HTC Rhyme ring volume while in Dock
spyke562
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just got the Rhyme, everything is working great so far.  However, I notice when it is in the dock the ring volume is crazy loud.  Is there anyway to turn the ring volume down or off while in dock?  Thinks I have tried:

Put the phone on low or vibrate mode before placing the phone in dock.

Put the phone on low or vibrate mode while in dock.

Change the sound profile to vibrate before placing the phone in dock.

I would like the phone to be on the night stand in my room by the volume is way to loud.  Has anyone else come across this issue?

Thanks for any information.

Tags (3)
Re: HTC Rhyme ring volume while in Dock
AnthonyTa_VZW
Verizon Employee

Hello spyke562,

Congratulations on your new HTC Rhyme!  I would like to offer a suggestion with changing the ringer volume while the device is in dock.

There is a sound setting called "pocket mode" that you can uncheck that prevents the ringer from ringing louder when in a pocket, bag or dock.  This setting can be changed by pressing the Menu key (from the home screen) > Settings > Sound > Pocket mode (uncheck).

Please, let me know how this works out for you.

Thanks,

AnthonyTa_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
spyke562
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi AnthonyTa_VZW,

Thanks for the fast response and the information.  However, unchecking the checkbox next to "pocket mode" did not resolve the issue.  When I turn the ring volume off in the settings I still hear the dock ringing but not the phone.  When the ring volume is on I hear both the phone and the dock ringing.

I have been doing a lot of google'ing on this and I have not seen anyone else talk about this.  I just cannot see a reason to have the dock as an alarm clock next to your bed with the ring volume up so high while the phone is in the dock.

Any other information would be helpful.

Thanks again...

0 Likes
grabmywrist1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi spyke562 (and anyone else who may find this helpful)-

I was also shocked the first time my Rhyme rang while it was docked!  It's very, very loud... The sound seems to be coming from the dock itself, not the phone.  I was able to mess around with it, and find a solution that worked for me.  Here's what I did:

- With phone un-docked, go to Settings --> Wireless & networks --> Bluetooth settings

- Under "Bluetooth devices", select your dock (Mine was called "HTC CR M540")

- Note: I think your phone must be paired with the dock to continue... I docked mine at this point, and this screen stayed active, instead of switching to the landscape "dock mode" view.  If yours doesn't, I'm assuming that you should be able to navigate here again...

- When the HTC CR M540 screen loads, un-check the option for your phone audio to be picked up by the dock.  (I believe this is the second option... I don't have my dock here to check it at work.)

Basically, the dock was ringing (as if it were a Bluetooth headset, etc.) whenever the phone rang. Now only the media content from my phone (mp3's, etc.) will be pushed through to the dock.

I hope that helps!

grabmywrist1

mrskit

I just as frustrated as the rest of you and this solution looks promising. However, when I click onto the HTC CR M540 for my dock, all I get is a choice to disconnet, with an "OK" or "CANCEL" button - I'm not seeing anything I can uncheck to avoid having the phone picked up by the dock. Help! What am I missing??

0 Likes
spyke562
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi Mrskit,

Grabmywrist1's post did resolve my issue.  I totally agree with you both on how the Rhyme rang while it was docked.  One step I didn't get right away was to long press on the HTC CRM540 device.

So here is what I did:

-Turn Bluetooth on

- With phone un-docked (sitting in my hand next to the dock), go to Settings --> Wireless & networks --> Bluetooth settings

- I simply had my phone in my hand next to the dock, I did not dock it.

- Under "Bluetooth devices", select your dock (Mine was called "HTC CR M540")

NOTE: This is where I was long pressing on the device.  Simple press and hold you finger on the screen.  A window will pop up, from here you can select Options (or Setttings).

- In the Connect to... screen you will see two sections.  HTC CR M540 and Profiles.  I simply unchecked Use for phone audio under the Profiles section.

In the end I think you are almost there...just long press on the HTC CR M540 device.

If you are still having issues simply reply.  I have no problem going back and documenting with screen shots for you.

Also, thanks to grabmywrist1 for posting the solution!

Good Luck!

mrskit
0 Likes
LiteMe9
Enthusiast - Level 1

thank you so much for this!   i have also been trying to resolve the loud ringing since i received the phone in January.  I had given up and just stopped using the dock (on of the main reasons i chose this phone!)   I do hope they make phones with docks in the future (as it is so much easier to charge it at night) but that they make the ringer volume an option (with ringtones too!)   i nearly shat myself when the phone rang while docked, and it is a TERRIBLE sound to be woken with. 

thank you thank you thank you!!!!  Smiley Happy

nicollet

I have followed all of the steps that grabmywrist1 outlined, however I have not been successful in changing the volume.  I have unchecked the use phone for audio button.  I did a test call and it still rings.  When I went back into the settings, the box is checked again.  I called into Verizon customer support and they were not able to help me so I thought I would turn back to you.  I appreciate your help!

0 Likes
deirdre5155

this did work for me.  thank you so much!  i use my phone/dock at work to listen to the radio and when it would ring it would be shocking!!  thank you

0 Likes