Re: Frequent disconnects from 4g and Mobile Hotspot
eithnemcbride
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well I was mad! After I thought about the millions of Verizon customers

and the billions of dollars Verizon is making, I filed a complaint with the

Better Business Bureau. I have no problem with my phone service itself but

for the money I'm paying for a data package and a mobile hotspot, I expect

either consistent high quality or I expect the problem to be acknowledged

honestly, addressed, and a solution found.

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 2:02 PM, IsaiahIsrael <community@verizonwireless.com

IsaiahIsrael
Enthusiast - Level 2

I KNOW THE FIX!!!! AT LEAST IT WORKED FOR ME AND I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING.  I'VE USED NEW PHONES, RESET MY PHONE, GOT A NEW SIM CARD, TALKED TO TECH SUPPORT OVER AND OVER TRYING TO FIX IT...THEN FINALLY TONIGHT I MUST OF GOT SOMEONE WITH SOME SENSE BECAUSE SHE WAS WAS CONFIDENT SHE KNEW THE FIX, AND IT TURNS OUT SHE WAS RIGHT. 

i HOPE YOU GUYS ARE READY FOR THIS BECAUSE YOU AREN'T GOING TO BELIEVE HOW EASY THE FIX IS.  i'M SURE YOU ALL ARE USING THE DEFAULT NAME GIVEN FOR YOUR NETWORK, ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS CHANGE THE NAME OF YOUR NETWORK.  SHE DIDN'T SPECIFY WEATHER A CERTAIN NAME IS IMPORTANT BUT I JUST CHANGED MINE TO MYNETWORK.  THIS SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE THAT THE FIX COULD BE SO EASY BUT IT WORKS!!!  BEFORE I GOT KICKED CONSTANTLY WHEN I WAS ON BY MYSELF, NOW MY MOTHER AND I BOTH CAN SURF THE WEB WITH NO PROBLEMS.  I TRIED EVERYTHING I COULD TO GET IT TO DISCONNECT AND IT STAYED STRONG THE WHOLE TIME. 

SHE ALSO TOLD ME TO MAKE SURE IT'S ON WPA2 SECURITY AND THE REST SHOULD BE DEFAULT.  THIS IS ALL ON A DROID CHARGE SO IF IT DOESN'T WORK FOR YOU THEN IT MIGHT BE ANOTHER PROBLEM YOU ARE HAVING.  I REALLY HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE BECAUSE I KNOW THE PAIN OF PUTTING UP WITH THIS ISSUE.

PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS!!

0 Likes
Frankperk1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have had the same problem with my Thunderbolt for the last few days.  The hotspot service was fine for the first week or so... I tried new SIM cards, reprogramming, changed network names and a half dozen calls to VZW.  I'm in training this week with the NEED for the service, and again, VZW has let me down. Very disappointing. I think VZW launched 4G a year before it was ready. And somehow, they see fit to charge for it! I am 1year into a 2 year contract and can't wait to get back to Sprint.  While the coverage wasn't quite as good, the service works as advertised and the vendor doesn't deceive their customers.

rocco225
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is a known issue with the Thunderbolt. It is well documented - but not by Verizon who act like they've never heard of it before.

The phone gets a rock solid 4G signal on the handset itself but when you turn on the hotspot you're lucky if you get 10-15 minutes of solid surfing. The connection between the TB and the computer is fine. Its the data connection with the TB that suddenly stops working.  Its very frustrating. When I tether with the USB cable instead of mobile hotspot (that I pay for) I can surf for hours without issue. Once I activate the hotspot, the phone goes into stupid mode.  Here's what I did:

Swapped the SIM card at Verizon - Nothing Resolved

Master Reset (wiping entire phone and beginning for scratch) - Nothing Resolved

Enabling Roaming Data - Nothing Resolved

Changing WiFi Channels - Nothing Resolved

Current Software 2.11.605.9

HTC Sense version: 2.1

If you google this problem you will find many more with this problem.    If anyone knows a solution I may have missed, please post it! Its frustrating to pay for a service you can't use. The only reason I don't cancel is because I don't want to lose my grandfathered unlimited data.  I acquired the phone second hand so Verizon won't help me.

Roc

0 Likes
IsaiahIsrael
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok roc, try this.  Give your network a name, dont use default.  Also make sure you are using wpa2 security.  Once you connect to your pc dont save the connection.  And remember to never save it.  Always connect manually and when you are done using the internet disconnect it.  I dont know why but it helped me stop losing connection as much.  It still drops time to time but i can go for a long time without a drop.  Anyway just try changing the network name and never save the connection. And always disconnect once you are done.

>> Content deleted due to violation of Verizon Community Terms of Service <<

• Posts that describe how to violate any Verizon or Verizon Wireless policy or term or condition are considered unacceptable will have the offensive language deleted.
  • Posts that discuss hacking and/or rooting a wireless device from any carrier will be removed.

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator Please read and adhere to the Terms of Service to avoid having your posts edited or deleted.

0 Likes
rocco225
Enthusiast - Level 2

IsaiahIsrael,

Can you explain what you mean by changing your network name?  Are you talking about the SSID?  If so - that has absolutely nothing to do with this issue. I change my SSID routinely and that has no effect on how the hotspot feature behaves. If you meant something else, please elaborate so I can try it.

Thanks!

Roc

0 Likes
IsaiahIsrael
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes im talking about the ssid. If that didnt help you then i dont know man.  I had the same issue and it was bad.  I got kicked constantly and since i started changing the SSID and making sure i didnt save the connection it got much better.  My problem almost went away completely.  It still drops sometimes but i usually just have to wait for about 20 or less and it comes back.

0 Likes
Spach01
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was frustrated by this issue. Looks like changing the ssid name helped a bit. Tried just past 10 minutes and still holding the connection. I hope this solves my problem.

0 Likes
i_wish_u_wuld

well this method might work for some of you guys with the connection drop out problem or it mite not but its working for me right now and i passed the 10 minute mark where it usually drops off connection when using hot spot . First  i went into the power settings of the phone and took off both power saving options (i think that has alot to do with the connection cutting off probably because hotspot uses alot of battery.. even while charging) then since im in a 3g area i went into settings then wireless networks and under mobile settings i changed the network mode to cdma only . then i went into display setting and made the screen never turn off . so far its been 20 minutes but im extremely happy it got this far already lol try it out

0 Likes
baraknd
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am going to try this. How has this fix worked over long term?

0 Likes