HTC One Wi-Fi Connection Issues - Please help!
Jroq

I need major help!

I am currently on my third HTC One, after two attempts at a solution, and I am still having the same problem. Here it is: I will connect to my Wi-Fi at home, successfully browse a few pages online, press the power button to put it to sleep, press the power button again to turn it back on, then see (in the status bar) the Wi-Fi disconnect then reconnect, try to browse more pages online with no luck because the connection does not work. The only way I can consistently get Wi-Fi to work on this phone is after waking up my phone from sleep I have to turn Wi-Fi off then back on to re-establish the connection.

I've check my settings extensively and changed a few defaults in an attempt to get this to work. Here are my settings currently: "Keep Wi-fi on during sleep" - Always; "Wi-fi Frequency band" - 5 Ghz only; "Wi-Fi optimization" is checked; "Best Wi-Fi perfomance" is checked. My Wi-Fi password was entered correctly and I am currently writing this on a laptop connected to the same home network.

I am at my wit's end. I just want this beautiful phone to work properly. Are there any suggestions as to what might be causing this and how to fix this situation? Or am I doomed to an endless cycle of HTC One exchanges until I find one that works? Please help! Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: HTC One Wi-Fi Connection Issues - Please help!
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Jroq,

Congrats on such a great device! I personally love the HTC One. My coworker does not have that problem with his phone. Have you tried different wifi networks? Have you tested other products on your wifi connection? Keep me posted.

Thanks, BobbyS_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Not applicable

: "Keep Wi-fi on during sleep" - Always; "Wi-fi Frequency band" - 5 GHz only; "Wi-Fi optimization" is checked; "Best Wi-Fi performance" is checked. My Wi-Fi password was entered correctly and I am currently writing this on a laptop connected to the same home network.

Unless you have a router that broadcasts on the 5Ghz. this setting is wrong. "Wi-fi Frequency band" - 5 GHz only"

You have to have one of the new routers that support the 5G band. Otherwise if you don't have it the situation you are experiencing will occur.

On my HTC One and my Apple devices I have an A/C Router that supports the higher speed. So it connects perfectly.

Change the setting back.

Good Luck

0 Likes
angela_marie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had a similar problem, this is how I solved it. Go to Wi-Fi, select the three dots on the right side of the screen, and press WPS push, then find the WPS button on your modem (mine is directly on top, and it's lit up) and push it as well. The WPS light on the modem will flash for a few seconds while it talks to your phone, which will show a WPS loading screen. When the light on your modem stops flashing, that means your One is now connected.

0 Likes
Jroq

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. What solved the problem for me was that I went to the Verizon store, had the technician help out, and they Googled the problem and saw that a factory reset would solve the issue. I never saw this result when I Googled the solution, but I went along with it. This worked in the store and I was able to connect to the wi-fi hotspot in the store. When I went home the wi-fi connection worked just fine. The reason I didn't do this in the first place is because I did a factory reset on the first two phones I had and the problem persisted. For whatever reason it worked this time.

0 Likes
Tennis-Nut
Enthusiast - Level 1

It seems that rebooting worked for you.  That's great! 

Here's what happened to me:

I purchased two HTC One phones, one for me, one for my wife.  Both could not connect to my 2.4GHz wifi router.  I did all the usual steps, reboot router, change password and reboot, switch from 128-bit encryption to 64-bit encryption and reboot, etc.  Nothing worked.

The problem:  Android 4.2.2

The solution:  Upgrade to Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) via the [Settings] - [Software Update] - [Check New] menu

But how to upgrade when you cannot access WiFi?  Call Verizon.  They will either temporarily extend your data plan to allow you to download the massive 500MB installation package or work with you to put the update on a laptop where you can then transfer it to your SmartPhone via the memory card, or over USB.

This is not meant as a plug for Verizon, but I must say the technical folks are pleasant, patient, and very capable.  And now my HTC One, and my wife's, are happily communicating with many different WiFi routers both 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz.  (Notice picture of two smiling people riding horses into the sunset)

Hope this is helpful to the next HTC One customer.

0 Likes