Re: HTC ONE part 2
Not applicable

That is true. In my city Verizon has excellent 4G service (wifes phone) my iphone gets lousy 3G service even at the verizon headquarters downtown. Maybe because they are farming out 3G for pre-paid service and other needs. It gets congested.

My other line which was on verizon received excellent 4G service but I realized I should try another service since T-Mobile in my city went live to 4G and the HSPA+ was also very fast. Since my Spectrum is cdma and not gsm I bought the HTC One (LTE) and it works flawless and its also unlimited everything with unlimited data for $70 and the employer discount brings it down to $58 so I save money but I will never recoup the $657 I paid out right for the phone.

Customer service I will admit is somewhat worse than Verizons but as I have been with verizon for over thirty years I never had to call them thirteen times out of fourteen days to get a feature removed I did not request. So I give a plus to verizon for that.

0 Likes
BOBD1950
Contributor - Level 1

The bottom line is VZW either did  not want to subsidize this phone or  feels this phone will cannibalize sales on other more profitable phones  or remaining inventory..and..very disappointed by HTC's lack of commitment to updating their phones with new software.

HTC's financial troubles aren't getting any easier, with the Taiwanese  company's stunning 83 percent decline in net profit for the  April-June period compared with last year. ..they are bleeding capital on a epic scale.(read: saga of BB)

HTC has to make a choice if it wants to be  beholden to the carriers making 4 phones a year customized to each  carrier, or be an innovator at the risk of failure going all in on a  phone in hopes it becomes the next Galaxy $4 and becomes a must have  phone in every carriers line up.

BTW the MOTO x should be avail. for Preorder on or about 8-1..AND ..,yea we know..its not  in the same (S4-HTC-1) class ,except that It will be as pure a  Android as ever on a Moto device, and  some folks that cant afford a 300 dollar upgrade replacement, THAT is a big deal..over pixels and speaker locations.

Once the HTC One gets on Verizon, they will have One sale from me.  A 64 v.

I've  been happy with my great HTC REZOUND , but it is showing it's age. 

0 Likes
BOBD1950
Contributor - Level 1

It’s coming – the HTC One will be available on the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network later this summer HTCOne HTCUSA

groovysunflowers
Enthusiast - Level 3

At the risk of sounding naive or even over-confident I think it would be foolish for Verizon to think of the One cannabalizing sales of other profitable phones without weighing that against how much profitable One sales would be/would have been by now, by simply polling existing users or actually reading these threads. They'd also have One sale from me, as a person who is also willing to do anything for this phone. Even the One Max will be battling the Note III by the time VZW gets the regular One, and I'd still take the older, regular One even though it's 5-6 months old just because I have small hands and don't need a 5" or higher screen. The only thing would be the improved SD 800 but meh. At this point I'm just ready for anything faster than my iPhone 4S still running on 3G. Lol we have 4G LTE in my area but was not available for my phone so I haven't even gotten to experience it haha. The speaker location continues to be the main selling point for me, and I don't even see how the Moto X is a contender against the One and S4, along with the upcoming LG G2 and others.

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

freddyttt wrote:

Agreed and yes the software update is by no means a deal breaker. my problem is VZ is trying to Pick what phones we can upgrade too. they are in bed with MOTO and will do what it takes to push there crap. when and if they release the HTC ONE it will be HO-HUM with no fan-fare from VZ... I'm not happy.!!

you can't fault them for their "partnership" with moto. until the galaxy line from samsung, no other manufacturer spent the marketing $$ like moto did. you see more advertising for verizon/moto products because moto puts up the dough. it's not verizon's job to push particular manufacturers, but if a manufacturer want to split the marketing costs, i'm sure verizon would be on board. so far, moto has been that company for years. i didn't even know what android was until i was BLASTED with the original moto droid commercials. had no idea what it was, but i wanted it!!!!! lol

Bmar96
Enthusiast - Level 2

You're exactly right, Right now I'm willing to shell out the full price for the One but if they aren't planning on releasing it soon or giving us ANY information on when it will be released honestly I'll be happy to switch over to another company. It stinks being with Verizon.

0 Likes
Danishs
Contributor - Level 1

Verizon IsTheWorstCompany wrote:

Danishs wrote:

People who haven't even reached their upgrade date yet really shouldn't be complaining, there are people on this that have been waiting since March.

VZW didn't even say they were going to even carry the HTC One until early June ... so, no, they haven't been waiting since March. What gives you the "right" to be irritated with the One not being available over someone else because you have supposedly been waiting longer? Great logic there. Please grow up.

Vzw didn't say they were getting the HTC till June but guess what? All of the other carriers said they would get it in March. Either that or it was revealed they would carry it in March. Since then (in March) V customers have been waiting. I never said i have the right (are quotations really necessary?) to be more pissed than others. I'm just saying it's not that bad when you still have 40 days left to upgrade. The HTC plus 10 other great phones could be out by that time. It sucks for people waiting since March or even before March when rumors of the M7 reached their climax. I also never said  I was one of those people.. my upgrade was in June so I don't have it too bad either. Maybe your next reply shouldn't be full of assumptions. By the way, you mad?

0 Likes
Bmar96
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't understand why Verizon doesn't just act like other wireless company's and bring phones out on time for their customers. Why release a phone that came out MONTHS ago? I just don't get it. Is this some huge business tactic for making money or is Verizon just trying to piss of their customers on purpose?

0 Likes
random64
Contributor - Level 2

@Bmar96,

For one thing, the carriers' networks are different which means different radio freq bands and air interfaces and correspondingly different circuit hardware including antennaes.  Look at the image below of the AT&T HTC One, from http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+One+Teardown/13494/2.  Basically the entire left-hand side of the board is Cellular radio circuits, including (cyan/light blue box) Qualcomm MDM9215M 4G GSM/UMTS/LTE modem and (magenta box)TriQuint TQM7M9023 multi-band power amplifier.  Then all of the other circuitry surrounding those boxes is radio related stuff.  Now, VZW has totally different CDMA and LTE frequency bands and Power Amplifiers and filters.  Not only that, but the VZW version also incude GSM for World-phone roamability.  Furthermore, the different freq bands have different antenna issues which require circuit-tuning.  I speculate that it simply takes HTC more time to design the VZW version and since the design is unique to VZW which is now and overall smaller market compared to worldwide, they leave it for last.  Also, from what I recall, VZW has the most rigorous radio-testing of any of the US carriers which takes more time.  So, lateness of new phones is the inevitable end result.  I try not to get too worked up about it, but it is frustrating when you are stuck with an old phone and nothing decent to upgrade to and then tantalized by other carriers new cool stuff.

htcOneTearDown.jpg

0 Likes
ohredwood
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, true to my word, I got tired of waiting. I went down to the ATT store on friday, went directly over to the HTC one and laid my eyes and hands on it for the first time in person. I opened and explored all kinds of apps, and I cannot believe how incredibly fast this phone is compared to my OG Dinc. I could not get it to lag, even texting, and I'm a fast typer, my current phone I have to wait for it to catch up, not the htc one.

A rep came over and I had my vz bill in hand, so we discussed my current coverage and billing structure. As I mentioned before, my employer gives me a 24% discount on att and vz a 19% discount. My current plan with vz is a bit old, for fear of not wanting to mess with it after I got divorced last year, and possibly lose my unlimited data, I just left it alone. 700 minutes talk, 5000 texts, unlimited data. I have gone over on the minutes when it was a busy month, like moving but I never came close to going over on texts and obviously data. My typical data now that I use wifi so much is maybe a half gig a month. However there has been times, travelling or when I moved that I used the the heck out of it for the month and maybe reached 2.5 gig.

So with ATT I went with the unlimited talk and text and 4 gig, and with my discount it's about 8 bucks cheaper a month. Not a big deal really, but I did lose the unlimited data, which as I mentioned above I've tested and looked at my overall useage for the last couple years, and is not really a factor. Besides, if I wanted to keep it, and stay with vz, I'd of had to pay full retail some 700 bucks for a phone, at some point in the future. Also as I've said, my biggest concern was coverage and using the phone. I've looked on the internet and att is pretty close to neck and neck on vz in coverage, and in the market I live in, dallas, they exceed vz coverage. Not to say vz doesn't have good coverage and better pockets of coverage in some markets, I am quite sure they do.

Downside, I lose removeable battery, and removeable sd card, that my current or outdated OG Dinc has. I can deal with the sd card, in fact I ordered the 64gb model from att, and I highly doubt I will come close to using that much up but I wanted to make sure I had enough memory to last me a few years with this phone, til my next upgrade. The biggest thing I'll miss is the removeable battery. There has been times my current dinc has locked up and that's how I reset it, but can't do that anymore. However, I notice the growing trend amongst a lot of new phones these days, they are doing away with the removable battery, so I guess get used to it. I got 14 days once I get the phone, to tell att forget it, and report my number back to vz if I shoud need to. I have a trip next weekend planned for houston, which is one of a couple places I visit regularly, so I will deffinitely be testing coverage. My new phone should be here tomorrow and I'm excited to get it. The screen is absolutely beautiful on this htc one. Give it a couple months, if all goes well with coverage, I'll probably root that thing too. I did also inquire about tethering, because currently I use my phone on occasion as a hotspot for my laptop. Att told me, they didn't care how I used my 4 gigs a month, my phone could act as a hotspot. So they seem to offer everything I needed out of a new phone.

I've been with vz for a long time, and change is difficult, because we get in a comfort zone, but when it comes down to it, there isn't really any loyalty for being a good longstanding customer any more, just like credit cards and low interest rates. I think sprint and tmobile have a long way to go to compare coverage wise but, I do think att is very close to vz in that reguards, but that's why you pay more for better coverage. We'll see how this pans out.

0 Likes