Re: Hey Verizon I'm calling you out!
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
Now there don't want to disappoint so there not wanting to tell.
0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

ComputerNerd wrote:

I ended up calling Verizon tech support and telling them about all the problems not just I have had but how many others have had to, I told the lady if you don't believe me then go look on your forum.  She actually didn't believe so she went and looked and said well....so how may I help you sir? and I said you could start by giving me an answer to the date of the update please.  She looked and just said it was approved by Verizon on April 29th.  According to Verizon tech's, Verizon has the software and is holding out on us.  She didn't offer me a time frame or anything to go off of and I severely wish she did.  I have a feeling that it might just be coming on the 15th or somewhere around then because I would imagine Verizon would have to update the Thunderbolt to be able to make the hotspot so people will have to pay for it.  I bet that it why Verizon is holding onto the update, they are adding some stuff to it or making it so we get free tethering or something.  Free tethering would be nice even though I don't use it that often.

The 29th is when verizon aproved the update and 5/5 was when they released the info that we would start seeing it. I also speculate that the update will come on or near the 15th for the same reason that they will be taking something away or adding things we don't want.

http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-and-att-blocking-tethering-apps-android-market

0 Likes
vx1
Enthusiast - Level 2

That actually makes a lot of sense. At the rate these updates are pushed, it probably would have overlapped the push to expire the Hotspot app on the device. Although I really doubt that anybody will get Hotspot for free from Verizon "nickel and dime ya" Wireless, the push may indeed be started on the 15th and we will undoubtedly hear about it *after* it starts to prevent any more embarrassing announcements..

0 Likes
gina7289
Contributor - Level 2
It's out now I downloaded it. Thank u Verizon.
0 Likes
Re: Hey Verizon I'm calling out!
Not applicable

The updates were being pushed out last week.  There were problems with it.  We stopped it immediately until HTC/Google were able to get everything squared away.  Once the problems were fixed with the software update, we began rolling it out again in stages. Available yesterday/today:  http://support.vzw.com/system_update/thunderbolt.html.  It is being pushed out in batches. You can update your phone by going under settings>software updates> check new.  

These updates are processed in batches based off of your MEID number.  If it says that no updates are available and you still have the old software, that means your MEID number has not been processed yet.  Check again over the next couple days.  

I hope that answers your question. 

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

MikeS_VZW wrote:

The updates were being pushed out last week.  There were problems with it.  We stopped it immediately until HTC/Google were able to get everything squared away.  Once the problems were fixed with the software update, we began rolling it out again in stages. Available yesterday/today:  http://support.vzw.com/system_update/thunderbolt.html.  It is being pushed out in batches. You can update your phone by going under settings>software updates> check new.  

These updates are processed in batches based off of your MEID number.  If it says that no updates are available and you still have the old software, that means your MEID number has not been processed yet.  Check again over the next couple days.  

I hope that answers your question. 

Is there any reason why my MEID # would make my Tbolt say ERROR when I check for updates when on 3G or 4G but when I switched to 1X BOOM! update is there and ready to download? Also I'm sending back the replacement device I just got last night due to it having cosmtic and internal issues so will my next replacement have the update on it already or am I going to have to switch that 4G Tbolt to 1X to get the update also? 

0 Likes
GreenRobot
Contributor - Level 3

GreenRobot wrote:

Nothing yet Big Red? You must be checking with your developers and legal dept. to see if you can answer me. I'll be here with my crippled Thunderbolt waiting so when get a chance thanks. 

LOL! VZW marked this as solved with ^^^ that as the solution. It's like VZW said yup thats it legal won't let us say anything hope you learn to like your Thunderbolt cause your stuck with it  😄 touche VZW touche!

0 Likes
vargo911

vargo911 wrote:

Don't call me a fan boy... but I have no problems with my TB. Other then my battery going dead faster then most phone I had, But I knew this before I got into it. When we had the 3G/4G outage, I found the quick solution by going to forums like this and others. The outage was a pain in the butt for about 36mins. till I found the solution and then I was happy. No different then finding issue with my MacPro problems. I'm sure that every company releases a product your going to have bugs in a few of them. I would rather have them push the update back and have a better software update then pushing one now and it being crappy.

thanks

" A race for quality there is no finish line" 

Are you in a 4G are? I'm curious but it really doesn't have to do with much. I am dead center of a 4G area and I get constant no connection and both HTC and VZW agree it's a hand off issue with the device. I'm not asking for an update that will turn the device into bugless perfection I just want them to start by working on what is probably the biggest issue with the device. The Thunderbolt was in the hands of VZW employees well before launch and we all know the launch was delayed due to some sort of issue. So my guess is since I have noticed this problem since day 2 with the device is that they knew it had issues and tried to fix it before they went ahead and decided to release so they didn't look to bad after already advertising their superior device is coming. Now the outage, yes you and many others were able to look up on forums on how to lock your Thunderbolt to 3G or whatever it is you did to get it to work but what about those that don't go on forums and leave their faith in the device, its manufacture, and their service provider to correct the issue. Mine on the hand sat on 1X because I wanted to know when my 4G would be back up and there wasn't an issue with 3G. As per VZW the 4G network had an issue and the thunderbolt was the only device effected because it couldn't recognize that 4G was unavailable and switch to 3G only on it's own. I agree I would rather receive a software update that works and is not crappy but here we are 5 days after the proposed update was going to roll out and then scrapped for having issues. If a big wireless manufacture and provider have had all this time to recognize and develop an update only to find it's better to delay it or scrap it ( as htc put it ) that tells me there is more to the story either there are hardware issues that they are havening a hard time overcoming with software or they're are trying to integrate bloatware and disconnect the free hotspot and update to correct issues all at the same time and are delaying to benefit VZW.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

I live in a 3G area and Work in a 4G area. I have no problems. If I had the problems you had, I would asked for a defective phone replacement.  I remember  I had to exchange my HTC Touch Pro 3 times till VZW  got me HTC Touch Pro 2  that worked perfect. I have to admit I was very upset. but in the end it paid off very well. I LOVED MY TP2!!!. But when it comes to VZW bloatware and VZW's data plans or hotspot charges etc...., I really could care less but that's just me. And for the people who wouldn't know to check VZW  forums or others for help. I find it very funny and hard to believe  that people in this time of age who own smartphones have no clue how to use a computer???... GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND!!  I do feel bad that you are going threw all this problems. If I was rich I would send you my Thunderbolt and buy another one.

0 Likes
JimH4662
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well I just did do the update. Other than me watching it download, and reboot with the update I would not have known it updated.

Still cannot get a location for an accurate weather forecast. It still says Currant Location and has a 10 degree difference in temperature difference for Weather bug, which enables, exact location settings.

I new of the battery hog characteristics before purchasing, so I cannot whine about that. But other options bother me that my first smart phone is not that smart.

0 Likes