HTC Thunderbolt. Getting closer(?)
jkremis

So I've been reading online the last few days that this phone is expected to launch near the end of February. I was told in-store that it'd be no more than two weeks after they got the test model, that sales would start for the Thunderbolt. With the fact that nobody in that store has been wrong or lied to me, i can only assume that by the first week of Feb., I'll have my first smartphone.

Anyways, that's slightly beside the point. I was wondering if any info can be given about the status of 'testing' or training. What are the things to learn? I mean if you just have to learn the specs and be able to sell it, that can be done in like 3 days, at most, right? We all know the specs already, and granted the VZ workers have a LOT more info to take in with the other 10s of phones they're trying to sell, there isn't that much new info to take in with what's already out here. Learning how to activate and make the phone functional... a day, maybe two. Can we get any [insider] info on this at all? Clearly I don't know the process, and am probably partially wrong on every 'step' I laid out, but it can't be the most complicated thing ever if you've had experience with it in the past, or have any prior knowledge of what you're working with.

Getting a Release Date is probably just wishful thinking, and pretty farfetched at this point. It's just killing me that I've heard so many differing things about it. I WANT to go by what I heard in person, but I have seen nothing to back that up anywhere online, or anywhere else. There seems to be new news every day about this on every website that's worth following for the subject, but nobody is ever posting anything new. It's kind of just a circle of, "Hey we found this out about the thing someone found out about!" and it's essentially just a repost of something that was posted three days ago about the phone.

My very first phone was the Samsung Alias, and the only phone I've had sense is the Samsung Alias 2. I'm eligible for an upgrade, and have been just since this past Tuesday! Talk about lucky timing... With that luck comes a reason to be patient. But it's hard to be patient for something that appears to never moving towards you (obviously it will launch eventually, but metaphors work wonders).

My final point is that if there is ANYTHING to tell about this phone that isn't something that is already out there, or maybe that I have just missed, I would appreciate the sharing.

P.S. - Why is VZ slacking so much on the advertising? iPhone is getting treated like royalty, and although it's the iPhone and, everyone knows what that means, it's very half-**bleep** compared to the Thunderbolt, the new and still-to-be-named Samsung, and the BiONIC. That was just a little side note... no need to consider this part in a response if you plan on replying.

Here's a couple of quick links of stuff I've seen. I don't feel like digging again for the best stuff, but this is pretty much the same info in less 'sparkley' terms.

Sources:

http://androidcommunity.com/verizon-employees-begin-training-for-the-htc-thunderbolt-20110118/

http://phandroid.com/2011/01/19/verizon-marketing-plans-show-thunderbolt-xoom-materials-to-be-sent-s...

And for good measure for those who want pictures :smileyvery-happy::

http://www.gforgames.com/gadgets/news-gadgets/motorola-droid-bionic-verizon-iphone-4-htc-thunderbolt...

0 Likes
Re: HTC Thunderbolt. Getting closer(?)
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

I doubt anyone here can google better than you; except for finding other threads here that already address this.  It does look like a very good phone and should go over very well.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

http://www.htc.com/us/products/thunderbolt-verizon/?extcid=Thunderbolt-GoogleSEM&jkId=8a8ae4d62d58c6...

This is the actual htc site with the specs, etc. I didn't realize verizon was advertising the iphone? i haven't seen or heard one add (except on the website)? anyway, they won't advertise a product until it's actually available. here is just a few issues that you may want to consider:

-are you in an area with LTE coverage? it's an LTE device, but that really doesn't matter unless you are in one of the 38 markets that have LTE.

-they have yet to announce the LTE data pricing. data plans for LTE devices will either cost more, or have limits on the amount of data.

-while i think the thunderbolt looks SWEET, i was a bit disappointed that it doesn't have a dual core processor. i don't "need" one....but in a matter of months, the new devices will be dual core, so i'd rather wait until this summer.

-unitl verizon actually announces it, nobody knows when this will be available. these are like small computers and they don't just test them for a few days. the specs say it runs android 2.2. maybe htc is trying to load 2.3 to see if they could launch it with the most current version of android? 

-verizon barely advertised the incredible. they sold 150,000 units of the incredible and 150,000 of the X in the first week of their launch. estimates of the iphone range from 4-8 million units. they just are going to focus on ANYTHING but the iphone....i suspect for at least another month.

just some things to consider.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

Thanks, Azzy, my hunch is it will be about another month.  Can't wait to watch the riots.

0 Likes
firstlady09
Contributor - Level 3

Keep in mind you can sign up for email updates to receive information on the 4G phones. Click here to sign up http://network4g.verizonwireless.com/#/latest

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader
I personally like this link. Take what you will from it.

http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/21/htc-thunderbolt-will-launch-at-250-motorola-xoom-at-799/

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

So interesting development on the Thunderbolt front.  Seems that Verizon has begun training and  Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G has been mentioned.

There is functionality in the Thunderbolt that allows simultaneous voice and data while on the VZW 3G network, however, we cannot promise the experience will be one that is consistent with our brand.  As a result, do not reference this functionality as a benefit during your conversations with customers.
source- http://www.droid-life.com/2011/01/26/htc-thunderbolt-can-handle-data-and-voice-over-3g/

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

now THAT would be sweet!!!! if this really is the case, i'll stay away from stores and the iphone forum, when new iphone buyers find out that it can't do this and a droid can and demand another early early early upgrade...lol. i wanted to wait for a dual core device, but the thunderbolt is becoming VERY persuasive.

0 Likes
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

I'm just wondering what they mean by "not consistent with our brand".  If they had any faith in it working well, they'd be marketing the heck out of it and throwing it in AT&T's face.

0 Likes
steveanderson13
Contributor - Level 2

PJNC284 wrote:

I'm just wondering what they mean by "not consistent with our brand".  If they had any faith in it working well, they'd be marketing the heck out of it and throwing it in AT&T's face.

Perhaps they mean it will work like AT&T and possibly drop calls while surfing which may be an inherent problem of the chips. 

0 Likes