Re: HTC ONE part 2
joemn
Enthusiast - Level 3

A previous post in which I used an indelicate metaphor on the delay of the "One" was deleted by Verizon.  OK, it was indelicate.  My point is the delay is caused by the software alterations made necessary by the inclusion of bulk Verizon programs and the exclusion of programs Google designed into the Android operating system (Google Wallet).  My other observation was that these software revisions delay the introduction of new technology, then to compound the ill effect, make it difficult to obtain timely (or at all)  software updates once we own the device. It just takes too long to add all the bloat and remove all the software Verizon can't turn to make an additional dollar on, therefore no update at all or severely delayed update.

I'm a free market believer,  the reason I complain is to Verizons benefit.  One day the market will provide a viable alternative to Verizons speed and coverage advantages of today and when that day comes Verizon will no longer be able to ignore their customers wishes. 

I'm no lawyer, but it seems that providing the device to access the network, and mandating that only approved or factory devices may be used is anticompetitive and vertical integration are issues the justice department anti-trust division would at some point find unlawful.

Wouldn't you spring for a true "Nexus" model of the "One"; no bloat, google updates of operating system and all features of the operating system as designed that could access the fastest and most available network in the world? 

It is going to happen sometime,  but they are fighting it every step of the way.  Why not lead the way instead.

Merlin13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Now that AT&T has the HTC One for dirt cheap it is time for Verizon to open up a bit.  They have to know some details about their plans and keeping customers in the dark is aggravating people and driving some to other carriers.

This is the third most popular smartphone in the US.  It is time to get the device and make it available to patient customers or at least open up about a potential release date and/or features.  Throw us a little something, if you care about keeping us as customers.

I've got a buddy on AT&T, so I know their network is just as good in the Seattle area, or close enough.  Anyone know how good Sprint WiMax is in Seattle or if/when the LTE network for Sprint will come up?  Is Sprint just not an option for someone who needs good data coverage (watching Netflix on the I5 corridor)?

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

What does Verizon history have to say on top tier phone releases. Go back through their hstory and you can get a pretty good idea of when the ONE will be available.  It's already been announced that Verizon  would carry the phone  Pre orders for this phone should be coming out shortly.

Companies stay in business by not releasing any secrets to the public.  When Verizion thinks they are ready to provide the public with a phone they can support 100 percent they will announce a date.  Until then you will not hear a peep.

0 Likes
summit21
Contributor - Level 1

A red HTC One is now in the offing? Headed exclusively to Big Red in mid July?

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2013/06/27/red-htc-one-revealed/

0 Likes
summit21
Contributor - Level 1
0 Likes
mk7se
Contributor - Level 2

verizon is finally hearing about the FACT that they can't continue to offer their own cruddy-garbage versions of phones while the rest of the carries offer the best of what's available.

They thought that the DNA would be a strong competitor, but it isn't. It was a year too late.

HTC blew everyone away with the One and verizon is slowly learning that it's customers want it and not some year old one-offs.

The bottom line, is it's not hardware or bloat-ware or micro -chips or having super-powers to foresee a parts shortage, that verizon isn't offering the One.

It's pure arrogance and they are gonna start paying the price and have become a point of scrutiny. 

...and once again us, who need Verizon's coverage, will pay the price by getting a 4 month old design.

In typical verizon fashion with their cell phone offerings...They are too late to the game.

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

Has Verizon ever been the first carrier to release a top of the line phone from any manufacturer?  I ask that because I don't know.  If the answer is no, then why would anyone believe they would change their way of doing business, being that they are so big and successful.

0 Likes
AggieT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Bob2314. I could test the viber through WiFi on a GS4 and it was overheating. I have read HTC one runs a little warmer than quad core GS4 however based on your experience it sounds HTC 1 is smoother. I appreciate if you or other users comment on such VOIP applications.

My experience about the Verizon salesmen has been very random. I don't like the fact it has been very inconsistent as one person walks you through the details (say maintaining your Data plan) and the other passes you to the internet. I don't blame them as much, probably they can't affect the VZW policies more than us.

0 Likes
Bob2314
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have done much VOIP.  Some skype but not a lot.   This next week I will probably be leaving Skype on more due to the holiday and family moving around more.

Besides the quirky controls (no buttons only screen) on the phone screen ViceCity would probably be better on the HTC One than on the original game console 10yrs ago.  You can literally jump out of the game browse the internet and jump back in without missing a beat. 

They only thing I am hoping for in Android 4.2.2 is better battery life (though the HTC One is not horrible), better camera features (though they are really good) and more screens (as you only get 5 - 1 because of blink feed).

LOL - Did I mention BOOOOM Sound?  The ear buds are Freaking Great.   I don't think you get ear buds with the SG4 and that is way too bad because you get a great pair with the HTC One and three sizes of buds to boot.  Then when the buds go into your ears the sounds is EXCELLENT.

Funderbird
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sounds like the dual sim version of the HTC One in Russia and China recieved 4.2.2 update today OTA. They're expecting single sim to be relased today or tomorrow. Add about 2 months for Verizon to add their bloatware and we should see release on their network. 😉

http://androidos.in/2013/06/htc-one-dual-sim-android-4-2-2-update/

0 Likes