In-call volume is WAAYY too LOUD!
idcastandblast

I have an HTC One (M7) and I am having a problem with the in-call volume being too loud.  Even when turned to the lowest setting, I can hold the phone 18 inches from my face and hear the conversation perfectly.  I work in an office and my cube-mate can hear my calls.

I have tried turning the call volume all the way up and then all the way done - No joy.

I have done a factory refresh and re-installed my apps - No joy.

I have confirmed the setting relating to hearing aids is off. - No joy.

I have Tried it with Batas Audio on/off - No joy.

Any other ideas.  I am extremely frustrated with all of the Google searching that I have done to address this.  Has anyone else seen this and solved it?

0 Likes
Re: In-call volume is WAAYY too LOUD!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

idcastandblast we'll pinpoint the issue and find the best option! Has the volume always been like this or did this recently start?

AshleyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
idcastandblast

Yes.  The phone was a new replacement from Assurion.  I complained to them, and they promptly sent me another new phone.  I activated the phone and tried a call, still too loud.  Then, I upgraded to the latest Sense 6.0 and tried another call, which is still too loud.

0 Likes
SuzyQ
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the speakerphone on?

0 Likes
Android_Optimizer
Contributor - Level 2

A few people with in call volume problems have mentioned that they had to hold their phones away from them while adjusting in call volume (it didn't change when next to their ears. It may be related to the automatic pickup/answer call feature that occurs if you have it enable to answer a call when you bring it to your ear). After making a call you can try holding it away from you while adjusting.

------

The below applies to the m8 Harmon/Kardon edition and was a recommended solution for in-call volume issues for that phone, but may work on your m7 phone too.

1. Perform a soft reset.

A soft reset restarts your phone and does not erase any of your content or data.

1. Press and hold the Power key and Volume Up key for 10 seconds.
    2. Your HTC One® M8 Harman/Kardon® edition
        restarts.

------

You can access a HTC diagonstics menu by typing the following into your phone when at a dialing screen:

*#*#3424#*#*

The first test in the audio test option plays from the in call speaker.

0 Likes
idcastandblast

Nope, the speaker phone is not turned on.

I did the soft reboot as suggested and there was no change.

At this point, I have had to put tape over 80% of my ear piece speaker to make it usable.  I don't want to send this back for ANOTHER replacement phone, but it is not worth keeping this phone.  I have read that people are able to override the sound file if it is rooted, but I don't want to void any warranty or cause problems with any future upgrades to the Android OS.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
JaysonE

Go to Settings > Call > uncheck Hearing Aid

Hope that helps

0 Likes