Re: Swipe
dmw4814

I've ALREADY installed the beta version of Swype for Android phones; it does NOT work properly on the Thunderbolt when composing SMS messages. I was asking how to install an EVO specific version of the Swype keyboard (if that even exists) onto my Thunderbolt.

Dennis

0 Likes
joela44

the only issue I have found is that Swype does not auto space in SMS text messages. It works perfectly in email and everywhere else. At least for me. I did  search for Swype on the phone as I didn't know it wasn't there. I was sent to the market, downloaded it, and have been "Swype-ing" ever since! And nary a problem to report!

0 Likes
bearx16
Contributor - Level 1

Bummer,  went to the site downloaded it, did the tutorial, practiced on SMS, no space between words, sent a practice SMS all worked good except for the spaces.  Tried it again and would not work.  Uninstalled, redownloaded still did not work, swype keyboard did not even come up this time and the box was checked under manage applications.  Uninstalled.  That's ok I'm old and need the practice typing and I've got nothing else to do. 

Thanks for the opportunity to try.

0 Likes
21stNow
Master - Level 1
Ultra keyboard and SlideIt are paid apps that may work as alternatives to Swype.
0 Likes
bearx16
Contributor - Level 1

21stNow wrote:
Ultra keyboard and SlideIt are paid apps that may work as alternatives to Swype.

Thanks, I will check them out.

0 Likes
dmw4814

Go to the Android Market and download Handcent; it's a text messaging application that works WAY better than the stock Android text messaging application (and is WAY more customizable, too)!

Swype works perfectly with it; no problems with spaces between words at all.

Dennis

0 Likes
bearx16
Contributor - Level 1

dmw4814 wrote:

Go to the Android Market and download Handcent; it's a text messaging application that works WAY better than the stock Android text messaging application (and is WAY more customizable, too)!

Swype works perfectly with it; no problems with spaces between words at all.

Dennis

Tried Handcent, for me it did not solve the problem of spacing in SMS.  Spaces everywhere else but there.

0 Likes
dmw4814

Wow, that's really surprising because I had the same exact problem with no spacing between words ONLY in the stock HTC texting application (worked fine everywhere else), and as soon as I installed Handcent, I had no more problem with no spaces between words when texting from inside Handcent. The problem still exists, however, when using the stock HTC texting app included with the Thunderbolt (Swype says that the stock HTC texting app isn't configured properly, and that's why Swype isn't spacing properly there; they say it's up to HTC to correct whatever parameter isn't set properly).

When you installed Handcent, did you long press inside a text box (where you type the SMS text), choose the standard input method, then long press again and choose Swype? If not, try that and see if that helps. Hope you get it worked out as I know how frustrating that can be!

Dennis

0 Likes
bearx16
Contributor - Level 1

dmw4814 wrote:

Wow, that's really surprising because I had the same exact problem with no spacing between words ONLY in the stock HTC texting application (worked fine everywhere else), and as soon as I installed Handcent, I had no more problem with no spaces between words when texting from inside Handcent. The problem still exists, however, when using the stock HTC texting app included with the Thunderbolt (Swype says that the stock HTC texting app isn't configured properly, and that's why Swype isn't spacing properly there; they say it's up to HTC to correct whatever parameter isn't set properly).

When you installed Handcent, did you long press inside a text box (where you type the SMS text), choose the standard input method, then long press again and choose Swype? If not, try that and see if that helps. Hope you get it worked out as I know how frustrating that can be!

Dennis

Thanks for the help.  I am claiming a deficincy due to my age, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
dmw4814

bearx16 wrote:

Thanks for the help.  I am claiming a deficincy due to my age, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :smileyvery-happy:

Well, I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself - in (way) less years than I have fingers on my hand, I'll be able to join AARP!!

Dennis

0 Likes