Re: HTC ONE?
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Seems to me like her response was merely a reflection of the tone of your first post.  Every time there is a device released on another carrier that a couple verizon customers want, this place gets clogged with a whole chunk of threads asking the same when, why where questions about the device.  It gets real old trying to wade through those threads to find someone who needs help with a real problem.

Appleanche
Enthusiast - Level 2

Isn't that part of the problem?

Why can't Verizon just state a release date and release the phone like every other carrier in the country?

The reason is so that they can sell more DROID branded phones they make a few more bucks on.

Always customer friendly!

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

Verizon makes money on the service you pay for, not the devices they sell.

Appleanche
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon isn't paying manufacturers $600 and $650 on the phones, and the difference they're getting depending on the phone, manufacturer, etc all vary.  A flagship like the HTC One is going to probably cost them more than an one of the new Droids or even the Moto X...

http://techwhack.co/motorola-reportedly-selling-moto-carriers-usd-350-45854/

Look at this article, if they're buying the HTC One at say $400-$450 each they've got a $100 incentive to go out and actively support selling the Motorola phones over the HTC One. When you're the largest carrier in the US it adds up pretty quickly, if by delaying, not putting a solid release date, etc coverts over just say 200K customers to less expensive phone (to Verizon) you could be looking at 20m to the bottom line.

They've done it with plenty of other phones in the past, not just actively supporting and recommending one phone, but going out of their way to ruin the launch of any competing one.  Anyone who wanted a Galaxy Nexus knows this.

If I don't hear anything in the next week I'm going to another carrier for not only the phone but the fact that in the future I won't have to wait 2-5 months for the flagship phones depending on Verizon's mood.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

Appleanche wrote:

Why can't Verizon just state a release date and release the phone like every other carrier in the country?

The reason is so that they can sell more DROID branded phones they make a few more bucks on.

you may consider it a problem. a bigger problem though, is when carriers officially announce a date, and then push it back. as it stands, verizon has given no date. you and others may find this annoying, but i promise you there is ALWAYS more outrage when a carrier announces a date and then they aren't ready and an "official" launch date gets pushed back. or worse yet, open up pre ordering and give you a "will ship by" date, only to push that back.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

AZSALUKI wrote:

Appleanche wrote:

you may consider it a problem. a bigger problem though, is when carriers officially announce a date, and then push it back. as it stands, verizon has given no date. you and others may find this annoying, but i promise you there is ALWAYS more outrage when a carrier announces a date and then they aren't ready and an "official" launch date gets pushed back. or worse yet, open up pre ordering and give you a "will ship by" date, only to push that back.

Bad memories of the Tbolt, Motorola Droid Bionic, etc?

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

AZSALUKI
Legend

original Incredible. launched and within a week it had a 6 week ship by date.....lol. probably the best example of why you wait until ready. i think the thread was about 150 pages of thousands of customers complaining. i have yet to see a thread come close to that. even when verizon didn't get the sii, the thread wasn't that bad. it's always worse to announce or even launch before you KNOW you're good. considering htc already had supply issues for the smaller carriers, it's not a stretch to think that verizon just has to know they can deliver. one thing nobody considers when they gripe about verizon being later than everyone else, is that verizon has to secure more units than any other carrier.

oh yeah....and best buy actually taking deposits on the tbolt, and then refusing to take more deposits because they still didn't know when htc could actually supply it to verizon.

htc seems to be a common variable in supply issues.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

<< Comments removed to comply with >>

Thank you for proving my point.  The carriers don't make money on the devices they sell.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Appleanche
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's cute and all but the reality is I'm already giving them close to $5,000 in our family plan over the course of 2 years.

The fact that they decide to play games with customers in order to save a few bucks on phone cost is frankly pretty embarrassing.  Why can Sprint, AT&T, and T-Mobile release it no issues?

Also, they don't have to not release the phone.  The average consumer goes into a Verizon store and asks what the best phone is, that's where the corporate trained Verizon employee directs them right to the money makers.    

0 Likes
Appleanche
Enthusiast - Level 2

The issue is that the pushing back is pure marketing, it's not a device testing, it's nothing. The HTC One works flawlessly on Sprint's very similar CDMA and LTE network.

If it was device issues, I understand, this is just marketing.

0 Likes