ThunderBolt Is Total Junk
alfieferenzo84

I got mine on friday.

First thing out of the box the volume key dont work (down), There is light bleed thou on the buttons, And the power button has no feedback have to hit 10 x before it turns on.

So i charged it up and did some test.

2-4hrs is the max battery on this thing so i dont know where they got 6hrs from. I have charged the phone about 10 cycles now.

I went and did the test mode and put the phone into cmda only to see if it would help with battery no luck. cmda only 4hrs, cmda 3g 3hrs, 4g about 2-3hrs

My screen is turned all the way down, All Apps closed and all data is off. 4hrs max. Did about 10hrs of reading online for tricks none help really....

But we got this phone for the 4g so to be real with 4g on i get about 2-3 hrs of use.

Swype keyboard you have to get a copy for a evo or it wont work, The beta is buggy no auto space.

Some bloatware...

Call/speaker voice is bad not clear at all

When playing angry birds if i grab my phone a certin way it popup with that speak now thing.

Apps crash alot.

Screen is not very clear but it is big.

All bad aside the phone is nice but with only 2-4hrs of battery its going back to the store. If it laster 6hrs i would keep it.

0 Likes
Re: ThunderBolt Is Total Junk
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

It should get more than that with the screen on full brightness and heavy usage.  You may have a bad battery.

0 Likes
alfieferenzo84

Do you have the phone? Read all over the net you will not get more then 3-4hrs from this phone

I was thinking about exchaging it for a last resort but after reading around its true...

Oh i am talking about use time not how long it will sit in sleep mode.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

yes I have the phone.  After the first full charge, I tried to see how quickly I could kill the battery with streaming iheartradio with the screen on full brightness and then playing around on youtube and easily got almost 6hrs of continuous usage which is better than the Fascinate I have.  Standby time also seems to be better and I usually only have about 2 hrs or so of "actual screen on" time so I have no issue getting through the day.   I'm mainly on wifi.  3G is slightly less and I don't have LTE in my area yet.

0 Likes
alfieferenzo84

I dont know maybe it is a bad phone but everywhere online go with what i am saying. You samsung should get way better battery....

So i am testing screen on everything else off. All data and service is off. Just the screen is on and its set to the lowest setting. I have had the phone on for 4 hrs and 15min and its at 27%. So this test looks good. No service no nothing just screen on it prolly wont make it to 5hrs thats amazing.

Do you think i should exchange it and try another? I really like the 4g its so fast. All the other issues im sure can be fixed with rooting or something.

0 Likes
RobB772
Contributor - Level 3

I get a lot more than 2-3 hours, more like 6+ hours with ~37% charge left. Yesterday I played all day trying to fix my weather location problem, texted 15+ times, got 3 or 4 phone calls and dueled with my wife on who could go places on the internet faster(her iPhone or my thunderbolt), Downloaded stuff from the market, played Angry Birds ect.

Are you searching for 4G/3G signal or do you get a strong signal (It could be all the searching eating battery life much the same as old phones did searching for analog/digital coverage

0 Likes
alfieferenzo84

i cant even get 5hrs with just the screen on and its at its lowest setting...

went into test mode and turned off all service

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i suspect this has A LOT to do with LTE. from what i've seen on the forums, those that don't have LTE available in their area are getting significantly more battery life. those on the LTE network seem to barely get 5-6 hours, whether they are actually using it or not. i'm in an LTE area and i'm nervous to get one now. i can handle 3 hours of actual use if i get another 8-10 of idle/standby time......but i can't handle it if it will be dead in 5-6 hours without even using it, because it constantly drops the LTE. i can't get one until the 29th so i guess i'll jst keep monitoring these threads.

0 Likes
alfieferenzo84

all services off i cant get 5hrs so it dont matter about 4g

the screen alone kills the battery in 4 1/2 hrs on lowest settings and again all services are off

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

That's the consequence of having a large screen.  None of the Android phones are going to get great battery life when compared to a blackberry or flip phone.

0 Likes