Problems with HTC Thunderbolt
stano269

Hi,

I've recently started having problems with receiving text messages. It works great for a while, but then it randomly stops receiving messages. I can send them just fine. I can reboot the phone and get all the messages, but this is not an efficient solution for this problem. Also, there's no way to tell if this is going on until somebody says "didn't you get my text?"

Also, my 4G doesn't work. I figured I was just in 4G dead zones all the time, and I wasn't really too worried about it, because 3G works fine. So, I didn't really think about it until today, when one of my employees came in to work with his new 4G Razr.  Sure enough, he had 4G signal, while my Thunderbolt did not. Either my phone's radio isn't working correctly (if at all) or Verizon cut my 4G since I was grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan. I hope this isn't the case. And before I get all the replies telling me to try the *#*#4636#*#* thing, I've tried this and all I get is 1x in LTE Mode, and only 3G in Auto.

It's sort of a toss up between these being phone or network problems, but I'm inclined to believe that it is my phone. And I'm not even going to go into all the other problems I've had in the past with this phone, and I haven't even had it for a year.

Sincerely,

Disgruntled Customer

0 Likes
Re: Problems with HTC Thunderbolt
danod2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I feel your pain, its the phone. U have been around and around with VZW service, no help. They sent me a refurbished phone and does the same as old.... Good luck

0 Likes
budone
Legend

4G is not cut off due to unlimited plan.

To me, it sounds like a bad 4G radio if another 4G device next to yours gets a 4G signal. What city are you in???

Also no need for the *#*# and all that to change settings. MENU>SETTINGS>WIRELESS & NETWORKS>MOBILE NETWORKS>NETWORK MODE

Or just download, LTE ON/OFF.

0 Likes
stano269

This was in Shrewsbury, MA, which neighbors Worcester, MA.

I did consider a bad 4G radio, which would fall under "phone problem". I assume the only way to fix this would be to get a new phone.

Thanks for the shortcut to the Network Mode, but the Testing menu actually has more specific options for network modes rather than just on/off.

Maybe this info can help someone diagnose my problem:

CDMA auto (PRL): -90 dBm 3G

CDMA only: -92 dBm 1X

EvDo only: -120 dBm 3G

CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto: -120 dBm 3G

LTE mode: -84 dBm 1X (does this mean that the LTE radio is working, just not connecting to the tower?)

Is it possible that there's some setting/option checked off somewhere that would make this happen?

0 Likes
budone
Legend

The on/off app and the MENU/SETTINGS takes you to the same screen that the other does to choose which service you want.

Looking at what you posted all looks good.

What app are you using to get your signal strengths

Do you know if eHRPD is enabled?

Try placing the TB in Safe Mode to see what happens.

Safe Mode - Thunderbolt™ by HTC

0 Likes
stano269

I'm not sure how you're seeing the same screen with that shortcut. The only options I have under "Network Mode" are LTE/CDMA and CDMA only. Maybe because I use Go Launcher?

Only having 1X in LTE Mode looks good? I thought this was 4G...

Signal strengths came from the *#*#4636#*#* Testing menu.

I'm in rev. A

0 Likes
budone
Legend

stano269 wrote:

I'm not sure how you're seeing the same screen with that shortcut. The only options I have under "Network Mode" are LTE/CDMA and CDMA only. Maybe because I use Go Launcher?

Only having 1X in LTE Mode looks good? I thought this was 4G...

Signal strengths came from the *#*#4636#*#* Testing menu.

I'm in rev. A

You are correct on the toggle in Network Mode.

I do not see any option to see signal strengths in test mode. I have:

• Phone Info
  • Battery Info
  • Usage Statistics
  • WiFi Info

Try switching from Rev A to eHRPD and see if that helps.

0 Likes
stano269

The signal strengths are under Phone Info.

Switched to eHRPD and I'm still getting 1X in LTE Mode.

0 Likes
budone
Legend

GOT IT. You checked the service strength for each setting.

Do you get 4G anywhere else????  I don't have 4G service here to see what it should state.

0 Likes
stano269

Actually, I forgot to commit modifications.

LTE Mode: no signal.

CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto: 1X -85

EvDo only: no signal

CDMA only: no signal

CDMA auto (PRL): no signal

0 Likes