Re: HTC ONE part 2
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

I have no idea how Verizon's policy relates to the Affordable Care Act.  I see what Verizon has done as more like what the airlines have done.  Buy up your competitors, hire an "independent consultant" to tell the public that the merger is good because it will lower Verizon's cost so they "**CAN**" pass those savings on to their customers.  Of course, who in their right minds would pay billions of dollars so they can reduce their profit margin?  We, the SHEEPLE, yes we are acting like sheep being led to be sheered of our clothes, buy that lie and put up with the corporations and those in government who cater and serve their masters and allow them to fleece us. 

My last employer supplied me with a phone, on AT&T.  And to be honest, there were a few more places where I either didn't have service or it was very poor.  But, truly, it was good enough.  That was 2 years ago, and I'm sure that AT&T's network has only gotten better.  I first got a cell phone on Air-Touch, which was taken over by the mighty Verizon.  With their strong arm policy of forcing you into 2 year contracts, all wireless companies have really been able to stifle competition.  And by keeping their technology different, even buying a device on Verizon, still locks you into Verizon.  But we all tolerate and permit this landscape to exist.  Personally, if the One doesn't come out this month, I will probably just stay with my Bionic until December when my wife's iPhone is off contract and switch to AT&T, where at least I can switch companies.  I will buy my own device and go where ever the price is best.  I am tired of the poor customer service at a higher price, when they promised that if allowed to merge, they'd be providing better service at a lower cost.  They are as dishonest as Bernie Madoff.

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

You CAN buy an unlocked phone, you just can't use it on Verizon.  Good thing nobody forced you to use Verizon.

0 Likes
scarshapedstar
Contributor - Level 1

Well, except for the fact that I only ended up with them because they bought out Alltel, and I'm only sticking with them to retain my grandfathered unlimited data because they took that away about the same time AT&T did, by some super-bizarro coincidence.

Aside from that, yay freedom, USA! USA! USA!

demmo86rt
Champion - Level 3

And you were given a chance to change carriers at the time. 

Also, it wasn't a coincidence that AT&T got rid of unlimited around the same time.  Verizon didn't loose the majority of their customers so AT&T felt safe doing the same thing.  Same thing happened with family share plans.

0 Likes
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

Yes we can always change carriers, even if we are under contract.  We still have the choice to buy it out.  Most people won't do that as it is quite high, and should be pro-rated, which it isn't.  Basically, if you leave like a month early, you pretty much pay for the device twice.  I don't know how they get away with that, but it is what it is.

Truthfully, I have been ok with the service and devices that I've had from Verizon until recently.

1.  They promised to update my MZ602 Xoom to Jelly Bean.  Looks like they changed their mind.

2.  Their pricing is significantly higher than their competitors. (this is due to recent hikes and changes in service)

3.  Their lack or substantial delays in upgrading their devices with little or no communications of their intent.

They have disclosed that they are currently enjoying a 67% profit margin, so I cannot for the life of me understand why the above exists.  I guess if you are #1 and you enjoy that kind of profit, then you think you can do whatever you want.

All I can say to Verizon is:  "Look at RIM.  They thought they had their market sown up!"

greensled
Enthusiast - Level 2

I also am holding onto my unlimited data plan for dear life now. I have been to AT&T to look at their plans and the One, and have been talking to others in my area who have ATT to see how the service is. My Thunderbolt is aging, and I am waiting for the One, but if my Thunderbolt take a crap soon I will be forced to leave. Verizon is playing games, and it's getting old.

Not applicable

Don't know how service is on T-Mobile in your area but they have a $50 unlimited calling and text package, take the unlimited data for $20 more for a plan total of $70+tax and surcharges. My bill is $72.37 per month complete. However I paid the full price for the htc one at $635 but you can pay $157 for the EIP plan and then $20 a month for 24 months ($480) so its around $101.00 month that way.

Like I said its not for everyone.

Now presently AT&T has the same phone for a contract about $199 but there is a two year contract. On T-Mobile it's no contract. But pay full price.

Maybe one of these other providers can assist you?

The HTC One is a great phone.

Good Luck

scarshapedstar
Contributor - Level 1

Bloody hell, you're right. I should have known while rocking my Alltel Razr in 2008, when the original iPhone had no apps and the G1 hadn't even launched, that the big two would pick data as the new lock-in 4 years down the line.

I am so dumb.

0 Likes
pmangr
Contributor - Level 2

I just spoke with a Verizon rep about buying out my contract.  She asked my why I wanted to terminate my contract today.

I told her that I had 3 reasons.

1.  My Xoom hasn't been upgraded to Jelly Bean as promised last year.

2.  I can get the same service at AT&T for $40 less a month

3.  No HTC One.

She asked me if I would allow her the time to see if there was something she could do to have Verizon compete.

She came back and told me she could *lower* my bill by $20 a month if I went from a 4gb per month plan to a 2gb plan AND got rid of my data plan on my Xoom and just use WIFI.   I told her that I had just finished with my #2 reason that I could get the *same* service for $40 a month cheaper, although I'd have to get a new tablet.  But since it's obvious that the Xoom is past end of life, who cares?

I asked her about #3 and got the standard, "It's coming sometime later this summer" crap.  I told her that I have been with Verizon since they bought Air-Touch so I don't change carriers on a whim, and that her answer to wait is a bitter pill to swallow as I'm paying more than $200 a month for this "premium" service that is Verizon Wireless.

But she finally answered my initial question.  To buy out my Bionic contract, $65, to buy out my wife's iPhone, $160 (Dec 6 end date).  So I stand corrected as the DO prorate the termination fee.

I haven't yet decided when/if I'm going to jump ship, but it is becoming more and more tempting as there is rapidly diminishing reasons to stay at Verizon.  I guess one reason would be that I want to spend more money than I have to for this poor customer service, huh?

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ETF has always reduced in amount as you completed your contract for as long as I remember. The ETF is $175 minus $5 per month for basic phones and $350 minus $10 per month for advanced devices (smartphones). It is spelled out in the return policy at the bottom of the Verizon Wireless website.

The billing cycle charges for the last cycle isn't though.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes