Have a lead on the OTA update problems!
DharmaDog
Enthusiast - Level 3

FIRST, THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!... Whoever is responsible for FINALLY giving us our own discussion space!!!!

I am only going to post this here rather than try to update all the postings regarding the OTA update issues.  I hope people will find their way to it!

I experienced rapid battery drain, severe overheating & endless boot-looping after the OTA update (among other more minor problems posted in the main Android forum). I had to factory reset and have been trying to determine what the problem might be. I have had discussion with VZW & HTC about this problem.

After leaving my phone as a stock out of the box phone with the update for a week, I started adding back my Apps. Eventually I had the same problem.  I factory reset my phone and installed each App 1 at a time.

I discovered that WeatherBug Elite is causing major problems on the HTC Rezound post OTA firmware update. The HTC Rezound has 3 location services - Verizon Location Services, Standalone GPS and Google Location Services.  The default is for only the GPS and Google services to be turned on. If the WeatherBug city is set to Current Location and Verizon Location Services is turned off then the device battery will rapidly drain.  It will also SEVERELY OVERHEAT (130 degrees+) & eventually begin endless boot-looping.  At this point the phone has to be factory reset.

If Verizon Location Services are turned on then setting the city for Current Location does not cause this problem.  If you turn Verizon Location Services off after the Current Location has been set then it is OK until you change locations and it has to update. Then its back to severely overheating and eventually endless boot-looping.

This does not happen on the free version of WeatherBug.

Verizon included a new process - Verizon Location Agent in the OTA update.  This must have something to do with the problem.   All my other Apps that use a Current Location setting do not have this problem.  I suspect that there may be other older Apps with a Current Location setting that might cause this same problem. This has been causing much stress and problems for HTC, Verizon and their customers.  People have been going thru multiple phones thinking that it is a problem with the phone but it continues to happen.  HTC and Verizon have acknowledged that there is some problem with the update and they are now investigating it but really didn't have a lead on what it might be since only some customers were experiencing these problems.

I spent 14 hours diagnosing and trouble-shooting the problem all last night.  You have to put the phone to sleep & wait long enough for WiFi & the GPRS data to be turned off.  When you wake the phone & wait for 'No Service' on the lock screen to change to 'Verizon Wireless' then it will immediately start the endless uncontrollable boot-looping. It will also happen if you restart the phone.  I have done this on a factory reset phone with the OTA update installing one App at a time and WeatherBug Elite was the only one that caused the problem.  I do not know if this is true for 4G-LTE as I am not in a 4G-LTE area and keep it turned off.

I wanted to pass along this information I discovered.  I hope I am remembering all the steps. I had it doing it every time. I did more factory resets last night than you could believe.  You need to see the "No Service" on the lock screen when you wake up your phone. This has something to do with it also. I'm so tired now that I can't see straight.  I'll recheck this after I've had a nap.

Re: Have a lead on the OTA update problems!
DharmaDog
Enthusiast - Level 3

AAAGGGHHH!!  There is some other variable in this.  Something to do with the network.  I can not reproduce it today,  however I was able to do it over and over again last night.  All I know for sure is that running for a week with a factory reset vanilla phone the only thing I experienced was that the battery life was still shorter than before.  When I started reinstalling my Apps the overheating and then boot-looping happened again.  Doing a reset and intalling Apps one by one it only happened on WeatherBug Elite and did it over and over again.  My HTC Clock/Weather widget is set to current location and I also use BeWeather which is also set to current location.  It never did it once on those.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Because some people have problems with the updates and some don't, I've often wondered if it had to do with specific apps that some have on their phones and others don't. I never had any problems with my Thunderbolt updates. This one for the Rezound isn't a problem either, but I essentially have the same apps on it that I did on the Bolt. I've never cared for Weatherbug ever since they originally came out on the PC and I got buried in spam. If you haven't tried it yet, you might also try "Weather, Radar, Alerts, Quakes by Elecont software. It's the best weather app I've found and has never given me any problems. I tried BeWeather and didn't like it as well.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.Elecont.WeatherClock&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwx...

What you're doing by eliminating them one at a time is time consuming, but the best route. There may still be something wrong with the phone itself. I've never had a problem with the boot looping. Also, mine gets up to around 120 to 125 degrees if I'm charging it while using it heavily for streaming videos/movies, but I've never hit the 130's like you have. I did have the led's flash red/green at me at about 125. I also haven't had any of the other problems you seem to be having, so I can't be much help other than to let you know that there are Rezounds that don't have all of those frustrating, headache causing problems.

I've lost track in your posts, so forgive me for asking the obvious, but have you exchanged it for a CLN replacement(s) and tried new batteries? Are you still using a standard battery, or an extended? The extended batteries don't seem to be having the overheating problems that the standard batteries are, but if you have a bad phone, it may not make much difference.

Sorry about the problems and frustration

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

Got a question for you based on something I just read. May sound dumb, but when your phone is bootlooping, have you tried taking the back cover off and then tried starting it up?

0 Likes
DharmaDog
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the sympathy!  It has been incredibly frustrating and time consuming. Needless to say I'm not using WeatherBug Elite anymore and it is not even on my phone.  I'll never get my 2 bucks back but that wouldn't even come close to compensating me anyway.  WeatherBug used to be good but has really gotten outdated with a horrendous ugly user interface.  I'm a weather nut and already have Elecont.  I've been using it since my old Samsung Windows Mobile 6.5 phone.  It's good but I'm not really thrilled with the new Android user interface.  BeWeather has gorgeous animations which I like and I liked it even better when I figured out how to get to the radar and satellite info and how to add your own media.  Probably going to give MyCast another try.

I am very convinced that it is not the phone itself.  Everything was fine until the afternoon right after I got the push update.  Also if you look around I'm not the only one experiencing these problems.

I have tried a new standard battery and will probably go ahead and get an extended battery.  I already have a phone case for the extended battery so might as well.  Have not done a CLN exchange..... yet!

Message was edited by: DharmaDog I have now reinstalled all of my apps minus WeatherBug Elite.  Going to see how it goes now.  So far so good!

0 Likes
DharmaDog
Enthusiast - Level 3

No I haven't.  Just take out the battery, put it back in and put the cover back on.  Why?  Is removing the antennas supposed to make a difference with stopping the boot looping?  That seems strange.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

On another forum, I saw a thread about a fix for bootlooping. Someone had discovered that if they removed the battery cover that the bootlooping stopped.

I don't know if you have the LTE on/off, or LTE Switch app, but if not, you can type *#*#4636#*#*. Then go to phone information and see what network you're set on. Some people had somehow gotten switched to WCDMA and it was causing the bootlooping and connection problems. Maybe not your problem, but it sounded like what's happening to you, so I thought I'd ask.

Meant to say that I liked BeWeather, but one reason I liked elecont better was because animations eat my battery up.

0 Likes
pat3332
Contributor - Level 2

I think Verizon sometimes frowns on giving links to other sites and I was trying to send you a private message but this new format they have makes it a little more difficult. I finally found out I had to go to your profile and click on "follow" and you have to approve it. I'm liking this format less every time I use it. I'll try posting the link to the other discussion in case it helps you and they can delete if if they want.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1394659http://

0 Likes
zrotwandr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also have experienced overheating (entire unit front/back), battery drain, and once even endless boot-looping since the OTA update.  I love the phone and its features however these issues are very disappointing after researching specs and choosing what i thought was the perfect phone coming from a droid incredible.  The unit was warm before the update and the battery was decent at best.  However since then I have installed the battery solo widget and noticed a temperature swing from 75F to 130F at random times with light usage.  Battery drain is dependent on usage and on average I am charging unit 2 to 3 times per day.  Purchased a case and holster and the only time I use them is for work or when I go out due to the heat being generated from the Rezound unit.  Not sure if this is the design of the unit itself (heat not being adequately dissipated) or the problems your speaking of however I do not have the Weatherbug elite app.  I am getting a replacement unit in the mail tomorrow and not sure if I should just swap out the new battery it comes with or try the entire replacement unit.  My only issue is I have a new phone now and I will probably get a certified like new unit for a replacement.  I will wait and see however not totally optimistic at this point.

0 Likes
DharmaDog
Enthusiast - Level 3

My phone is currently and was previously in "CDMA auto (PRL)" mode.  I don't live in a 4G area so I mostly keep it off unless I happen to be in a 4G area and I need some speed.  I have no idea what it was when I had the boot-looping problem.  I appreciate you providing me with this important info.  Like I said earlier it seems that the problem is somehow network based.

The other reason I like BeWeather is because the data is provided by the Weather Underground and I think they are great.  There is a man with a Weather Underground reporting station 2 blocks behind me so I can check what the weather actually is at my home anytime I want.

I approved your follow request.

Message was edited by: DharmaDog I forgot to mention that now that I am closely monitoring the battery I have not noticed BeWeather to be any significant drain on the battery.  I don't stay on the animated page very long.  Just long enough to look at the weather conditions.

0 Likes