Re: Frequent disconnects from 4g and Mobile Hotspot
dcpmark
Enthusiast - Level 2
Unfortunately, just setting it to LTE mode only didn't fix the problem for me. I still got the data dropouts and cycling. I'm on my third day of the "restart method", and so far no MHS problems!
0 Likes
NoStopN

I might give that method a try. It still seems like a hassle, but at this point, I'll take any method that stops the data dropping.

0 Likes
Send2cbd

My MHS was fine on the TB till I did the 2.3.4 upgrade.  Now, it runs for 10 mins and then MHS app has message "no mobile network".  Can I go back to 2.2?  Under old OS MHS would run for hpurs okay.  Now, it sucks.

0 Likes
y3sh

I was having the same problem on the Droid Razr's hotspot, so I finicked around with the wifi settings for a while.

The problem was solved when I turned off encryption and left the network open.  I enforce what devices can connect by each one's MAC address.

0 Likes
fifteenkey
Enthusiast - Level 3
This has been a problem since the day this phone was released and is a source of increasing frustration. What are we paying for by paying for the mobile hotspot? It's on, then off, then on, then off... Maddening. When are Verizon and HTC going to get this thing fixed?
0 Likes
chrisprice
Enthusiast - Level 1

I can confirm that this issue appears to be device-independent. I've reproduced the same problematic pings as others have on just about every Verizon LTE smartphone. I am not rooted and am on the $30/month hotspot unlimited plan.

I've thus far reproduced this on: Thunderbolt, Revolution, DROID BIONIC, DROID RAZR. I have yet to test on DROID CHARGE and Pantech Breakout.

I suspect this issue is related to the Verizon LTE Mobile Hotspot proxy (Modem NAI) and not to the device itself. It appears some accounts are having this problem, but not others. Verizon refuses to confirm the issue, and I've had two trouble tickets closed... one blaming an out of date PRL (which it wasn't), and the second blaming client Wi-Fi devices (despite noting that it occurs on all client devices tested).

Unfortunately, Verizon may be suffering from network congestion issues, and prioritizing LTE hotspot traffic (since it is unlimited, and not on the handset), at the lowest network priority. That would explain the issue possibly (and I do underscore possibly) being only in areas that are congested.

cee_jay_009
Enthusiast - Level 1

This issue has been well documented by tech sites outside of Verizon. The issue is with their SIM cards used for authenticating the devices on the Verizon network. The authentication keeps dropping causing the connection to drop and/or go dormant. Verizon has been made aware of this issue but hasn't done enough (if anything) to fix it. Verizon customers affected by this issue have begun to lodge complaints online, with the Better Business Bureau. Verizon isn't correcting the problem but they have no issue holding us to our 2 year plans at $x.xx dollars a month for a service that is simply awful. Lodge your complaints and spread the word. It's the only way to get Verizon to start taking ownership for their problem.

eithnemcbride
Enthusiast - Level 1

This is driving me absolutely crazy - I can't believe I signed up to pay $20 a month for this service!  Once in blue moon, I actually stay connected for an hour or two but most of the time, I can barely stay on longer than 30 minutes (if I'm lucky) before having to restart the phone/do a battery pull/something that doesn't involve throwing my phone out the window in frustration. 

(I have a Samsung Stratosphere, by the way)

evetskirk
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the htc rezound and am having the same issues with my hotspot loosing connection. It will stay on for about 15 min. then it is on and off for about 15 seconds at a time. Really is annoying and pisses me off. I have been on phone with tech support and with htc tech support to no avail. No one wants to own up to this problem and or wants to do anything about it. I have tried every conceivable thing I can think of to try and troubleshoot this myself and am totally puzzulled. It needs to be corrected as they are charging us for something we are not getting and that's just not right. I don't know what else to do but to keep complaining about it to them. I had read in another forum that it has something to do with cdma and the way it connects itself to the network. All I do know for sure is it needs fixed!!!

IsaiahIsrael
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had no idea this problem was so big.  I've also been having this issue and have called tech support several times and they act as though it's only me having this issue.  Well, they at least never told me that it's a common issue and they are working on a fix.  The thing is they know they have most of us weather we like it or not; because we dont have another option.  At least thats the case for me. 

I have a Samsung charge and the 30 dollar unlimited data plan on my phone and mobile hotspot.  I pay 60 dollars a month for internet that is garbage most the time. (wish i lived where i could have cable again when i paid 40 a month for unlimited 30Mb down and 10 Mb up and never slowed me down or lost connection, man i miss cable :'(  ) I have to reload youtube over and over during videos because it just stops downloading them.  even though i'm still online according to my phone and PC.  When it disconnects i just have to wait for a minute, (give or take) and it comes back. Sometimes in a few seconds its back, but it never resumes the youtube download, so i have to refresh the page.  Very frustrating paying so much for such bad service.  Hate that verizon takes 200 dollars a month from me, I bet they laugh all the way to the bank though. 

BTW i'm not even using 4g because it's not in my area, this is all on 3g.  I guess the only thing that makes me feel better about all this is knowing now i'm not the only one.  Let's see i paid 300 for my phone and 200 a month for my service, thats 2300 dollars i've given verizon and they can't even be honest with me about their service having bugs. 

YOU COULD AT LEAST BE HONEST WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS VERIZON AND TELL US THE TRUTH RATHER THAN STEAL OUR MONEY AND SPIT IN OUR FACES!!!!  I'm actually not even mad really, i'm used to mega corporations screwing me over.  it's what they seem to do best these days.