MAYBE an answer to Thunderbolt issues with 4G ?
donc13

I posted this in another thread, but it might be interesting in it's own thread:

It IS a problem, but NOT every Thunderbolt has this issue.    Mine did.   It was 100% stock, not rooted or anything.   After the update, it started rebooting on its own.   I tried the remove battery trick, didn't help.   Removed new applications since the update, didn't help.    Did the factory data reset....and it's been perfect since relative to reboots.

I do still get the phone showing 4G service but no data connect, and no fall back to 3G until I get out of the 4G area.    I may have found a fix for that too...  Hasn't been long enought to really test this out...but using the suggested ##778  (EPST edit mode) and I set the Preferred Mode to CDMA HDR and the Preferred Mode (9k) to HDR LTE mode.    Prefered had been at CDMA and preferred 9K had been at LTE only.

For the rest of yesterday....that seem to help A LOT.    But once I left work, I'm out of the 4G area, so hard to tell if it really helped or if it was just a quirk.    3G is fine, as it always has been.

As usual, your mileage may vary, don't forget to COMMIT the modfications and always...ALWAYS write down what the original settings are before you change anything!    

0 Likes
Re: MAYBE an answer to Thunderbolt issues with 4G ?
vx1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Holy cow. This is flippin' scary. I'm at work and just made the changes you suggested. This thing has a stable 2 bars of 4G inside the building in my office. It seems to be real too, because web pages load quickly and email works every time. As a point of comparison, just 10 minutes ago before the config change, I was getting the normal random 3G/1X shuffles and complete dropouts, and never got a 4G connection in here. I will have to keep an eye on this to see if it holds, but this is the only thing the has made any sort of difference so far. Fingers crossed!

BTW, how did you know about this?

0 Likes
Re: MAYBE an answer to Thunderbolt issues with 4G ?
donc13

vx1 wrote:

Holy cow. This is flippin' scary. I'm at work and just made the changes you suggested. This thing has a stable 2 bars of 4G inside the building in my office. It seems to be real too, because web pages load quickly and email works every time. As a point of comparison, just 10 minutes ago before the config change, I was getting the normal random 3G/1X shuffles and complete dropouts, and never got a 4G connection in here. I will have to keep an eye on this to see if it holds, but this is the only thing the has made any sort of difference so far. Fingers crossed!

BTW, how did you know about this?

I didn't "know" about it, just made sense to me to try it.  

It may have been the reboot of the phone that made the difference.   I do know if you've got crummy connections, rebooting does seem to help.    But hopefully, this change makes things a bit better.

So far, it is 'better' but not "good' with my phone, but I'm in a fringe area for 4G.   

Oh yea...the bars you see for reception are for phone, not data (at least that's my understanding), especially for 4G since it uses a totally different radio in the phone for 4G reception.

0 Likes