If you want ICS update, may want to read..
Wildman
Legend

I was browsing sites and came across a post that kind of explained what devices may and may not see the Ice Cream Sandwich update...  Anyone curious abd would like to read the post check it out at http://www.androidcentral.com/will-my-phone-get-ice-cream-sandwich, all readers may notice something about the devices listed...

Wont say yet, willl allow users to read and see if they catch a pattern and a few points...  Check it out and voice your thoughts...

0 Likes
Re: If you want ICS update, may want to read..
Tidbits
Legend

I say almost all devices will get it in one way or another.

I believe most devices already no longer sold or End of Life will NOT get it unless it's a top seller, and even then it's up for grabs.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3
Did you catch the bloatware freeze tool on ICS? My guess is VZW will drag feet on pushing an update with broken bloatware apps.
0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

dabubbakin wrote:
Did you catch the bloatware freeze tool on ICS? My guess is VZW will drag feet on pushing an update with broken bloatware apps.
I think that feature was one of my favorite things I heard about ICS. I can think of a few applications that I use and would rather have those load into the memory then certain applications that I have never used or even opened.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

I have to admit that the update to that appears to a nice change but the one thing I am noticing is that Google was reporting that ICS required a dual core processor but a number of forums keeps posting that it is suppose to be compatible with anny device that can run 2.3 but this information seems to be a contradiction... 

I have looked over the interface and unlesss they increased the optimazation of the OS I can not see the os running on a single core device and also on devices with limited internal storage space.

I hope we do see it on the TB but with the improved graphical interface I cant see this running well on the less powerful devices.  Know what time it is???  :smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

Wildman wrote:

I have to admit that the update to that appears to a nice change but the one thing I am noticing is that Google was reporting that ICS required a dual core processor but a number of forums keeps posting that it is suppose to be compatible with anny device that can run 2.3 but this information seems to be a contradiction... 

I have looked over the interface and unlesss they increased the optimazation of the OS I can not see the os running on a single core device and also on devices with limited internal storage space.

That was a rumor early on when ICS was in it's initial development stages but googled dubunked that.  While it is optimized for dual core, it will run fine on a single core device but you just may not see all the benefits of the added hardware acceleration.  The Nexus S is single core and will be getting the update granted that is a stock Android phone with no 3rd party UI. It's taken over 7 months for HTC to work on Gingerbread so I'd suspect it'd probably be Spring or maybe early summer before the Thunderbolt was upgraded to 4.0 if HTC and Verizon decide they want to update.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

also remember that Sense 3.0 was "supposed" to need a dual core to run well, and we know that's not the case.

0 Likes
dabubbakin
Contributor - Level 3

With the software update speeds by HTC and VZW on this device do you really think ICS will be released for the Thunderbolt? I could be wrong, I'll try to optimistic, but I have my doubts. I would say once we get a stable OTA Gingerbread update that can be backed up you may as well put ICS on the phone yourself when some decent roms get released. These developers can work some serious magic. 

0 Likes
TBoltOwner
Contributor - Level 1

I can't believe that it takes so long for these updates to roll out to the masses.  Yes, I know that there are many different smartphone models, but come on people.  Does HTC have only 3 programmers working 2-hour days on these updates?  I doubt it....there have got to be some smart people on these projects...can't understand why the Thunderbolt has been such a fail-in-motion smartphone.

0 Likes
Tidbits
Legend

TBoltOwner wrote:

I can't believe that it takes so long for these updates to roll out to the masses.  Yes, I know that there are many different smartphone models, but come on people.  Does HTC have only 3 programmers working 2-hour days on these updates?  I doubt it....there have got to be some smart people on these projects...can't understand why the Thunderbolt has been such a fail-in-motion smartphone.

No one will get it within 3 months of it coming out other than what Google developer devices.  The Source code will not be released until sometime december.  If you know anything about coding it takes a lot more than a month to bring out an update especially when there are MAJOR changes to the framework, and Kernel.  There's more to it than just porting it over like the "root" community does.  Cyanogen for example has expressed they WILL NOT work without source.  It'll take at least a month for Google to release the ICS source before anyone can do anything with it.  Galaxy Nexus comes out in November, and sometime a month after expect the source.  From there like with ANY company out there...  Their best sellers will get the update first and everyone else will wait in line.
0 Likes