Re: HTC ONE part 2
emepror

i dont know if this means anything but i cant find the DNA on the website anymore, you can search for it and its still in the search results but when you click on the link, it redirects to the main smartphone page

0 Likes
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

demmo86rt wrote:

Thank you for clarifying your lack of clarity.  The only way they could be "luring" you in to paying monthly fees is if they told you the ONE was available now.  That would be the bait.  But, nobody has said (most certainly nobody from Verizon) that they have the ONE available now.  If you are going into a store expecting to purchase the ONE right now, you have bigger problems than not understanding bait and switch.  Of course they are going to recommend a phone that they currently sell when you ask about a phone that they don't sell.  They are trying to make a sale and, when somebody comes in showing interest in purchasing a phone, they are going to try to sell a phone that they actually have available to sell. 

Bait and switch would be if they said "come on down, we have the ONE for sale" and then, when you got there, they didn't have it, and then sold you a lesser product.  In your example, they are not even trying to sell you a lesser product and, depending on who you ask, are actually trying to sell you a better product (for probably the same price, mind you, another key component to bait and switch). 

Now, if you hadn't said anything, I might have doubted your lack of education on bait and switch.  However, you decided to go ahead and reinforce my stance that you sir, do not understand what the phrase bait and switch means.

Side note: Verizon takes a loss on every phone they sell at a subsidized two year contract price (that's why they make you sign a contract, to ensure they will recoup the difference via your monthly payment) so saying that they are waiting until they can push their "high margin" phones is also completely incorrect.

In fact, I would say that the most likely scenario is that Verizon and HTC had some sort of contract regarding the DNA and are waiting until the terms of that are met.

One more, believe it or not, I know somebody who has held and used the Verizon ONE, it does exist, it is coming (sooner or later), and it is exactly the same as the versions available on other carriers.

Why thank you for your kind ignorant words.  I understand your point, but I'm not so obstinate as you are to assume that there is only ONE way for a bait and switch to work.  Just like there is more than one way to get on base in baseball.  You get a hit, get hit by a pitch, get walked or safe on a fielders choice.  Each method results in the same thing.  Someone gets on first base!  Now, I won't call you an ignoramus, but I would be within my rights to do so.  So I'll let it slide.

They have baited many people into staying based on the promise of a product.  However, if you have taken the time to chat with a sales rep on the web site, I'm quite sure your experience will be similar to mine.  They will encourage you to "check out the S4".  Now, in the classic sense of the "bait and switch" as you describe, wouldn't work in all cases.  You see, we are under this 2 year contract, in many cases, and couldn't leave unless we were to pay the termination fee.

To me this is a "bait and switch".  Why else don't they say "Coming Sept 20, 2013".  It would fall in summer 2013 still.  They are giving many "false hope" that the phone will come on July 1, July 15, Aug 1, Aug 15, Sept 5, etc.  As each day passes, they get to promote their higher margin phones (MOTO) and hope that most of us will tire and eventually settle for a different phone, keeping us paying our monthly fees.

If you don't agree with my premise, I apologize for your lack of imagination and willingness to get along with others and their idea.  You are either a small minded person or a bully.  Perhaps both.

0 Likes
Danishs
Contributor - Level 1

The Droid DNA is no longer listed on the website.

0 Likes
demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

How have they given anybody false hope?  The exact wording from their twitter account is "later this summer".  Until the end of summer, nobody can claim they thought the device would be available yet.  If you have stayed (beyond the terms of your contract because otherwise this whole argument is null and void, you're not leaving without paying an ETF anyway) for this specific device, you are not of your right mind to expect to walk into a store and be able to find one.  If you give up and purchase a device that is already available, you need to work on your patience, and that is by no means Verizon's fault. 

Merriam-Webster definition of bait and switch:

1: a sales tactic in which a customer is attracted by the advertisement of a low-priced item but is then encouraged to buy a higher-priced one

2: the ploy of offering a person something desirable to gain favor (as political support)      then thwarting expectations with something less desirable

So, regardless of your perceived impression of what it means, Verizon has not offered ANYBODY the HTC ONE.  By that fact alone, there is no bait, and there can be no switch. 

Now, if you want to discuss whether or not Verizon is right in not offering the ONE the same time as everyone else (it really IS their decision when they decide to offer devices), or whether or not you know better how to run their business (what you are saying when you say they should give and exact release date before they are ready to, for what ever reason), or whether or not they have the choice to push (or sell for that matter) which devices they choose (again, it's not YOUR company), or maybe you would like to discuss why somebody would continue to do business with a company that they don't agree with (why anybody would willingly give money to a company they think is cheating them by not giving away their business plan is beyond me), then you might be able to come up with reasons that I can't argue with (though for some reason I doubt it), but if you are going to use a well known phrase with a specific definition, then you should probably make sure you know that definition, understand that definition, and use the phrase properly.

<< Comment removed to comply with >>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

<< Comments removed for violations of the https://community.verizonwireless.com/docs/DOC-1011, attacking another user. >>

0 Likes
UgXvibe
Contributor - Level 1

2: the ploy of offering a person something desirable to gain favor (as political support)      then thwarting expectations with something less desirable

So, regardless of your perceived impression of what it means, Verizon has not offered ANYBODY the HTC ONE.  By that fact alone, there is no bait, and there can be no switch. 

I have to agree with Paul here..

The ploy: They HAVE offered the One >"HTC One coming later this summer" but no date. Yet the Droids already have a release date of August 20th and is pretty much set in stone.

The thwarting: Instead of waiting for the One, that Verizon refuses to set a date on for several months, why don't you just check out the Galaxy S4 or the Droids. And of course anyone working for Verizon feels these are equivalent devices anyways.

or maybe you would like to discuss why somebody would continue to do business with a company that they don't agree with (why anybody would willingly give money to a company they think is cheating them by not giving away their business plan is beyond me),

Do you want to know the reason? Because most of us have been with Verizon for a long time, they have great coverage and we HAD hope that they would follow suit with the rest of the world in releasing, arguably, the best smartphone on the market. We are not willingly giving away our money to a company that is cheating us, we are simply paying for a service to avoid an ETF. My contract was up on July 25th and if no date is given by Aug 1 then I'm out as well. 

What is their business plan exactly? I believe the reason the One has not been released is because they were waiting for Moto to finish with the Droids so they can get there proprietary phones to market. Which is all fine and good but why even announce AT ALL the release of the One "later in the summer"? Because they want us to stick around and not lose its customers. And I think the only reason they released that statement is because they realized that the One was better than they expected and a large portion of their customers would definitely stay if they could get their hands on this device.

<< Comments removed to comply with >>

0 Likes
UgXvibe
Contributor - Level 1
0 Likes
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

UgXvibe wrote:

Another 'leak' yet to be confirmed by VZW.. http://www.droid-life.com/2013/07/31/verizon-htc-one-launch-bumped-to-august-15/

Boy we didn't see that coming, did we?  I, for one, would really like to know the true origins of these "leaks".  The pattern has been consistent.

39 days and counting.

0 Likes
groovysunflowers
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would like to know as well. Droid life tweeted this news a couple days ago on their twitter and I asked them what their source was but I got no answer back. The leak says training for the NFC Mobile app would be held off until 7/24 which tells me it's a week old leak so why did it take so long to surface? I'm hoping its false but I guess I've waited this long, what's another two weeks. 😕

0 Likes
REC732

What is Verizon doing?  I been a long VZ customer but they force you to pick a phone they want you to have.  its obvious that Motorola is the phone VZ wants you to have.  I swear for the 4 plus years I have been on VZ we have the less options.  its sad man.

0 Likes