Re: Rebooting after update
frankzumo
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tidbits wrote:

frankzumo wrote:

Well I did a hard reset, soft reset........I even reset the reset to no avail. 

Since I am within my 14 days I will be at the Verizon store first thing Monday morning to get a replacement phone and I will not be updating it. I must also add that this tower theory is as silly as paying for someone to cut my wrists and hang me at the same time. People paid for something that seems to not work.

If I seem a little ticked off it's because I am on a Verizon forum and it seems that they are looking the other way on this problem. I have been on other forums with posts about random rebooting of the "Great HTC Thunderbolt 4G LTE".

Thanks Verizon!

I guess you don't understand the theory at all and all the test data which was presented.   I have seen the data and with recent events I would assume the tower theory is more plausible than what a lot of people crying about.

I will try and make it easier for you to understand what the theory is.  Since it DOES NOT affect every Thunderbolt with the update(if it was the software ALL Thunderbolts would be affected) it has to be hardware on the phone OR towers.  The evidence gathered so far shows that people that are affected are from certain towers. For example Hawaii has 1 4G tower and a slew of 3G towers all with the same maker.  Our local forums shows no signs of reboots, and XDA some people have shown their location here in Hawaii and they didn't have problems.  Yet like in your area your towers are a different maker, and you have random reboots.

Yes things should work as intended and what you are paying for, but you can't honestly blame everything solely on Verizon.  Connecting and maintaining a network is completely different than owning a car...  Early adopters will always run into problems.  Just look at all the other carriers when they rolled out networks themselves.  Look at the first iPhone, or even the G1.  It happens...  If you want a more stable network then it's always best to wait it out before moving to it.

The theory is just that. A theory.

Until Verizon starts giving some type of feedback all the random chatter is just another theory. You can talk about towers, hardware or even software. I paid for something and I was simply sold two left shoes.

Verizon is selling something that should be stable. If Verizon were selling test phones I would understand that the phone is rebooting and I would be prepared to deal with that.  So since I did not sign a contract for a test phone I feel that Verizon should respond to people with these problems. No just say "We haven't had reports of a problem".

I am within my 14 days so I can get another phone that is simply 3g or I could cancel out and have my original Droid turned back on. Oh....But I would have to pay a restocking fee........Ha!

I paid for the phone that should be stable either on 3g or 4g. I will get another Thunderbolt, because I like it and they sold me a stable phone, before the update.

Once again

Thanks Verizon!

0 Likes
w2xab
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since yesterday when I downloaded the update, my phone has rebooted six (6) times, including once in the middle of a phone call.  I call customer support and they acted like they never heard of the problem.  The one thing they suppested was removing the battery, I tried it and so far it has not rebooted but only time will tell.

Tidbits
Legend

frankzumo wrote:

Tidbits wrote:

frankzumo wrote:

Well I did a hard reset, soft reset........I even reset the reset to no avail. 

Since I am within my 14 days I will be at the Verizon store first thing Monday morning to get a replacement phone and I will not be updating it. I must also add that this tower theory is as silly as paying for someone to cut my wrists and hang me at the same time. People paid for something that seems to not work.

If I seem a little ticked off it's because I am on a Verizon forum and it seems that they are looking the other way on this problem. I have been on other forums with posts about random rebooting of the "Great HTC Thunderbolt 4G LTE".

Thanks Verizon!

I guess you don't understand the theory at all and all the test data which was presented.   I have seen the data and with recent events I would assume the tower theory is more plausible than what a lot of people crying about.

I will try and make it easier for you to understand what the theory is.  Since it DOES NOT affect every Thunderbolt with the update(if it was the software ALL Thunderbolts would be affected) it has to be hardware on the phone OR towers.  The evidence gathered so far shows that people that are affected are from certain towers. For example Hawaii has 1 4G tower and a slew of 3G towers all with the same maker.  Our local forums shows no signs of reboots, and XDA some people have shown their location here in Hawaii and they didn't have problems.  Yet like in your area your towers are a different maker, and you have random reboots.

Yes things should work as intended and what you are paying for, but you can't honestly blame everything solely on Verizon.  Connecting and maintaining a network is completely different than owning a car...  Early adopters will always run into problems.  Just look at all the other carriers when they rolled out networks themselves.  Look at the first iPhone, or even the G1.  It happens...  If you want a more stable network then it's always best to wait it out before moving to it.

The theory is just that. A theory.

Until Verizon starts giving some type of feedback all the random chatter is just another theory. You can talk about towers, hardware or even software. I paid for something and I was simply sold two left shoes.

Verizon is selling something that should be stable. If Verizon were selling test phones I would understand that the phone is rebooting and I would be prepared to deal with that.  So since I did not sign a contract for a test phone I feel that Verizon should respond to people with these problems. No just say "We haven't had reports of a problem".

I am within my 14 days so I can get another phone that is simply 3g or I could cancel out and have my original Droid turned back on. Oh....But I would have to pay a restocking fee........Ha!

I paid for the phone that should be stable either on 3g or 4g. I will get another Thunderbolt, because I like it and they sold me a stable phone, before the update.

Once again

Thanks Verizon!

Then you should do just that. Return your device if you are unhappy. After 14 days you have nothing to blame but yourself. If I was having your problems i would have returned my phones if i was in your position. Wait I did do that... Went back to my iPhones due to battery life.
0 Likes
ippete
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had 2 reboots today, both times when I was using a program that requires GPS.  My 3G connection also seems to have become unstable, only good news is battery life seems better.

BlueMooney
Enthusiast - Level 1

I updated my thunderbolt and in the 36hrs since, i have "noticed" it rebooting itself 3 times.  It did not do this before the update!.

As for the cell tower theory, it would be a  bug on the phone anyway.  The phone should not, and let me repeat myself, the phone should not reboot itself if the cell tower is not updated.  I am not saying that isn't the a factor, but the phone software should be able to handle the situation of an tower software not being updated without rebooting itself.

If the battery needs to be taken out for this update to work then  as some have stated,  then Verizon needs to better inform users of that fact.

Get your act together Verizon!  Your looking a bit third class.

frankzumo
Enthusiast - Level 2

BlueMooney wrote:

I updated my thunderbolt and in the 36hrs since, i have "noticed" it rebooting itself 3 times.  It did not do this before the update!.

As for the cell tower theory, it would be a  bug on the phone anyway.  The phone should not, and let me repeat myself, the phone should not reboot itself if the cell tower is not updated.  I am not saying that isn't the a factor, but the phone software should be able to handle the situation of an tower software not being updated without rebooting itself.

If the battery needs to be taken out for this update to work then  as some have stated,  then Verizon needs to better inform users of that fact.

Get your act together Verizon!  Your looking a bit third class.

I went to Verizon today to moan and groan about the phone and they knew what problem I had. When I talked to the customer service rep.  and I said Thunderbolt he knew the problem I was having. 

In a nut shell..........He talked to customer service while I was waiting and was told that HTC was working on the problem.

That's all I have.... But its better than nothing.

blondie576
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am one of "those" that did not know there was a problem.  I got the Thunderbolt for my first droid experience.  I really did not know I ever had a problem except for the weather widget never knowing where I was.  That was the only gripe I really had.  Two weeks ago it started working better (I did not change locations while I slept).  Got the update over the weekend and now I am back in a "home" location 150 miles from the real home. 

JimH4662
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you have trouble with the TB, on location and or it rebooting, call Tech support and report it. If it is the battery you have to work around the use because of the type of device it is. It multitask, and the iphone and others don't. It is hard to weigh usage with others unless you would have the exact same apps, usage, and locations to give you and accurate battery level. You have to call and report the problems. Verizon does not program the software/firmware. They forward the information to HTC. They are the ones that have to fix the issues. So call many times.

The location for weather is still a problem noted today with my call to Tech support. They are reporting this to HTC.

The new firmware may of helped some phones.

The rebooting may also be the update. So call and report it. I ask Verizon if they were raising hell with HTC, they said they were.

Hope this helps some out 

McShane320
Enthusiast - Level 1

ok how could that be the issue? my wife and i both have the same phone. i updated my wifes phone and mine. I have had no problems with my phone rebooting, but my wife has. and i did the down load on both phones in the same location at the same time.

AZSALUKI
Legend

i skipped the update all together! they appear to have pushed an update that has fixed nothing and caused many tbolts (that previously had not problems) to now have major issues. i'll wait and see if they will possibly push another update soon, and hope that it fixes the lag on the gps locking in (as that's really my only complaint.....it takes about 30 seconds to lock on when i use google nav).