Re: HTC ONE part 2
Appleanche
Enthusiast - Level 2

So HTC has managed to release the The One on hundreds of carriers in the world without issue, including Sprint with it's CDMA-LTE variety, and you expect us to believe that HTC is the one delaying the phone? As if they forgot how to make a phone between the Sprint and Verizon versions?

It's marketing.. Obey, Buy DROID™, Consume..

0 Likes
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

taxandspend wrote:

If you have some reliable source, you've been holding out on us.  What *is* the reason for the delay.  Everything I've seen and written has been personal speculation up to now.

Give us the skin

We probably won't ever know.  Verizon is often later with devices than the other carriers.  And the more stringent testing line we hear is ** in my opinion.  If that were true, then the Droids wouldn't be released so soon after being announced.  I think Verizon has become a behemoth that is slow to react.  The Verizon and AT&T reaction to T-Mobile Jump is pathetic.  Verizon should be leading the way, not following.

I don't believe that Verizon ever wanted to carry the One.  They got to sell the Butterfly as a Droid DNA.  When the One was announced, I am sure the VZW was caught off guard at the response to it and had to change it's position and carry it.  I think when the device manufacturers "release" their phones, they already have contracts in place with the carriers prior to the announcement of release.  The delay is probably due to contract negotiations.  VZW, being the biggest carrier, probably thinks it can bully HTC into giving VZW what they want in that contract, hence the delay.  This is *my* worthless opinion.  And my rationale is all the apparent games VZW is playing with the release date.

0 Likes
taxandspend
Enthusiast - Level 3

I don't believe that Verizon ever wanted to carry the One.  They got to sell the Butterfly as a Droid DNA.  When the One was announced, I am sure the VZW was caught off guard at the response to it and had to change it's position and carry it.  I think when the device manufacturers "release" their phones, they already have contracts in place with the carriers prior to the announcement of release.  The delay is probably due to contract negotiations.  VZW, being the biggest carrier, probably thinks it can bully HTC into giving VZW what they want in that contract, hence the delay.  This is *my* worthless opinion.  And my rationale is all the apparent games VZW is playing with the release date.

I think your "worthless" opinion is spot on.  I hope Verizon gets competitive again in other ways besides having the best network. We got the kids DNA's for Christmas, and those are fabulous phones, but Verizon should have still lead the way (or at least kept up) and and jumped on the One as soon as it became available.  I am fully ported over to T-Mobile now and am a customer of both wireless companies now.

Comments discussing moderation removed as required by the Verizon Wireless Terms of Service.

Message was edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
wayne88
Contributor - Level 1

I agree the One's ship has sailed with its mere Snapdragon 600 processor when the Snapdragon 800 processor is out. That is why my choice will be between the Note 3 and the HTC One Max (both of which have the 800). If Verizon delays on releasing them......bye bye Verizon!

0 Likes
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

wayne88 wrote:

I agree the One's ship has sailed with its mere Snapdragon 600 processor when the Snapdragon 800 processor is out. That is why my choice will be between the Note 3 and the HTC One Max (both of which have the 800). If Verizon delays on releasing them......bye bye Verizon!

If you want a "Phablet", then yes, the Note 3 and the One Max are the ones to look at.  Or even the LG G2.  But the One is hardly "obsolete".  When my contract is either eligible for upgrade (used to be 20 months, now 24 months), you have to pick from what is available.  Sometimes you get lucky and something brand new comes out just at the right time, other times you have to pick the best available.  As of Aug 29, I still feel that the HTC One *phone* will still be one of the very best available.  Yes, I would have preferred to have been able to get it last May 8th, when my upgrade eligibility was first available, but I'm locked in my contract until Sept 8.  So I've been teased since May 8th.  I will have an HTC One by Sept 9.  31 more days to go.  I'd prefer to stay here, but I will go to ATT if needed.  I have already talked to my local sales rep and am ready to make the switch on Sept 9th if needed.  I don't see anything in a 4.7" phone that beats the One on the immediate horizon.

bholt6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just spoke with a sales person from Verizon.  He confirmed the One is scheduled to be released the 29th and did say it was confirmed through Verizon.  I noticed HTC was fielding some twitter questions last night about the release of 4.2.2 and their answers were regarding 4.3 and how they are working out a plan to release that globally and regionally since Google announced it.  Makes it sound like HTC is planning on skipping 4.2.2 all together.  If this is the case, maybe this is the cause of the delay for our version of the One.  When I asked the sales person he replied with, "I can't confirm or deny if it will have 4.3 out of the box Smiley Happy".  So he either thought I was a cute typer, he knows something that he can't say, or he has no idea.  I was concerned that the HTC One would be out of date with the new Snapdragon 800 coming out and then I realized that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference and chances are none of you will either.  Its a similar situation with the Moto X...its just as fast, if not faster than the One, but oh Lord, it doesn't win the meaningless tests.  Forget the spec war.

0 Likes
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

bholt6 wrote:

Just spoke with a sales person from Verizon.  He confirmed the One is scheduled to be released the 29th and did say it was confirmed through Verizon.  I noticed HTC was fielding some twitter questions last night about the release of 4.2.2 and their answers were regarding 4.3 and how they are working out a plan to release that globally and regionally since Google announced it.  Makes it sound like HTC is planning on skipping 4.2.2 all together.  If this is the case, maybe this is the cause of the delay for our version of the One.  When I asked the sales person he replied with, "I can't confirm or deny if it will have 4.3 out of the box Smiley Happy".  So he either thought I was a cute typer, he knows something that he can't say, or he has no idea.  I was concerned that the HTC One would be out of date with the new Snapdragon 800 coming out and then I realized that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference and chances are none of you will either.  Its a similar situation with the Moto X...its just as fast, if not faster than the One, but oh Lord, it doesn't win the meaningless tests.  Forget the spec war.

Well, I just had my daily chat with a Verizon sales rep and they aren't saying anything!  I just hope your guys don't end up with egg on their faces!

0 Likes
bholt6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yea, he didn't hesitate to mention that I should keep in mind that it has been delayed before.  It would be pretty awesome if we were able to snag 4.3 out of the box, though.  I know thats very wishful thinking, but if the previous rumors of 4.2.2 out of the box are true, its almost pointless if HTC does end up skipping 4.2.2...we'd just be behind again.  Fingers crossed for 4.3.

0 Likes
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

bholt6 wrote:

Yea, he didn't hesitate to mention that I should keep in mind that it has been delayed before.  It would be pretty awesome if we were able to snag 4.3 out of the box, though.  I know thats very wishful thinking, but if the previous rumors of 4.2.2 out of the box are true, its almost pointless if HTC does end up skipping 4.2.2...we'd just be behind again.  Fingers crossed for 4.3.

I must be easier to please.  I just am crossing my fingers for Aug 29, even if it is with 4.1.2.

0 Likes
wayne88
Contributor - Level 1

I'm sure that there will be some 4.7 to 5 inch phones sporting the Snapdragon 800 soon. They removed the early qualification for phone upgrade back in April even for those of us getting close to early upgrade. Mine went from Sept 14 (20 month point after buying the Rezound) to January 14th 2014 (the full 24 month point). I called and complained about this retroactive bait and switch. Apparently, they are willing to work with those unhappy about that rather than see them switch carriers. I'll test that in September and if I don't like what I hear, I will  head over (reluctantly) to ATT.

0 Likes