Highlighted

I won't get fooled again...

Member
Had a DroidX. Great battery, excellent signal, everything on and about the phone worked. Loved Verizon and spent more time and money in my local Verizon store than my wife did shopping for the kids at Wal Mart. Got unlimited data and enjoyed it so much I signed up my wife and got her a data plan, too.
Bought into the hype about 4G and couldn't wait for the Thunderbolt to arrive with the blazing fast speeds. Was first in line the day the phone arrived and extended my contract (again) for the latest and greatest. Like many of you, I've spent this past year waiting. Waiting for a fix, waiting for an update or on hold waiting for a Customer Service Rep...
The Thunderbolt I own has never had a consistent 4G signal and I have resigned myself to the fact, it never will. So now I have a 3G phone that is unbelievably unreliable and can barley go a full day with a full charge. But, it does have a "kickstand..."
So here we go again, the latest and greatest are about to arrive - the "Razor" and the "Nexus." The hype has again begun and I watch those commercials on TV wondering if I should spend $299 and extend my contract for another two years. Verizon promises blazingly fast data on their awesome 4G network, but isn't that what I signed up for already?
I think I'll be better off taking the $299 and buying out my contract, heading to Wal Mart on my wife's next shopping spree and buying a "burn phone..." At least I'll know what I'm getting.
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: I won't get fooled again...

Novice
This has nothing to do with you leaving Verizon but when I first got my bolt I got maybe 4 hours before needing to plug it in. Now after the latest update I can get over 24. The other day it was unplugged for 25 hours and I still had 22% battery left I believeit was. I do not use 4g very much unless I'm downloading something large but Bluetooth is on all of the time and I listen to music at least 8 to 10 hours through Bluetooth. You may want to go through your settings and possibly up the amount of time between syncing different accounts and apps. That is if you keep your phone. Next time I upgrade I am going to wait till the phone I get is out for a while before buying though....
0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: I won't get fooled again...

Sr. Leader

If you think the TB has issues you shouldn't even consider the Razr because the concept of a 4G device with a dual core and high resolution screen sounds like a dream but with a non-removable battery I do not see a good outcome.  I see that device having issues from the gate.

 

Now as for the Thunderbolt I am happy with my device because going in I did not expect the battery life being great but in my opinion the device isnt as vad as it has been imaged to be be, basically the battery life is a bit light but nothing a extended battery did not solve and as for data the biggest issue that I have had is when using Mobile Hotspot because it goes dorment from time to time but with the 4G fired up in my area finally I am going through my testing stages again and it seems to help....  Only time will tell...

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: I won't get fooled again...

Sr. Leader

Wildman wrote:

If you think the TB has issues you shouldn't even consider the Razr because the concept of a 4G device with a dual core and high resolution screen sounds like a dream but with a non-removable battery I do not see a good outcome.  I see that device having issues from the gate.


Non removable battery??? UGH How much juice it have?

 

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: I won't get fooled again...

Sr. Leader

Checked out a number of reviews but no one has gave the specifics for the battery but due to the thinness I do not see a high capacity battery and the iphone design concept is really up in the air for me...

 

http://youtu.be/rl0a7aXFKNg or http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/07/motorola-droid-razr-review/

 

 

Also you can see the first reported Screen Issue.....http://youtu.be/rl0a7aXFKNg , Not good out the box...

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: I won't get fooled again...

Expert

budone wrote:

Wildman wrote:

If you think the TB has issues you shouldn't even consider the Razr because the concept of a 4G device with a dual core and high resolution screen sounds like a dream but with a non-removable battery I do not see a good outcome.  I see that device having issues from the gate.


Non removable battery??? UGH How much juice it have?

 


According to the specs, it is a 1780 mAh.

 

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-droid-razr-specs

 

http://news.verizonwireless.com/news/2011/10/pr2011-10-18.html

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: I won't get fooled again...

Sr. Leader

Thanks Ann, I totally missed that article, hope the extra juice helps but I still think the battery situation is a bad design flaw...  I had to replace my Droid X battery because of bad cells but with the RAZR you would have to replace the phone... 

 

Rut I have to say the thinnest is nice but the wideness may be a issue with any user with small hands...  NOT me of course.. :smileyhappy:

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: I won't get fooled again...

Sr. Leader

That would get you through a day with a regular 4g phone. But a dual processor and all..... I see a train wreck coming.

 

Have a great day Ann154, Wildman and everyone else.....

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: I won't get fooled again...

Novice

It always amazes me that people complain about battery life.

 

Seriously...How long do you expect a battery powering this amount of tech to last?

 

You are basically carrying around a mini laptop computer (how long do laptop batteries last?)

 

Granted, I understand the need for as much battery life as possible, but realistically, battery technology limits useful battery life.

 

Lastest usable battery technology is Lithium Polymer batteries, they offer the most amount of battery life for the amount of space they use. 

 

Some here are probably too young to remember but when cell phones first came out, you basically had to carry around a small motorcycle battery to power them (Nickel Cadmium).

 

Sure you can get more battery life...just use a bigger battery...ala extended batteries...but then people complain about the "bulk" of the phone and that's it fugly.

 

People want thinner, faster, all the bells and whistles...problem is...battery technology limits what can be done.  Electric cars were invented a long time ago, but it was not until recent battery technology was developed that hybird cars even became viable.

 

A non removable battery allows manufacturers to put more power in a confined space (Iphones, new razr) and since most people are around some type of power source (i.e. computer, car lighter plug, wall outlet), you can keep them pretty well charged up.  However, if you are in some type of situation where you are not around a power source, then a non removable battery type phone is probably not your best bet unless you have some way to charge the phone externally (i.e solar charger).

 

Anyways, off my soap box now, just my two cents.  Once someone invents a fusion power source the size of a nickel, all your worries will be gone... but then again, maybe a battery lasting 100 years won't be long enough then????

0 Likes
Highlighted

Re: I won't get fooled again...

Sr. Leader

rickhansen wrote:
Had a DroidX. Great battery, excellent signal, everything on and about the phone worked. Loved Verizon and spent more time and money in my local Verizon store than my wife did shopping for the kids at Wal Mart. Got unlimited data and enjoyed it so much I signed up my wife and got her a data plan, too.
Bought into the hype about 4G and couldn't wait for the Thunderbolt to arrive with the blazing fast speeds. Was first in line the day the phone arrived and extended my contract (again) for the latest and greatest. Like many of you, I've spent this past year waiting. Waiting for a fix, waiting for an update or on hold waiting for a Customer Service Rep...
The Thunderbolt I own has never had a consistent 4G signal and I have resigned myself to the fact, it never will. So now I have a 3G phone that is unbelievably unreliable and can barley go a full day with a full charge. But, it does have a "kickstand..."
So here we go again, the latest and greatest are about to arrive - the "Razor" and the "Nexus." The hype has again begun and I watch those commercials on TV wondering if I should spend $299 and extend my contract for another two years. Verizon promises blazingly fast data on their awesome 4G network, but isn't that what I signed up for already?
I think I'll be better off taking the $299 and buying out my contract, heading to Wal Mart on my wife's next shopping spree and buying a "burn phone..." At least I'll know what I'm getting.

why wonder if you should spend $299? have you ever considered just waiting for a month or so, before you buy the device? maybe check out some real life reviews of the device? i'm still trying to figure out how you got, and are going to get upgrade pricing so often? the X launched in july of 2010....the tbolt in april of 2011 ....and here it is 8 months later and you're thinking of an upgrade????? what am i missing here?

 

for the record, my LTE coverage is fantastic. i often don't use it as it does drain the battery FAST. i do like the option though and turn it on when i'm downloading updates or large files. we will get better battery life when we accept HUGE devices. the problem is that people want larger screens and better specs, while also wanting a smaller device. look at the size of batteries in laptops and tablets......and we expect our handheld device to get the same or more life out of them??? 

 

even the iphone's battery life has suffered since the 4s added so many "android like" features. if you want a battery that will last for days, then a simple non smart phone is what you need. my son has the lg octane. he texts CONSTANTLY and talks on it often. it lasts 2-3 days easily on one charge.

0 Likes