Replacement phone with poor signal strength, what are my options?
g33k_0ut

I recently received a replacement HTC One M7 through Asurion after the cracked screen on my old HTC One M7  became to frustrating to operate. I've been using it for about a week now and I've noticed that my new phone doesn't get the same reception as my old one. In my apartment (bottom floor of a 2 story building) when I attempt to make calls people complain that I sound really quite, that I'm breaking up or they can't hear me at all. When I go out on the patio my reception improves and I can normally make calls ok but Ive noticed even when I'm sitting in the same spot my bars will jump between 3, 2 and 1 bar making call quality fluctuate. On 4G I've noticed images will load extremely slow at times but the same type of image on the same site (imgur mostly) will load up instantly sometimes too, this is with high and low res images. I'm not sure if they use the same antenna but my WiFi also does the same thing even when I'm in the same room as my router it'll go from full connection to 1 bar. I never had any of thesd problems with my old HTC One even with the cracked screen and several drops to it. So my question is are there any settings I can adjust that will improve my signal strength? I would really rather not have to get a another new phone because of all the work of re-setting up all my remotes and app preferences but is that an option for a malfunctioning antenna or w.e. this may be? Can I prove this so I can get it replaced for free through Verizon and not have to pay $99 to Asurion again?

Some other info
-Zip code 44256
-No case on the phone
-When I received the phone from Asurion it said on the packaging the 4G SIM card was preinstalled but when I tried to activate the phone it said there was no 4G SIM card this resulted in an hour long visit at the Verizon store in which I watched the Verizon employee pull a 4G SIM card out of the Asurion phone and replace it with the one from my old phone which ended up not working so he then replaced it with the one that came packaged separately with my Asurion phone (not the one he already pulled out of the Asurion phone). This one didn't work either.... So finally he went to the back got me a brand new 4G SIM card and that one seemed to work. But since it took 3 tries I'm thinking maybe there's something wrong with the 4G SIM card slot/reader? This wouldn't explain my WiFi problem tho.

Please Help, Thanks for your time in advance.

0 Likes
Re: Replacement phone with poor signal strength, what are my options?
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check your network settings, and set it to LTE/CDMA if it is set otherwise.  I've found that phones tend to reset to Global and I have to move it back to LTE/CDMA to get better response/reception.

Is the bluetooth on?  Try turning it off to establish a better wifi/LTE signal.

0 Likes
g33k_0ut

Thanks for the reply. My phone was set to global and I've now set it to LTE/CDMA. I'll give it a try over the weekend and see if things improve.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Don't forget to restart the phone (reboot) after switching to LTE/CDMA from Global.  And let us know if this works for you.

0 Likes