Re: Faint ringing HTC One
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

I've had 3 incidents of faint ringing so far, and all 3 occurred when I was in a low-signal area...though that may actually mean it's a situation when the phone is searching/switching to a different band to find a better signal, not that the low-signal itself causes the ringing.

In all 3 of these incidents my phone's Preferred Network was set as LTE/CDMA.  I just-now switched to Global (per that suggestion a few posts back).  We'll see if this makes a difference, see if it prevents a recurrence.  The difficulty with troubleshooting, for me, is that the 3 times so far when the issue occurred I was in an odd place far from home...so it may be a while before a situation arises that triggers the ringing.  But if that's the case, I'm glad, because it means that the problem will be rare for me, even if it's not fixed.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

HighDesert wrote:

It would be nice if Moderators could move this thread from generic Android to the new HTC One forum.

Maybe they haven't gotten to it yet.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
macri
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately my phone has gotten the faint ringing again with the supposed fix implemented. I'm going to keep bothering verizon and HTC till we get some sort of resolution to the problem.

0 Likes
gambrej
Enthusiast - Level 3

Mine has not began to do the faint ringing anymore since I changed Sims

cards but I have noticed that the connection on the HTC ONE is not as good

as other phones I have had. If I get anywhere inside of a closed in steel

building mine will lose connection. My Motorola razr HD never done this or

did the Samsung galaxy S4 I had. I think it has something to do with the

stainless steel back in it. Anybody else have this issue. As soon as I walk

to an open door in the building I get good connection.

0 Likes
macri
Enthusiast - Level 3

I may have slightly worse reception than I had with my rezound indoors, but it isn't bad. My reception has always been spotty while at work.

My latest endeavor with troubleshooting this problem has been disabled global mode and have put the phone on lte/cdma only. I kept roaming to allow for all trips and notification sound is still off. So far no ringing, this is the longest I have made it in a day without hearing the noise. I will update after a few days to see if it happens again.

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

HighDesert wrote:

...The difficulty with troubleshooting, for me, is that the 3 times so far when the issue occurred I was in an odd place far from home...so it may be a while before a situation arises that triggers the ringing....

Another data point:  I just had the ringing again -- my 4th time....I was once again in an "odd place far from home".

This time I was holding the phone when it started, so I had the opportunity to look at signal strength and band on the notification bar immediately:  At the moment the ringing started (or maybe a second or two after) there was no band indicator, e.g., no "3G" or "4G" showing, but within a second "4G" popped up -- I think it had been 3G just before..  So it sure seems like this occurred when the phone was switching between bands or at least trying to find a better band.

To get the ringing to stop I had to turn the phone off (with fast boot disabled).

FWIW:  The preferred network was "Global", and Roaming was "All trips"

0 Likes
Klue
Master - Level 1

If you are going to keep bothering VZW and HTC about this problem and use this forum for your platform then your efforts will  probably not be read.

Take your concers to their corporate headquarters, especially their PR departments. PR departments usually forward all this stuff up the chain of command.

0 Likes
CalebSpronk
Enthusiast - Level 2

I had my HTC One in "LTE, CDMA" only mode (note this is not the LTE/CDMA mode in your normal settings, but "LTE, CDMA" mode in the LTE On/Off app... which means that it won't use EvDo bands, or more commonly referred to as Verizon's 3G band) for several days and didn't have the ringing occur. Then, I decided to try the suggested method coming from the Verizon representative (turning roaming to "allow access for all trips", the data roaming sound to off, and the preferred network to "Global") and that day I had it ring again. I'm really thinking it has to deal with switching networks because I was in the basement of my apartment building when it happened, somewhere I get virtually no signal.

If anyone can live without having 3G data, and is in a routine where the ringing happens frequently (more frequently than my once a week), I'd love for you to go to just LTE and CDMA via the LTE On/Off app and see if that helps. Note that you can still make phone calls and send/receive texts with this option, you'll just jump down to 2G (or 1X) speeds when you can't get LTE. For my area, that's totally acceptable since I'm in the heart of a metro area, but I understand if it's not for you guys. I'll keep my phone in this mode for the foreseeable future, and will report back with any new findings.

Additionally, I think the level of volume for the ringing is variable... this last time, I was holding the phone in my hand in a quiet basement, and it took me awhile to even recognize the noise. I could only hear it if the device was held close to my ear, and if I held it at arms length, I couldn't hear it at all. In previous occasions it might have also taken me some time to hear it, but they were in much louder situations (like running vehicles). And with the one user stating it was very loud, my guess is it's not always the same volume.

0 Likes
HighDesert
Contributor - Level 2

If you are going to keep bothering VZW and HTC about this problem and use this forum for your platform then your efforts will  probably not be read.

HTC has been contacted, as already noted early in this thread.

Only the VZW version has this problem...it clearly is a VZW issue -- that is, something specific to whatever makes the VZW version different, otherwise the phones on the other 3 carriers would have the problem and they don't.

The real point of this thread is NOT to get action from HTC, since manufacturers or carriers rarely respond to User Forum content (it's a user-to-user forum, after all).  It's primary value is to see if there's a simple "fix" within the limits of the existing phone.

And if HTC/VZW are contacted directly, it provides a place to point to, to show that one individual's problem is not unique.

And, if nothing else, it provides "moral support" to sufferers so that they know they are not alone.

0 Likes
dsblade
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, the ringing just happened to me again, even with the latest settings that were being discussed - Preferred Network: Global mode, Data roaming: All trips, Roaming Sound: Disabled. I'd left my radio settings on the default CDMA/EvDo/GSM/WCDMA/LTE auto.

Here's some further debugging data that I captured just after the ringing started:

Signal Strength: -97 dBm 1 asu

Roaming: Not roaming

GSM service: In service

0 Likes