Re: HTC ONE part 2
nneptune
Contributor - Level 2

Random Rumor: HTC Rep Stops by a Sprint Store, Pulls Out Verizon HTC One Running 4.2.2

<Remainder of text removed per the for plagiarism.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

Cykoth

Hey All,

I too am very excited about the HTC One.  I think it's about time to upgrade my Droid 2.....so really any phone will be a huge upgrade.  I've been studying the One and the S4 for a little time now, and as much as I love the One on every feature, there is one little thing that is bothering me.  Making a phone call with a voice search command that is easy to initiate.  My wife has an iPhone 4S, and I have to admit using Siri to make phone calls and the backup and restore functionality of iTunes is very impressive.  But I've had an Android phone for almost as long as there has been Android, plus I want a larger screen.  In the end, a phone is supposed to make...phone calls.  HTC has a thing called Smart Dial  https://support.htc.com/en/005-HTC_One/050/000  which seems like a fancy name for the exact same search function in my old Droid 2.  Not impressive.  The S4 does have a function that allows voice search of contacts.  Now obviously I've not been able to use more advanced Google software like Now or Voice due to my OS version and older hardware.  So maybe there is a work around to this that I'm not aware of?  Any comments are welcome.

0 Likes
summit21
Contributor - Level 1

Rumor Verizon Rep showed off Verizon HTC One with the latest version of JB 4.2.2 at a Sprint store. What is more interesting is the comment left for the article at the bottom: " earlier today a verizon rep confirmed to me that the press event tomorrow at ctia is in fact about the htc one for verizon" take it FWIW...

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/05/21/verizon-htc-one-rumors-take-interesting-turn/

0 Likes
nneptune
Contributor - Level 2

Feel free to buy as you please.  That's certainly your choice.

I can tell you that I had the ONE for 2 weeks straight (I only returned it because the service of ATT is awful out here) and found it to be an exciting and fun phone..extremely technologically advanced!

I have used the iPhone, and to me, it's the most unexciting, boring technological thing out there. Now, I own a MacBook Pro and an iPad, but that phone is a bore.

The S4 and One have some similarities, and are both excellent phones, but in my book (and it's just my opinion), the ONE is the greatest phone I've ever had the pleasure to have used.  I'm looking forward to its release so I can have it back again!!  I can't say too many bad things about the phone. The whole experience is just plain fun and well-built!

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

Cykoth wrote:

Hey All,

I too am very excited about the HTC One.  I think it's about time to upgrade my Droid 2.....so really any phone will be a huge upgrade.  I've been studying the One and the S4 for a little time now, and as much as I love the One on every feature, there is one little thing that is bothering me.  Making a phone call with a voice search command that is easy to initiate.  My wife has an iPhone 4S, and I have to admit using Siri to make phone calls and the backup and restore functionality of iTunes is very impressive.  But I've had an Android phone for almost as long as there has been Android, plus I want a larger screen.  In the end, a phone is supposed to make...phone calls.  HTC has a thing called Smart Dial  https://support.htc.com/en/005-HTC_One/050/000  which seems like a fancy name for the exact same search function in my old Droid 2.  Not impressive.  The S4 does have a function that allows voice search of contacts.  Now obviously I've not been able to use more advanced Google software like Now or Voice due to my OS version and older hardware.  So maybe there is a work around to this that I'm not aware of?  Any comments are welcome.

i'm not sure what you're looking to do exactly? With either google now, or just the older google search widget, you can touch the microphone and say "call john doe" and it calls john doe. here is a list of the  more common voice commands and how to use them:

http://www.usemydroid.com/android-voice-commands/

you can send a text, or write and send an email, etc. etc. Google Now has many more features, but the original search widget can do quite a bit, all by voice.

edit: samsung does have it's own version of siri/google now, and it is pretty nice, but i find that i use google's voice commands A LOT more than samsungs.....but that could just be because i already knew how to use them when i got my note ii.

Cykoth

Yes I was aware of this function.  However it does not seem to work very well.  I tried to call a person on my contact list and it tried to phone someone in Britain....I had to quickly press cancel as I live in the US.  So your solution does not seem to be an easy one.  Unless their is some setup involved I'm not aware of?  It stands to reason that if Samsung created this function there was a need for it....

0 Likes
rollinguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, those who were sceptical that Verizon would use this May 22 event to announce the HTC One were right.  On to plan B.

0 Likes
Cykoth

Guess it's time to order an S4.....

0 Likes
hossman

i agree i'm sick and tired of verizon playing mind games with me over wether or not they are getting the ONE. also I wasn't thrilled about not being able to remove the battery anyway. i'm big into music and love the beats integration on my rezound so i will miss having beats.

0 Likes
ckrueger83

What an embarrassing press conference!

0 Likes