Re: HTC One battery life after update to 4.4.2
kaylaartist
Enthusiast - Level 2

HI.  this sounds great and following your istructions I do ok until.....#5.  I do not get that image automatically.  I get that image when I hold down the volume up button and press power, at which time, the phone merely turns on again.  I cannot get the cache commands.

Can you help?  thanks.

0 Likes
zerofossilfuel
Enthusiast - Level 2

All I can tell you is it's very tricky to get to the screen with the red triangle. When you hit "Recovery" the phone seems to power down and the screen goes blank for what seems an eternity. Be patient. Once you get there, press and hold volume up, then press and also hold power for 3 seconds until the home/back buttons flash, release power first then volume up does get you to the screen where you can wipe the cache. It's the last selection at the bottom of the list. I did it for my nephew's HTC One M7 and his battery life is back to good as new.

Wiping the cache must clear out the NSA trojans they plant, until the next "feature enhancement upgrade". Battery drain as they're eavesdropping is the one thing they can't hide.

Hvbasswltrv

I have had the HTC One smart phone from Verizon since December 2013 - loved the phone and features - until mandatory update kitkat 4.4.2 was downloaded. This has ruined my phone to the point that I do not want it anymore. I have had several chats with verizon tech support. The issues are: battery life has gone from 24 to 36 hours with normal use.  Now the battery life is about 5 hours at best - with little to no use.  Also, during normal use the phone gets hot - really hot after about 3 minutes. I have tried every fix that verizon has suggested and also every fix that I found on their chat board, from people that have experienced the exact same issues.  Still no resolution. Verizon has sent me a new replacement HTC One, and as soon as I was done going through the set up, it downloaded the kitkat 4.4.2 upgrade and started having the same exact issues.  I chatted with verizon tech support again about this and pleaded with them to let me have a different phone. I even said that I would gladly accept a down grade to something like a non smart flip phone - just so I could have a phone that works! Verizon's response - they are sending another HTC One replacement phone.  I have been with Verizon wireless now for about 5 years.  So now I am shopping for a new provider - I hear that T-Mobile will even pay your early termination fee up to $650.  Can you tell that I am more than a little frustrated? Very unusual for me. It takes a lot to get me to this level of frustration.  I asked if there was any way to block the MANDATORY upgrade to kitkat 4.4.2 and was told that "no, there is no way to block it".  So now I am being forced to find another provider, which I'm sure will cost me a ton of money.

0 Likes
zerofossilfuel
Enthusiast - Level 2

You do not indicate whether or not you tried to "Wipe" the cache using the instructions found in this thread. I have performed this wipe for a couple of family members as well with a 100% success rate. Follow the steps. It works.

Verizon's answer is always to just replace the device under HTC's warranty making life miserable for you and for HTC. I am documenting Verizon's response to this complaint as evidence for attorneys general throughout the US. The fix is simple but they're either unwilling or too stupid to share it with you.

0 Likes
lunasmiles
Enthusiast - Level 2

Today is July 17, 2014.  I've had my HTC One (m8) for a month or so and have been pleased with the battery life - usually having to charge it once overnight and even then it's usually still over 25%.

This morning I unplugged it from the charger and it immediately went to 98%, and steadily down until now, 5 hours later, the battery is as 12%!  I checked the software version and notice that it's 4.4.2, but what I don't know is whether the phone already had this version when I bought it or if it just now downloaded.   This would seem to be the case, given the sudden and dramatic loss of battery power.

So - what do I do?  I tried the suggested process as described in post #46, but when I got to step #5, "volume up, power on" the phone powered up to the home screen and there was no signal!  So the only thing I could think of to do was a factory reset and now I've spent 2 hours playing with my phone and the batter is now down to 10%!

It seems obvious to me that this is a software issue, and I'm getting really, really tired of it, as it has happened before with previous Android updates!  If this doesn't get resolved soon, I'm headed for T-Mobile.

0 Likes
zerofossilfuel
Enthusiast - Level 2

Please read my notes on this problem. It's tricky but you'll get there.

0 Likes
Hvbasswltrv

Replied as requested/

Rick

Personal info removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service .

Message edited by: Admin moderator

0 Likes
Holacristy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the same exact problem!  I have done two hard resets and disabled a majority of my apps.  However, whenever I use the phone to call or text the battery usage for that particular function goes up to 34% or 27%.  There is a serious problem, which will never be addressed by HTC or Verizon.  I switched from my iPhone because of similar issues following software updates.  Well I see that perhaps the issue lies with Verizon and every cell phone company. 

0 Likes
Holacristy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nothing

0 Likes
ckado

Just came across this board, would greatly appreciate any assistance. I have an M7, running 4.4.3. No extra launchers, background animations, etc. My battery behavior is as follows from a full 100% charge:

• Doing nothing, it will drain ~1% every couple minutes, and be down to 80% in about 30 mins.
  • Past this point:
    • Taking a 'major' action like making a 5 minute phone call or taking a single photo, often kills the battery and shuts the phone off.
    • Texting and light web browsing (no video) is ok until the battery gets to somewhere between 50-70%. The phone will shut off somewhere in that range.
  • If I plug my phone in, the battery will show 0-1% charge. Battery can drop to 0% from anywhere between 50-75%.
  • Using the original HTC charger seems to drain my battery rather than charge it, as it drops 1% very slowly, ie - every 10 mins or so.
  • I've tried this tactic to fix battery. Helped me last past 80%. Prior to this, my battery would die at 80%.

What do you suggest?

Thanks!

0 Likes