Re: HTC One FM Tuner
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

This site has nothing to do with their PR department, its a peer to peer forum for knowledgeable users to help other users with issues using their device.  If you think your device is defective, call CS and get it replaced.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear brewhoppy,

Good morning. I understand the importance of being able to use all features that come with your phone. Unfortunately, we do not have any information regarding a sofware update that will enable the use of the FM turner on this device. However, you have the ability to register for alerts on new products and services by clicking http://bit.ly/dDumph

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes
TJHAW
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon--are you confirming that it was not disabled in hardware, just software?

scarshapedstar--how do you know it works in airplane mode?

Again, it's infuriating that verizon made us wait months longer for this phone, then disabled a very nice feature.

I don't know if some marketing genius thought it would increase data revenues, but I have to point out that the times I use the FM radio on my DINC2 are times that there's no data connection anyway, or something I can't stream.

The sprint network has issues, but they have a very cool use of the FM radio feature (but sadly exclusive).

http://gigaom.com/2013/08/15/interactive-fm-radio-app-nextradio-coming-to-sprint-via-exclusive-red-h...

From this article "On the plus side, since audio is received over the phone’s FM tuner rather than the internet, you use three times less battery power and only 10 percent of the data used by streaming radio. "

Also, http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57448060-93/radio-again-seeks-to-include-fm-tuners-in-mobile-phones...

UGH. Maybe I should cancel and switch to ATT.

Camel78
Enthusiast - Level 2

I would like to echo others on this thread and say how disappointed I am that my new HTC One from Verizon does not have the FM Radio feature! This was a selling point for me over the GS4 and iPhone, and it never occurred to me that Verizon wouldn't have the radio feature given that all the other carries have it. I sincerely hope this is just a software update you are working to resolve. I rely on FM radio to listen to local live sports broadcasts in my area. 

0 Likes
BOBD1950
Contributor - Level 1

I use the Tune In  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tunein.player&hl=en app that was pre installed ..listing to my crystal clear local WCBS 101.1 right now..among 25+  other sports/rock/talk/news..  stations.. via my WiFi. Many I CANT get with my High Zoot radio in the Malibu..too!

Boom speakers are some ----. via My Beats head phones from my REZOUND are addicting.

FM tuner..R I P ..

Until KitKat 4.4 !

0 Likes
scarshapedstar
Contributor - Level 1

Wowie zowie, I had that app installed for 3 years on my old Dinc, but never knew what it was for. Actually, I did, because I can read, but never used it because - as has been beaten to death repeatedly - you can't stream sports with it.

Anyway, the FM tuner isn't dead, it's just kidnapped for some inexplicable reason.

I love how Verizon felt the need to "help us conserve data" by nagging us with a Wifi notification that comes on if you turn WiFi off and comes on if you have WiFi on to notify you of "open" networks, typically ones that are behind a login page and thus aren't even open, so it's totally useless and hardly ever goes away - might as well just stencil it over the screen for all the good it does. In fact it's so useless and omnipresent I'm surprised it doesn't have a big red V on it. And yet when it comes to things that actually conserve data, like listening to local radio stations with the phone's built-in antenna, they're like... (comments discussing moderation removed)

Sure am glad I kept my grandfathered unlimited data, because wasting their bandwidth doesn't cost me a cent - fitting, given that they're forcing me to do it.

Post edited for content discussing moderation as required by the Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

Camel78
Enthusiast - Level 2

Correction... you can listen to many sports-talk radio stations online with apps like Tune In. But when it comes to actually listening to a live sporting event broadcast (such as the nightly Red Sox game) the only way to listen online is through a paid subscription through MLB or NHL or NBA etc. This is due to licencing agreements. And since these broadcasts are still available for free through traditional FM radio airwaves, I'm not willing to pay MLB just to be able to listen to the games on my phone. I'll hang onto my FM receiver for that. It is just unfortunate that my new phone doesn't come with a pre-installed FM tuner the way my old Droid did.

Verizon, please fix this and make the HTC One just as good on your network as the AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile variants!    

Denmc
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon,

Please hit us with a software update that allows us to use the FM tuner for the HTC one. I love the phone but if i am not able to use all of its hardware I am strongly considering switching my $250/month family plan to one of your competitors.

PLEASE FIX!!!!

scarshapedstar
Contributor - Level 1

Until I see proof that FM radio doesn't cause cancer, we can only describe this as an innovative VZW improvement

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Dear Denmc,

Good morning. Software updates are exciting! At this time we do not have any information regarding a software release for this device. However, please feel free to register for alerts on new products and services by clicking http://bit.ly/dDumph  Please know that we do not want to lose you! What other features besides the fm tuner are you unable to use on the HTC One?

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
VZW Support
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSUPPORT

0 Likes