Suddenly poor reception and battery life
stanantonov

Android 4.4 done mid February

I started noticing problems about a week ago. I didn't install any new apps, didn't drop the phone, phone is not rooted and everything worked beautifully up until a week ago. All of a sudden I'm now getting 1 bar at the office where used to get full bars (other people with verizon service and different phones ARE getting full bars in the same exact spot). I can't tell for sure, but I think generally the reception became much worse all around. Consequently to this (i think) the battery life got cut in half. Everything else works fine. I tried rebooting the phone, changing the "preferred network" setting from "global" to "LTE/CDMA" nothing helped. Any ideas to what have caused this and how to fix it?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Suddenly poor reception and battery life
stanantonov

Upon further investigation I discovered the following: an Iphone 5S gets full bars here when he switches to "CDMA only", if he switches back to "global" he gets 1 bar just like me. An older HTC phone gets full bars and doesn't have an option to switch (so it's CDMA only). My phone still only gets 1 bar even after switching "preferred network" from "global" to "LTE/CDMA"

Is it possible that a GSM tower is down in this area? and that's why its happening, why can't I switch to CDMA only like the iphone?

0 Likes
Not applicable

Verizon wireless uses CDMA not GSM. Additionally Global Roaming should be off since you are in the USA.

The GSM abilities of a new iPhone is for use outside the USA.

Now I have my phone just set to the default and in many areas I get 4G LTE even in lower marble and steel buildings. Other times it reverts to three dots of service. Again it does not affect the use of my device.

I have no experience with the HTC One on Verizon but on my T-Mobile it connected at full strength. But T-Mobile is GSM so that may have been the difference. However I no longer use their service. But as you noted my iPhones have great reception indoors and out. But the new iPhones have multiple radios and get better reception. Which is probably why it has service over your HTC One.

Good Luck

0 Likes
PyroOperator

One of the key reasons I purchased the Razr MAXX HD was the great battery life.  Ever since the upgrade to KitKat the battery life has gone down drastically, and I now have recurring issues with bluetooth dropping a proper connection with my vehicle.

Before the KitKat upgrade my battery life was 2-3 days before having to charge, now I am not quite able to last a full day.

Before the upgrade I never had any issues with bluetooth, and now I have had to release and repair twice with my vehicle in the first 4 days.  It seems the biggest probably is that even though I can either still dial or receive the calls using the vehicle controls, the audio does not come through the car audio system, and the phone stays in handset mode.

I hope Verizon is able to address the bluetooth and poor battery life issues soon,  My phone is no longer the same.  I can live with all the other changes (loss of Swype, different text colors, etc...), but these two have cripple what was a really good phone.

0 Likes