Kick stand design flaw
Blunderstorm

Who is the Einstein that designed the kickstand for Thunderstorm? They designed the kickstand so the powe rport is on the bottom. Would it not make more sense to flip it the other way so you can power/charge the phone while watching TV/videos that suck battery life? HELLOOO

0 Likes
Re: Kick stand design flaw
Tidbits
Legend

It's a catch 22.  The thinner a device is the less room there is.  If they flipped the kickstand then how will you adjust the volume?

I believe you would have to "buy" the dock in order to charge view and adjust the volume.  So I would assume to you it's a design flaw, but to HTC it works as intended :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

right.....if they put it anywhere else, then you'd have people complaining that they can't "dock" it in anything and use it. the kickstand is a nice little feature, but if you're going to watch movies or do anything at length, most people will want a docking unit (which is "supposed" to be available next month???). same is true with a true car mount or dock. it's the most logical place, even though it has some drawbacks. at least this kickstand can hold it up in portrait mode (the EVO can't) if you want. 

0 Likes
androidburn

- At $60, there isn't going to be a large market for the dock. 

- The kickstand should have been reversed or the location of volume/power. Once you set the volume, it should be fine to watch. However not being able to watch on the road (it is "mobile") and charge was an absurd error. Nobody carries the dock with them.

- The speaker grill shouldn't have been below the kickstand. Looks like the work of the same genius designer.

There were many design blunders on this phone. Someone's incompetent relatives designed a phone that had potential to be great.

0 Likes
dimap
Contributor - Level 1

Yep, it's a doozy of a design gooof, but this whole phone looks like a total Rush Job to get something working on LTE quickly.  Actually all you have to do is perch the thing on a book to raise the port side off the desk, and then you have access to the charging port.

Personally as much as I like the big scrreen for video and browsing, I'm waiting on something a little smaller on the order of 3.8-4.1 inches.

0 Likes
random64
Contributor - Level 2

$60 for a dock?  That is very disappointing, considering the following:  The "dock" simply needs to be a thin piece of plastic with one embedded "female" micro-USB and one embedded "male" micro-USB connector.

The plastic only needs to be big enough to encase the connectors, because it need serve only as a footing to re-direct the connector (the kickstand could still be used).

How much could such a thing cost to make -- maybe $2 (not including the plastics tooling)?  It seems like a no-brainer product for "Rockefish", "Body Glove" or any of those accessory mfgs.

Otherwise, I really like the kickstand -- just need a cheap "dock" accessory to get the full benefit.  But I understand that it's been a long-standing scam in the cell phone business to gouge customers on accessories.

0 Likes