Since Update to ICS, Thunderbolt Restarts randomly, instantly draining battery by 80%
cernoma
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am thrilled that the HTC Thunderbolt was finally OK'd for the update to Ice Cream Sandwich... and the operating system update is everything I had hoped for.  My issue that I can't figure how to fix is that the phone will randomly restart while I am in the middle of doing anything.  Obviously, this can be frustrating, especially if I were in the middle of actively using the phone

What I find especially disturbing is the battery charge status before and after these random resets.... A lot of times, these resets occur while I have a mostly charged battery... This morning, after one reset, the battery full % was immediately reduced to 9% (In the RED)... whoa.. from a single reset?  Seems way off... I was at least 80-90% full prior... I cannot imagine that a single restart would drain the battery so much...

Something is off.  Am I the only one experiencing these issues? (Random phone restarts and massive battery power loss after said restart)

Thanks,

Now I am noticing an issue with SIM Card... about every 3-4 restarts, the phone is giving me a message stating that it the phone is activating (AGAIN) and that I have to wait for another restart after 2 minutes... this planned restart never occurs... Now I can't tell if the issue is related to the Ice Cream Sandwich update or something else... Of note, I did just receive this refurbished phone on account of the OTA software update for Ice Cream Sandwich would not apply correctly...  Are the problems related to Ice Cream Sandwich, a battery, a refurbished phone, a SIM card... I just can't narrow down issue... This is my second refurbished phone that I am having difficulty with, so I am sincerely hoping this is not the issue as it paints a bad image towards the reliability of any reburbished phone... Once fine, but more than that is a trend that should not be ignored... Message was edited by: cernoma cernoma

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Since Update to ICS, Thunderbolt Restarts randomly, instantly draining battery by 80%
budone
Legend
If plugged in the battery will not drain. As I suggested to the other poster, place the device in safe mode for a day, and see if the situation disappears. If it does, it is an app conflict or a bad app.   I have the TB, and zero issues at all. again, after the update, I did a master reset. Which, IMO, is needed after amazon update.

View solution in original post

Re: Since Update to ICS, Thunderbolt Restarts randomly, instantly draining battery by 80%
bmckenna

I've experienced the exact same issue since the "upgrade" to ICS. I remember when I first got this phone that it was experiencing spontaneous reboots but it eventually was corrected. But now I can't even get the phone to run for 5 minutes without it shutting itself down. Because I use my phone for work in the field it makes things very difficult. I took mine into my local store and was told that the reboots would eventually subside as the new operating system updates everything. But the problem seems to have only gotten worse since then. Hoping that something can be done very soon!

0 Likes
dan04280_33
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey cernoma,

I am having the same issue with my TB and again ever since the ICS Update. I have never had any issues with my TB until they forced me to update to the ICS.. My phone is in top reselling shape I invest in my phone and I protect it (Seido Hard case and screen protector) I went to bed and woke up with the new ICS and now my phone will be fully charged and I will be using the Internet or even on Facebook and the phone just shuts off. When I try to power it back up the phone notification light is now blinking orange and the phone is beeping at me. If the phone does restart fully (sometimes it will just shut right back off again) The battery is between 4%and 8%. If I plug my phone in when it is booting up it will come right on. But it will not shut off when it is plugged in to an outlet or usb no matter how much i am using it then. I also noticed when it shuts down like this it when it is on the "Network or Verizon Service" it will not shut down unplugged on a WI-Fi connection. I did the battery pull and even went to the factory reset (I hated to do it but did) and still having issues.

I am on the old unlimited data plan. I called Verizon tech support the first lady said oh we can replace it and she would put it under a factory warranty but she had to get me to Level 2 Tech support. I spoke with a Josh there and I told him I did all the steps that they were going to ask me to do (battery pull and factory reset etc..) He asked how long I have had my phone and I explained to him that I have had it all most two years and I have never ever had an issue like this and told him that I have been on here reading posts about people having problems after the ICS update. He then proceeded to tell me there was nothing he could do for me. I explained to him that I did not cause this issue that the update did. That I never know when my phone will just turn off and come on with a low battery. The only thing he told me was that I could re-new my contract and get a new phone... I was like NOOOO I am not paying for data when I had a perfectly good working phone until you (verizon) pushed this update out and of course I get well it wasn't verizon they don't make the software for it blah blah blah.... It an HTC software issue ... But when you call HTC they tell you its a Verizon issue!!! Why can't anyone own up to a problem??? This is isn't right what these companies do to people. You know I could see if I the customer did something to my phone to cause this problem fine shame on me and I would then have to get a new phone with the new contract. BUT I DID NOTHING TO MY PHONE TO CAUSE THIS ISSUE!!!!  THEY DID now they tell me my phone is out of warranty and I have to get a new one even though it was their update that caused this issue... NOT RIGHT!!!!  I am beginning to think they did this to the unlimited data customers to make them get a new phone so they can make their money from the new contracts in the data usage???

Well that's my two cents worth I am not very happy with all this and of course we as consumers have to put up with company's like these. I even called a lawyer and he told me that company's like this you can't even find an address to write to to file a complaint and they will keep refusing to help you until you just break down and do as they say like buy a new phone out right or like for me to re-new my contract and pay now for data usage. Also unfortunately there is not much other choices for cell phone company's here in Maine or the coverage of service. Verizon right now has the best coverage then all the others and better phones. If I had great Sprint coverage I would switch to them for their unlimited services..

msg452
Enthusiast - Level 3

I completely understand this disgust and frustration.  I liked my Thunderbolt just fine on Gingerbread, and tried to defer the ICS update for as long as I could, but it snuck up on me and was installed.

had all the same problems as everyone else.  a hard reset seemed to address the responsiveness issues, but then I started having the progressively worsening random reboots.  I was convinced it was a software/hardware conflict, but read a suggestion on another post where a contributor mentioned that it sounded like a weak battery.  I never had any battery issues before, so I brushed that off - "not me".  well, out of desperation one day, I tried the battery out of an earlier damaged thunderbolt that we have in the office.  stability restored.  I've not seen a single random reboot since.  I cannot explain how/why my battery began to fail, but it appeared to coincide with the updates.  I can only speculate that the update process taxed the battery and a poor battery condition just got worse.

if you still have your phones and enjoy them, I'd recommend a new battery and hard reset and reinstall all your apps.  my phone's been working pretty well since.

I couldn't find a battery for my phone through Verizon, so I ordered the 1750mAh one that SEIDO offers.  just be sure to follow the instructions for the first 5-6 charge cycles if you go this route.  they recommend 8hrs initially for best performance.  hope this helps!

0 Likes
chris_k1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I did the ICS update when it was released, and everything was great.  Then about 3 weeks ago, my battery completely went down the crapper.  Now it wont last more than 10 min off the charger doing anything... at all.  I didn't think it was related to the ICS update--just an 18 month old battery reaching the end of its life.

I've pre-ordered an S4, so I wont be dealing with it much longer, though.  I can't wait to get rid of the TB.  HTC and VZW should be ashamed for selling that piece of junk.

0 Likes
hammerofhu

I have had the same prob with my Thunderbolt since update.  spoke to verizon numerous times and replaced phone 3 tims but problem remains.  phone doesnt turn off when charging, but randomly when not charging and then reboots wit battery power completely drained. i have 3 batteries and it happens with all 3, so not a battery issue.  verizon gave me these responses.  1. factory reset and remove the googlemail acct used to back up your files.  they said there may be corrupt date in your googlemail acct which is going back to phone. also 3rd party apps may be prob.  2. restart phone in safe mode.  you will lose access to certain aspects of phone, but phone may not turn off.  3. remove SD memory card as corrupt data may be stored on memory card. 4. replace SIM card.  well i tried the first 3 options with no success at all!  wasted a lot of time.  now verizon is sending me a new SIM card and i will try that tmrw.  seems to me that verizon is trying to force us all out of the unlimited data plan, as there 1st response to everything is "give up your phone and unlimited data and get a new phone with a crappy limited data plan".  clearly they caused this prob, so how they can act like they dont know how to fix it is ridiculous!!

0 Likes
budone
Legend

As my TB has been flawless since the update (However I did do a master reset after the update) and with it happening with 3 different devices, I suspect an app conflict or a rogue app.

Place the TB in safe mode for a day and see if the symptoms disappear.Safe mode takes any apps you have downloaded out of the equation

Safe Mode - Thunderbolt™ by HTC

0 Likes
Not applicable

Hi cernoma,

Thanks for reaching out to us about your update concerns. This is a great update that many Thunderbolt users were waiting for.  It appears that you are having a problem with an app on your device.  Many times, when doing an update there is an app that is not compatible with the new update. This can be the reason you are having the issues.  I would recomment running your phone in safe mode for 24 hours. This will disable all apps. If the problem does not persist than we can confirm it is an app causing this. If the problems do persist than we know it is an issue with the update. Here is a link to put your phone in safe mode. http://vz.to/18tlfQV Let us know how it goes.

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
ThunderboltPM

Same thing happening here.  I thought the original battery was dead (would go from 1/2 to very low red level out of nowhere).  Since then I have tried: New battery, new phone #1, new SD card, new SIM card, new phone #2.  I am now on phone #3 and the problem is still happening.  Stays on for short amount of time, then turns itself off - no consistent time frame or app.  I have to pull the battery or plug it in to power it back on.  When the phone remains plugged into a charger, it stays on.

Verizon rep KellySM_VZW, why would it work when plugged in if it was an app issue??  It should behave the same.

0 Likes
budone
Legend
If plugged in the battery will not drain. As I suggested to the other poster, place the device in safe mode for a day, and see if the situation disappears. If it does, it is an app conflict or a bad app.   I have the TB, and zero issues at all. again, after the update, I did a master reset. Which, IMO, is needed after amazon update.