Part of screen is dead
boundlesswater
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello community,

Spontaneously, several keys on the touchscreen keyboard stopped working when in portrait mode. Naturally I just typed the rest of my message in landscape.  I thought it might have just been the keyboard I was using(Swiftkey X), so I went back to the default keyboard and they still didn't work.  After playing with that specific spot on the screen, I've come to the conclusion that it's dead.  If I want to use the period, N, J, U and I keys, I have to rotate my phone.  Many other apps don't work on that spot as well, such as Temple Run.  Even flipping through homescreens it glitches when I go over that spot.

What should I do about this? This is my third refurbished thunderbolt and am sick of these "certified like new" devices.

0 Likes
Re: Part of screen is dead
steven8515

Did you ever find a solution or did device have to be replaced? I just started experiencing the same issue. The whole right edge does not respond to touch.

0 Likes
amlane04

I have a section in the middle of my screen that does the same thing.

0 Likes
Thunder-Bolt

Same thing happened to me and I called customer service. They had me try a few things including a factory reset to no avail.  They shipped me out a replacement refurb with no issues.  I've read other people with the same issue.  I never dropped mine and always kept it in a case.  I did notice that the glass was starting to come loose in the upper right corner. You could pull it away with your fingernail.  The refurb is workin like a champ though.

0 Likes
motomikeb

I have the same issue with my Thunderbolt. Only had for a few days, worked fine. After the ICS update (might be coincidence or not?) it was working fine for 24 hours or so then all of a sudden I lost the ability to type ANY letters or keys in the middle row of the portrait keyboard mode. It would either give you the top or bottom row key adjacent. Tried everything from 3rd party keyboard apps to calibration to full factory resets with data wipe. Worked for 24 hours after factory reset then stopped working again... I'm stumped and after 2 days of searching for a solution that actually works - I am returning it and getting an HTC X One.

0 Likes