Re: Gingerbread leak 2.11.605
PJNC284
Master - Level 2

The add-on TEP covers loss, theft or physical damage and carries a deductible while the normal warranty just covers manufacturer's defects for hardware and software with no deductible.  For myself, the warranty is the furtherest thing from my mind.  I bought Android for the development community to make the phone what I want an not what Verizon thinks.  I certainly don't look to Verizon when I have an issue unless it's something major in which case I restore back to stock which is possible in most cases and see if the problem persists.  I don't overclock or stress the hardware beyond it's intended capabilities so any problem would likely be there regardless of whether or not I'm running "official" software.  It's definitely not for everyone, but the whole warranty dilemma really shouldn't be a deciding factor. 

0 Likes
DroidM
Enthusiast - Level 2

PJNC284 wrote:

The add-on TEP covers loss, theft or physical damage and carries a deductible while the normal warranty just covers manufacturer's defects for hardware and software with no deductible.  For myself, the warranty is the furtherest thing from my mind.  I bought Android for the development community to make the phone what I want an not what Verizon thinks.  I certainly don't look to Verizon when I have an issue unless it's something major in which case I restore back to stock which is possible in most cases and see if the problem persists.  I don't overclock or stress the hardware beyond it's intended capabilities so any problem would likely be there regardless of whether or not I'm running "official" software.  It's definitely not for everyone, but the whole warranty dilemma really shouldn't be a deciding factor. 

I Guess this is the point i was geting to. If the normal Warenty covers Manufacturers defects, for the hard ware 9liek a faulty data recever (bouncing from 3G to 4G consistantly poor phone signal) and software like a bad OTA update that cause your phoen to constantly reboot amoung other problems. Why is VZW only response to this is offering a USED REFURBISHED replacement of the phone that is not working and when several phones have been swaped out they refuse to do anything more. Im shore the warenty it's self states that if ther is a problem with the phone the warenty gurentees us a replacement phone that may (normaly always) be a refurbished phoen. I also will bet my last dollar that it stats that VZW will do everything in resonable to solve the problem. I point this out becaus (if this is true (Ive never read the warenty my self) If all they have been willing to do is swap defected phoens for refubished phoens and in cases wher that dose not solve the problem expcialy in cases wher several refubished phoens have been exchanged, have they realy done everything resonably posable?? My point is after 2 or 3 and in some case more refubished phones I think its resonable as the consumer to expect VZW to replace the phoen with a new one or a diferent phone of equal value (Or pay the difrence of a more expensive phone) I dont' know but for thouse of you whohave gone threw this and have thought hmmm I wonder if ther is a leagal recours, this coudl or coudl not be the angel to look at.

With all that said to me VZW dose not try to live up fully to the Warenty as it is so realy if you know what your geting into I dont' see the harm in it. Also if you own the phone then it's your choice what to do with it, if you install a bad ROM that frys the phoen it's on you and you know it, and VZW shoudl not have to pay to fix the problem.

I will say this to every budy that comes on hear and sugest ROOTING to the peopel of this fourm be straight forward about it let peopel know the Up side as well as the down side I think thats realy the root of this. Do't just say I rooted my phone or what not and it works great be responsibale with the knowledge you have and let peopel knwo iof they folow suit there are down sides to it as well.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend
Let me make something clear, I am not against modifying your device, I am a developer so this isn't the problem here, the problem is how so many think that they can come to a Service Providers site and discuss unauthorized software where the rules speak against this... 
If you choose to use this on your device that is fine and your choice but when you speak about a update on a site with some users doesnt have access to it can cause issue because the users will find it and install it and not understand that once its installed they can not return it to Verizon if they have issues.
Users has been posting here lately about how to restore their device after using unauthorized software and this is because they received info about it from here but didn't realize that Verizon didn't supply it so they also dont support it.

Morkai wrote:

No, you will not tell me and I hope anyone else what "acceptable use" of MY device is. Considering that new HTC devices will be coming with unlocked bootloaders, Verizon better get used to this fast.

If I am not mistaken provisions for warranty issues were already covered for this as well; I believe the warranty considerations for an unlocked bootloader specifically mention that if the phone was returned in stock operating condition custom roms etc would not void the warranty. There is more to this I believe, but I am not going to take 30 minutes to research it for this post.

As for your other remark, this is NOTHING like robbing a bank or committing ANY other crime, it is completely legal for me to reprogram my phone any way I wish (cloaning the ESN aside). Please do not associate us with criminals again.

Unlock Bootloader is intended for developers and ever on their support to get the software update to unlock the bootloader HTC warns that is voids the warrenty..

We strongly suggest that you do not unlock the bootloader unless you are confident that you understand the risks involved. This is a technical procedure and the side effects could possibly necessitate repairs to your device not covered under warranty. If you are still interested in unlocking the bootloader, and you understand the consequences both to your device and to your warranty, then you may refer to the following pages where we have provided the unlocking instructions.

It is our responsibility to caution you that not all claims resulting or caused by or from the unlocking of the bootloader may be covered under warranty. Please note that unlocking your bootloader does not mean that you will be able to unlock the SIM lock. Unlocking your SIM lock is at the discretion of your operator/carrier and is not part of the bootloader unlocking scope.

Source:  http://htcdev.com/bootloader

Also my only point is you are on the Service Providers site reporting that you breached your agreement and you also need to understand that this can also have your service discontinued.

PJNC284 wrote:

Just using it does NOT void your warranty regardless of what some like to think.  There's no red flag that pops up in Verizon's system once you install a non-"official" rom.  That said, whether it's informative or not, this probably isn't the best place to discuss it.  It'd be nice if Verizon embraced the development community but that's wishful thinking.

This is true but heres something to think of, this is their site and Admins and employee from the company monitor the site...  This is their red flag, you tell them..

AZSALUKI wrote

admitedly, i don't pay that much attention to my contract and the fine print, but how is an unofficial rom any different than a third party app (particularly ones like swype, that aren't even available in the market)? again, i'm no expert, but does installing swype void the warranty? if not, why not and why would an unofficial rom? technically, can't nearly ANYTHING you load void the warranty?

The diffrence is that Verizon support does not have methods of restoring the device to stock from a unofficial build of the OS and Motorola usually has to restore the device because without root access you can not revert to a older build, when you install swype you can simply uninstall it or hard reset device.

I would say this is a big diffrence.

0 Likes
Wildman
Legend

The diffrence is that Verizon support does not have methods of restoring the device to stock from a unofficial build of the OS and Motorola usually has to restore the device because without root access you can not revert to a older build, when you install swype you can simply uninstall it or hard reset device.

I would say this is a big diffrence.

:smileysurprised: I meant HTC not Motorola or any manufacturer in that opinion...  :smileywink::smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes
AZSALUKI
Legend

i suppose that makes "sense"

0 Likes