice. 

0 Likes