My HTC Rhyme keeps shutting off randomly
lvalley

I have been told it might be a battery issue. However since the HTC Rhyme comes with an irremovable battery, then I can't just buy a new one.

So Firstly, does anyone know if there is any other reason why my phone keeps shutting off?

Secondly, does anyone know if I can replace the HTC Rhyme battery, and how much would that be?

Thanks-

0 Likes
Re: My HTC Rhyme keeps shutting off randomly
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ivalley, I use my phone all day to keep in touch with family and friends so I definitely understand the importance of having a working phone at all times. I can understand how frustrating and inconvenient this must be for you but there’s no need to worry because I’m here to help!

I’ve researched your concern and did not find it to be a reported known issue. How long have you had this problem? Do you notice it rebooting when accessing certain functions or apps? Is the phone fully charging? Since the battery is not removable it cannot be replaced.

Let’s try running the phone in Safe Mode http://bit.ly/yAHjEJ for a while and see if the rebooting stops. It could be a 3rd party app you downloaded that is causing the issue. If this is the cause then you will have to uninstall all 3rd party apps and reinstall them one at a time to determine which one is causing the issue.

Keep me posted if you need further assistance.

John B
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
mtlew

Mine had been doing that in the last few months and finally wouldn't come on at all. It was replaced with a new one that I'm now having trouble activating.

0 Likes
vmariotti08

I had the same exact problem last night.  My phone shut off about three times, and then managed to stay on the rest of the night (as far as I know).  When I got up this morning, it was in good working order, until about 12:30, when it shut off and wouldn't turn back on.  I went to Verizon today and the person who helped me said the phone was corrupt/had a glitch.  They explained that it could happen for a number of reasons, but was not likely due to anything I downloaded (including apps, documents, etc.); and that, there's really no telling how, why, or how to avoid it from happening.  So, with that, I requested to have a certified pre-owned HTC Rhyme overnighted to me.  Shipping cost about $13, so if your phone is having this issue continually, I would suggest taking this route. If you're not in a rush, they ship in 3-5 business days for free.  I really feel like I shouldn't have had to pay for shipping since the issue with the phone wasn't my fault and, considering what I pay every month to have it, I shouldn't have to worry about going a day without my phone.  So, if you decide to get a replacement, I would suggest trying to persuade them to ship it free... if you can.  (I wish I had done it... didn't think about it until I got home).  Other than that, just be on the look out for your power button to glitch/not turn off the screen when you want it to/restart on it's own.  Those were the three main things that happened to me before it completely stopped working.

0 Likes
vmariotti08

I removed a number of my applications prior to my phone shutting off completely.  This did not seem to help at all.  The applications I didn't take off were common applications that I have had since I purchased my phone a year ago.  Could they still have an impact on the phone?

0 Likes
tammyspencedr63

Interesting because here lately I have been having issues with it not

wanting to restart when I try and restart it.So your basically telling me

that I should go in and ask for a refurbished HTC Ryme? Why does the

refurbished 1 work and the new one's don't? Also does what I have on my

phone now automatically go to my other phone if I get a refurbished 1? I

just paid my first bill at 328.00 I think they owe me a working phone. So

thank you for the reply I thought I was going crazy and that it had to be

something I did. Now I know I can go in there with some gunfire so to

speak. Have a wonderful Holiday weekend.

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 1:18 AM, vmariotti08

0 Likes
vmariotti08

Well, the refurbished ones are "supposed to have the kinks worked out".  I got my refurbished phone yesterday, and it's been working great... but it's only been a day.  If you've only had your phone for a month and you're having issues with it, Verizon should definitely do something about it.  Usually if you purchase a phone and don't like it, I think you have like 30 days to swap it out for a completely different phone.  If you're still within that time frame, you might be able to get something completely different.  But, if you like the Rhyme, you can get the refurbished one.  Also, you can try a hard reset on your phone to see if that clears any glitches you may have.  If you choose to do the hard reset or get a refurbished phone, you will lose all of your applications and things that have been downloaded to your phone (unless they have been saved to your SD card).  If you get a refurbished phone, you can pop the SD card out of the phone you have now, and put it into the one they send you.  You should still have all of your pictures, videos, music, etc. that would have been saved to your SD card.  All you have to do is make sure you back up your contacts (with back up assistant, for example), and then re-download your applications and re-sync your phone.  Have a great holiday!

0 Likes
aleary9

hey i had the same problem and soft reset it or do a hard reset if dont have insurance on ur phone or a free replacement cause hard reset wipes the phone but the soft reset dose not

0 Likes
Leamon

Hi.

I'm having the same problem.  Twice mine has shut off for no reason, and wouldn't come back on.  I did the hold down on the power button and volume button at the same time.  This forced me to factory reset the phone, twice now.  When I have to do this I lose all my apps and have to put them all back on my phone.  Luckily my contacts are backed up, but this is very frustrating, because I also have to reset all my pages on the phone to look the way I want with the widgets and apps I want to easily access.  What is causing this issue?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Leamon!
I can imagine this has become very frustrating!  I want to help find the cause and resolve the problem for you!  Seeing that you have reinstalled all of your previous apps after resetting the device twice, it may be application related.  Have you installed any type of antivirus, data or battery saver applications?  If so, please uninstall http://bit.ly/WK146N and retest.  Let me know how this works out for you.  Thanks!

AnthonyTa_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes