Re: Rebooting after update
vx1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:

Then you should do just that. Return your device if you are unhappy. After 14 days you have nothing to blame but yourself. If I was having your problems i would have returned my phones if i was in your position. Wait I did do that... Went back to my iPhones due to battery life.

That being the case, may I ask why you are in the Thunderbolt forum giving lots of lofty bloviation and playing the VZW apologist to people having serious problems with their TB and getting little or no help from Verizon? You're not really helping...

JMDL
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was in Savannah GA over the weekend when I updated the software so I did it via 3G and I noticed it rebooted 3 times. After I came back to Atlanta I did a couple of things and not sure if either of those helped but I havent had a reboot since sunday. 1) I turned off the phone, not restarted it, but I turned off the phone for 10 minutes and took the battery out. 2) I had the "fast reboot" option checked on my phone since I bought it, I unchecked that too just for kicks. So in the last 48 hours I have not had a reboot, not sure if it's that I am on 4G now that I am back in Atlanta or the fact I did a hard reset for 10 minutes or the fact I unchecked the "fast reboot" option from the settings menu.

My GPS works better now, I get more battery life (although I was able to buy the extended battery anyway so it doesn't really matter to me now) the video issue is solved, that's a big plus for me, I hated how you could barely hear anything when making a video before the update. I hope this helps someone and good luck.

pocproductions
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have to chime in here as well...  I had the random turning off thing occuring after the update as well, and gps didn't seem to work at all.  I took out the battery and sim for a few minutes and restarted, it seemed to fix it, at least for a while.  That was back on Friday.  Since then, my GPS works great - really quick lock like under 5 secs, but I have had one random reboot.  I'm not too worried about that as all the android devices I've had would do this from time to time, and I think my iPhone did it too periodically.  If it happens again soon I'll do a factory reset, if it happens after that back to the store for a fight.  Dunno if I want to keep this thing if it stays unstable.

I must say after the update data seems to be more stable, I'm not having to toggle airplane mode from time to time to get it to work, and streaming while tethering seems to be stable with hulu.

Synycalwon
Contributor - Level 1

I experienced my first unexpected reboot today. It was in the car not far from home in a known very poor signal area I drive through almost every day. Heck, even FM radio is spotty in this low lying area with a ton of trees. It's almost like an RF radio dead zone. Anyway, normally I don't use my phone while driving, instead keep it in the holster on my belt loop. This time, I was curious to do some testing and while driving through this area, I launched the weather app, which is set to update on launch and every 3 hours (the default setting). At the same time, I saw the signal strength disappear and the weather app got stuck on "Updating". Shortly thereafter, it came up with a connection error asking to cancel or retry. During this time, the 3G indicator never went away. I hit retry two times and then on the third, BOOM, the phone rebooted. I've tried doing this at work when the phone indicates low or no signal, but it has never rebooted. At worst, it would time out and prompt to cancel or retry and once the signal strength came back up, all was good.

On a side note, since the update, I have noticed Google Maps update a lot quicker and the phone stays locked on 3G much better (no 4G LTE in my area yet and haven't been to one since the update).

Tboltaz
Contributor - Level 1

Tidbits wrote:

frankzumo wrote:

Well I did a hard reset, soft reset........I even reset the reset to no avail. 

Since I am within my 14 days I will be at the Verizon store first thing Monday morning to get a replacement phone and I will not be updating it. I must also add that this tower theory is as silly as paying for someone to cut my wrists and hang me at the same time. People paid for something that seems to not work.

If I seem a little ticked off it's because I am on a Verizon forum and it seems that they are looking the other way on this problem. I have been on other forums with posts about random rebooting of the "Great HTC Thunderbolt 4G LTE".

Thanks Verizon!

I guess you don't understand the theory at all and all the test data which was presented.   I have seen the data and with recent events I would assume the tower theory is more plausible than what a lot of people crying about.

I will try and make it easier for you to understand what the theory is.  Since it DOES NOT affect every Thunderbolt with the update(if it was the software ALL Thunderbolts would be affected) it has to be hardware on the phone OR towers.  The evidence gathered so far shows that people that are affected are from certain towers. For example Hawaii has 1 4G tower and a slew of 3G towers all with the same maker.  Our local forums shows no signs of reboots, and XDA some people have shown their location here in Hawaii and they didn't have problems.  Yet like in your area your towers are a different maker, and you have random reboots.

Yes things should work as intended and what you are paying for, but you can't honestly blame everything solely on Verizon.  Connecting and maintaining a network is completely different than owning a car...  Early adopters will always run into problems.  Just look at all the other carriers when they rolled out networks themselves.  Look at the first iPhone, or even the G1.  It happens...  If you want a more stable network then it's always best to wait it out before moving to it.

I don't see any posts from a VZW employee on this thread, In my eyes that is completely avoiding the issue. To be honest I couldn't care less about the cause of the issue whether its the towers or software, all I know is my brand new phone on my brand new service plan sucks now. I really don't know why you feel the need to tell all Tbolt owners to relax when you don't even own a Tbolt which means your NOT dealing with these issues. And it makes you look like a **bleep** when you call everyone out for "crying" about the problem, some of us use this for business and these issues were "crying" about can have a very negative impact on productivity. Think before you speak, Apple forum is that way --->  :smileywink:

Tidbits
Legend

vx1 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

Then you should do just that. Return your device if you are unhappy. After 14 days you have nothing to blame but yourself. If I was having your problems i would have returned my phones if i was in your position. Wait I did do that... Went back to my iPhones due to battery life.

That being the case, may I ask why you are in the Thunderbolt forum giving lots of lofty bloviation and playing the VZW apologist to people having serious problems with their TB and getting little or no help from Verizon? You're not really helping...

How am I playing apologist.  You are a chance to get away from your problem.  You are within your 14 days.  I returned mine and I went to an iPhone 4.  If it bothered you that much and you had a chance to get away why don't you?  Seems like to are trying to get a Charge instead of the thunderbolt to make sure you have the latest and greatest without have to pay anything...

Have you read my other posts?  I guess not...  I think you should though maybe you'll learn something about what I am doing here....

0 Likes
frankzumo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:

vx1 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

How am I playing apologist.  You are a chance to get away from your problem.  You are within your 14 days.  I returned mine and I went to an iPhone 4.  If it bothered you that much and you had a chance to get away why don't you?  Seems like to are trying to get a Charge instead of the thunderbolt to make sure you have the latest and greatest without have to pay anything...

Have you read my other posts?  I guess not...  I think you should though maybe you'll learn something about what I am doing here....

The issue at hand is that you have a iPhone. We have a problem and even though you have a theory you are not an employee of Verizon or do you even own a Thunderbolt.

Another thing, from your statement........."Went back to my iPhones due to battery life"  You never really had a problem.

I knew what I was purchasing, along with the battery life. But for you to make silly statements about Thunderbolt owners being some sort of testers or to even want something for nothing is crazy. We PAID for what was advertised and that is what we want. Another thing we would like is some response from Verizon.

I drive a Lexus but I don't go to the Infinite forum and tell them how to drive and Infinite.

Tidbits
Legend

frankzumo wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

vx1 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

The issue at hand is that you have a iPhone. We have a problem and even though you have a theory you are not an employee of Verizon or do you even own a Thunderbolt.

I have owned one, and I returned mine.  It didn't work like I wanted it to, and was advertised having.

Another thing, from your statement........."Went back to my iPhones due to battery life"  You never really had a problem.

Yes i had a problem  i was expecting more than 6 hours of battery life(which is rated talk time and standby time is larger than 6 hours.) which I was not getting after the first week.  Didn't improve returned it got my upgrade back and went back to the iphone 4(which I paid for outright).  So I will wait for the next device out there that catches my eye.

I knew what I was purchasing, along with the battery life. But for you to make silly statements about Thunderbolt owners being some sort of testers or to even want something for nothing is crazy. We PAID for what was advertised and that is what we want. Another thing we would like is some response from Verizon.

Exactly and if it didn't work AS ADVERTISED and you can return it why didn't you?  Why wait past the return date?  Seems asinine to me.

I drive a Lexus but I don't go to the Infinite forum and tell them how to drive and Infinite.

I drive a Grand National, but I worked for Ford and own a few Fords while working there.  I do help people out in forums.   I have owned numerous Androids, and just because I don't specifically own an Thunderbolt it's still an Android device.  So that anaolgy is wrong.  You should be thinging more inline with You drive a Lexus which has the same engines as a lot of Toyota's.  If someone has a problem with said engine you can still help that person out especially if you have worked on it and played with it since the engines inception...

0 Likes
dequardo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Add me to the 'reboot club' after OTA.  WHEN will this get FIXED?

vx1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:

vx1 wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

Of course I have read them. Here's something from one:

"Yes things should work as intended and what you are paying for, but you can't honestly blame everything solely on Verizon.  Connecting and maintaining a network is completely different than owning a car...  Early adopters will always run into problems.  Just look at all the other carriers when they rolled out networks themselves.  Look at the first iPhone, or even the G1.  It happens...  If you want a more stable network then it's always best to wait it out before moving to it."

Frankly I can blame Verizon and with a clear conscience, since they rolled out a huge advertising campaign on how AMAZINGLY AWESOME their LTE network is and how AMAZING the Thunderbolt is. Well, it is hard to "Rule The Air" when the LTE network had a 30 hour outage within a month of the Big Rollout that busted most TBs back to 1XRTT. Further, the TB is so buggy they had to issue a maintenance release of 2.2 firmware that is proving to be worse than the what it is supposed to be fixing in many ways, possibly caused by incomplete preparation of their network to properly support the phone. Of course, nobody knows exactly why, because Verizon is a communications company that doesn't communicate.

Oh, and by the way, for many people, all of this was after the 14 day magic window for returns you are beating everyone over the head with.

BTW, there is "early adopter", and then there is "race to get the stuff to market at any cost". Verizon obviously pushed this one out the door before it was ready. Probably because some of their competition already had "4G" on the street.

This is all I am going to say on the matter.  Enjoy your iPhone.